new extra point rule.

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

new extra point rule.

Post by Norv Zimmer »

I personally like it. It will make a good kicker more valuable and more teams are likely to try 2 pt conversions especially when the weather is bad.
Good thing we have a good kicker!
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Re: new extra point rule.

Post by Hunter Morrow »

I liked the idea of the abolishment of it and moving the 2 conversion conversion to the 1 yard line.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

So if the 2-point conversion is at the 2 yard line, can you still try a fake FG from the 15 or are you locked in for a FG if you move back to the 15?
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

What about if there's a penalty on a kick? Can you elect to try the 2-point conversion instead at the 2? Or vice-versa? If a TD puts a team up by 1 or 2 with under a minute to go can they choose to kneel instead of risking a turnover/block?
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:What about if there's a penalty on a kick? Can you elect to try the 2-point conversion instead at the 2? Or vice-versa? If a TD puts a team up by 1 or 2 with under a minute to go can they choose to kneel instead of risking a turnover/block?
Good question. If the point of the rule change is to make the game more exciting, the answer should probably be "no" but if I'm not mistaken, that would make the conversion play unique in that sense, since the offense would have the option to kneel in every other situation.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

dead_poet wrote:What about if there's a penalty on a kick? Can you elect to try the 2-point conversion instead at the 2? Or vice-versa? If a TD puts a team up by 1 or 2 with under a minute to go can they choose to kneel instead of risking a turnover/block?
NFL Vice President of Officiating Dean Blandino said teams could change their attempt decision if a penalty occurs. For instance, if a team chooses to go for two points and is called for an offensive penalty, they could then decide to kick a 1-point try.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... 015-season
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pseudo Everything
Transition Player

Post by Pseudo Everything »

The Eagles proposed moving the ball to the 1 yard line (in addition to moving it back to the 15 for a kicking attempt) but it was rejected for consideration.

Did Chip sign Tebow just in case their PAT proposal was successful?
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Cliff wrote:So if the 2-point conversion is at the 2 yard line, can you still try a fake FG from the 15 or are you locked in for a FG if you move back to the 15?
I would assume you could still do a fake since you could run it with the same mechanics as a regular field goal try. If you manage to get it into the endzone you get 2 points, if it goes through the goalposts you get 1 point.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Personally, I like the going for two aspect. I adds another physical and risk taker aspect, to this game.
It also returns the game to its physical aspect, which I love. I am hoping the Vikings line up eight three
hundred pound guys (OT and DT) and let one of backs follow Baps into the end zone.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

I like it, extra points werent originally so automatic, i think the game had passed them by. Great idea to move them back, and long over due.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I still say the opposing team should get to choose who has to kick the extra point. Now that would make it entertaining!