Where to eat, what to see in Minneapolis?

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

S197
Fenrir

Where to eat, what to see in Minneapolis?

Post by S197 »

I'll be in town for the San Diego game and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on where to eat or any "must see" type stuff. Looking for places to eat/bars on the more casual end, maybe somewhere with a good craft beer selection. It's me, my dad, and my brother so it doesn't need to be fancy. We're pretty adventurous when it comes to food although stuff like lutefisk might be a little too adventurous....

If anyone is going to the game and wants to meet up, let me know too.
jackal
Strong Safety

Re: Where to eat, what to see in Minneapolis?

Post by jackal »

http://www.twincities.com/restaurants/c ... d-your-eat

I ate at the Butcher and the Boar ... Very good food and Beer

http://sallyssaloon.net/

close to university stadium and very popular
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

You're the second person to recommend the Butcher and the Boar. Think I'll have to make a stop there. Sounds pretty popular, do you need reservations?

Also anyone have suggestions on where to stay?
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

What kind of food do you like?
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

PurpleMustReign wrote:What kind of food do you like?
I'm not super picky although I don't like sweets all that much. When I travel, I usually try to go for local foods that you can't get elsewhere or at least not at the same quality level.
Ohjay
Veteran

Post by Ohjay »

S197 wrote: We're pretty adventurous when it comes to food although stuff like lutefisk might be a little too adventurous....
Oh god.. did the Scandinavian immigrants bring that aberration with them to 'sota? I feel for you :lol:

Anyway, I've heard a lot of good things about the Happy Gnome in St. Paul if you can consider going over there. They seem to have a great craft beer selection. I didn't have a chance to visit in my last two trips to Minneapolis, so I don't have any first hand experience.
http://thehappygnome.com/

If you want steak I recommend Manny's (Marquette & 9th). I've never been disappointed by the food there. You might need a reservation if you're going on a friday/saturday night.

Across the street from Manny's you have a small grill establishment, 8th street grill. Decent selection of craft beer and quite good burgers.

Hell's Kitchen has great breakfast & brunch.
http://www.hellskitcheninc.com/

Not sure what's there to see in Minneapolis tbh and I'm sure some locals can give some great suggestions.

The Mill Ruins Park(Portland Ave, by the Mississippi) is slightly interesting if you're into old history.
Next to that is the Gold Medal Flour Mill, which was a museum(I think) last time I was there, might also be interesting.

The area around the lakes(Cedar, Calhoun) is supposed to be really nice if you're into nature and a chill atmosphere. I didn't have a chance to visit myself but was recommended it by some locals.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Ohjay wrote: Oh god.. did the Scandinavian immigrants bring that aberration with them to 'sota? I feel for you :lol:
I don't know how prevalent it is but I saw it on Bizarre Foods. That guy Zimmern is from Minnesota. I don't know, fish soaked in lye is a little too much for me and even he didn't seem to be enjoying himself...

Anyway, I've heard a lot of good things about the Happy Gnome in St. Paul if you can consider going over there. They seem to have a great craft beer selection. I didn't have a chance to visit in my last two trips to Minneapolis, so I don't have any first hand experience.
http://thehappygnome.com/

If you want steak I recommend Manny's (Marquette & 9th). I've never been disappointed by the food there. You might need a reservation if you're going on a friday/saturday night.

Across the street from Manny's you have a small grill establishment, 8th street grill. Decent selection of craft beer and quite good burgers.

Hell's Kitchen has great breakfast & brunch.
http://www.hellskitcheninc.com/

Not sure what's there to see in Minneapolis tbh and I'm sure some locals can give some great suggestions.

The Mill Ruins Park(Portland Ave, by the Mississippi) is slightly interesting if you're into old history.
Next to that is the Gold Medal Flour Mill, which was a museum(I think) last time I was there, might also be interesting.

The area around the lakes(Cedar, Calhoun) is supposed to be really nice if you're into nature and a chill atmosphere. I didn't have a chance to visit myself but was recommended it by some locals.
Thanks for the suggestions, we'll have a car so we should be able to check some of those places out. As for steak, we're probably going to Ward's in Milwaukee, which is supposed to have massive prime rib so we might be good on steakhouses for now.
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

S197 wrote:You're the second person to recommend the Butcher and the Boar. Think I'll have to make a stop there. Sounds pretty popular, do you need reservations?

Also anyone have suggestions on where to stay?
Butcher and the Boar is quite expensive - it's extremely tasty though, it's located near Loring Park, close to my office, actually.

My first thought was to suggest George and the Dragon: http://www.ganddpub.com/ - So delicious. One of my favorite spots in Minneapolis. You'll not be disappointed.

Also, check out Surly's new beer hall/brewery.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

frosted wrote: Butcher and the Boar is quite expensive - it's extremely tasty though, it's located near Loring Park, close to my office, actually.

