Eric Weddle

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Eric Weddle

Post by DK Sweets »

Weddle, Chargers could be moving on

There are probably better links out there; I just posted one I had just read to give a little bit of background knowledge on the situation.

The Chargers seem to be ready to move on from him, and the Vikings have a young team that may or may not need another safety...but definitely would be improved with Weddle.

My question is this: If he could be had for a 2nd round pick and a 3-4 year contract at his current salary of $8m, would you make the move?

For reference, our five biggest free agents heading into next year are Greenway, Wright, Ellison, Walsh, and Asiata. Not exactly huge money being spent. Assuming we knock down the numbers on Adrian Peterson ($15m) and Kalil ($11m), I would guess we have a conservative estimate of around $15m of space even after Smith gets extended. The only player on that list that I'm sure will be back is Walsh. Ellison is probable, and even though I like Wright, he is expendable unless he reaches a team-friendly contract.

I'm intrigued by the possibility, although I'm still not sure I would make the move. I'm wondering what others think.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Eric Weddle

Post by dead_poet »

I would not offer up a second-rounder, that's for sure. Probably not even a fourth. And I'm thinking $8 million/year is too rich. Right now his salary makes him the sixth highest-paid safety in the league. With the Vikings needing to extend Smith, there's no way they're committing that much to the safety spot. I just don't see it.

Plus, there's a ton of competition on the roster at safety right now. I think Zimmer and Spielman are fine with the bodies they have.

Most likely outcome here is that Weddle plays out his contract and hits free agency after the year. If he continues to play well he'll get paid OK for a guy that'll be 31 when 2016 season opens, but that won't be with the Vikings.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Yeah a 2nd seems a little steep although I would do a 4th. The only concern I would have is how he would compliment Smith as he's a similar downhill hard hitting type of safety. A cover/ballhawk type guy might be a better fit.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Harrison Smith is just as good if not better than Weddle. He is overrated. Harrison should have made the Pro Bowl over him.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:Harrison Smith is just as good if not better than Weddle. He is overrated. Harrison should have made the Pro Bowl over him.
I'm not comparing him to Smith. I agree that Smith is better. I'm just wondering it would be worth it to have a Earl Thomas/Kam Chancellor type duo back there.

The salary concerns are legit, but I'm not sold on the idea that the loss of a draft pick would hurt us that much. We have a really talented young roster and I'd like to see us add a bit of veteran presence and start attacking This year for deep playoff runs. I'm also not concerned about the fit in the defense (I personally don't think he's overrated at all).
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Plus, there's a ton of competition on the roster at safety right now. I think Zimmer and Spielman are fine with the bodies they have.
I don't think they are fine with any of them...or there wouldn't be the competition there is. The starter for most of last year was benched late in the season. They don't even have a starter at this point.

No way I'd want a 30 year old safety for any pick. Maybe as a free agent signing for half of what he is asking...and that's despite only having one NFL caliber safety on the roster.