My first thought was to suggest George and the Dragon: http://www.ganddpub.com/ - So delicious. One of my favorite spots in Minneapolis. You'll not be disappointed.

Also, check out Surly's new beer hall/brewery.
Made a reservation for Butcher, it's about a 5 minute walk from our hotel according to Google. We were thinking of hitting Surly's after the game, would that be a good idea? I don't know how hard it is to get a cab/uber after the game. I hear traffic is pretty bad and the rail too since everyone is leaving all at once.

Is George and the Dragon in downtown? Since it looks like we're staying close to where you work, any nearby bars you would recommend?
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Butcher is really really good food .. I have never been to TCF

Have a great time man... I am Jealous .. Chargers game
maybe A.P. runs for over 300 yards against them laughs
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

jackal wrote:Butcher is really really good food .. I have never been to TCF

Have a great time man... I am Jealous .. Chargers game
maybe A.P. runs for over 300 yards against them laughs
Thanks, pretty excited about my first game live. We're driving to Lambeau after to watch the Pack play the Chiefs (my brother's team) on Monday night. Still deciding if I want to wear a Vikings jersey there :lol:
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Thanks, pretty excited about my first game live. We're driving to Lambeau after to watch the Pack play the Chiefs (my brother's team) on Monday night. Still deciding if I want to wear a Vikings jersey there :lol:
I have heard there fans will talk a lot of smack but leave it that ....I wouldn't wear Vikings Jersey anywhere else anymore..
Our society is just a mess, and too many ignorant people in this world. The last pre season game I went to (that I wore a
Vikings jersey) Vikings vs 49ers 2009? or 2010... Farve was there ....I had multiple problems with people.. I was with three
teenage kids and I end up shoving a guy into car in the parking lot.. drunk guy who blocked my path..He got some sore ribs
and back and I drove off. 49ers games are almost as bad as Oakland now .. They had a shooting at a 49ers / Raiders game
in the last few years...I saw several really bad fights in the stands where police (8-10) took several minutes to gain control
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

S197 wrote: Made a reservation for Butcher, it's about a 5 minute walk from our hotel according to Google. We were thinking of hitting Surly's after the game, would that be a good idea? I don't know how hard it is to get a cab/uber after the game. I hear traffic is pretty bad and the rail too since everyone is leaving all at once.

Is George and the Dragon in downtown? Since it looks like we're staying close to where you work, any nearby bars you would recommend?
You won't be disappointed with Butcher and the Boar. It's honestly fantastic. I recommend the lobster grilled cheese. Simply amazing.

Surly after the game would be ideal - it's less than a mile from the Bank, so you could probably just walk there after the game.

Light rail can be hectic for Viking games. I think you'd be better off using Uber. Usually the best way to go. I have used the light rail for a Viking game at the Bank, the only downside is when you leave, the line to get on is a mile long.

George and the Dragon isn't downtown, it's in SW Minneapolis, in the Lynnhurst neighborhood, so a little further, but definitely worth it. Highly recommend the Asian Hangover if you choose to dine there.

As far as bars I would recommend near my office - The Bulldog (Downtown, there's another location in Northeast) is good- Eli's is a quality spot to have a drink and grab a bite to eat (get the Egg Sandwich if you go to Eli's - delicious). Britt's Pub is really cool as well. I would try to stop in there for a drink if you get the chance.

I don't know if you've ever been, but in my biased opinion, it's a wonderful city. St. Paul is also really cool.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

When I went to Minnesota, my girlfriend found this really cool mall...
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

frosted wrote:You won't be disappointed with Butcher and the Boar. It's honestly fantastic. I recommend the lobster grilled cheese. Simply amazing.

Surly after the game would be ideal - it's less than a mile from the Bank, so you could probably just walk there after the game.

Light rail can be hectic for Viking games. I think you'd be better off using Uber. Usually the best way to go. I have used the light rail for a Viking game at the Bank, the only downside is when you leave, the line to get on is a mile long.

George and the Dragon isn't downtown, it's in SW Minneapolis, in the Lynnhurst neighborhood, so a little further, but definitely worth it. Highly recommend the Asian Hangover if you choose to dine there.

As far as bars I would recommend near my office - The Bulldog (Downtown, there's another location in Northeast) is good- Eli's is a quality spot to have a drink and grab a bite to eat (get the Egg Sandwich if you go to Eli's - delicious). Britt's Pub is really cool as well. I would try to stop in there for a drink if you get the chance.

I don't know if you've ever been, but in my biased opinion, it's a wonderful city. St. Paul is also really cool.
Thanks man, appreciate all the suggestions. Do you think we could get away with taking the rail over to TCF (leave early) then use Uber to get back to the hotel?

We're only spending a few days in Minnesota so not sure if we can get out to St. Paul. I plan on going back next year when the new stadium opens so at that point I'll have much more time to explore.