Tanehill extended

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Tanehill extended

Post by dead_poet »

@AdamSchefter Dolphins are giving QB Ryan Tanehill a six-year, $96 million extension that includes $45 million guaranteed, per league source.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Tanehill extended

Post by dead_poet »

*eeeeee eee eeeek*

"I'm a Dolphin!"

“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

:rofl:
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

OMG, if he is worth that, what is Teddy worth??? :shock:
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleMustReign wrote:OMG, if he is worth that, what is Teddy worth??? :shock:
We'll know in a few years.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mothman wrote: We'll know in a few years.
Exactly. Teddy's body of work to date doesn't yet support a Tanehill-level extension.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

dead_poet wrote: Exactly. Teddy's body of work to date doesn't yet support a Tanehill-level extension.
Suppose Teddy looks great this year, and suppose the going rate for QBs is 20 mil a year. Would you consider extending him early (with 2 years and an option left on his contract) to something like an 8 year deal for 100 million plus whatever remains on his rookie deal in order to reduce the cap hit over the last 5 of those 8 years by absorbing some of it now? I would imagine that players might be open to this kind of thing as it really reduces the financial impact of injury for them, but probably gives up a slightly higher pay day when their rookie deal is up.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

fiestavike wrote:Suppose Teddy looks great this year, and suppose the going rate for QBs is 20 mil a year. Would you consider extending him early (with 2 years and an option left on his contract) to something like an 8 year deal for 100 million plus whatever remains on his rookie deal in order to reduce the cap hit over the last 5 of those 8 years by absorbing some of it now? I would imagine that players might be open to this kind of thing as it really reduces the financial impact of injury for them, but probably gives up a slightly higher pay day when their rookie deal is up.
That's a lot of hypotheticals for me but I'll ask this: has a quarterback ever been extended to that degree that early in his contract? Kaepernick might be a close example and not a particularly good one (http://www.inquisitr.com/2096386/san-fr ... be-traded/ ). I don't think you do, not with so much remaining on a very cheap contract. I would probably want a greater sample size before forking over that kind of cash. But it's so hard to determine without having seen his 2015. So much can happen. And if he plays well, well to what degree? The more I think about it the more I want to see him play two full seasons before thinking about an extension, most likely in 2017.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote:Suppose Teddy looks great this year, and suppose the going rate for QBs is 20 mil a year. Would you consider extending him early (with 2 years and an option left on his contract) to something like an 8 year deal for 100 million plus whatever remains on his rookie deal in order to reduce the cap hit over the last 5 of those 8 years by absorbing some of it now? I would imagine that players might be open to this kind of thing as it really reduces the financial impact of injury for them, but probably gives up a slightly higher pay day when their rookie deal is up.
I think that's too soon. Like dead_poet, I'd want to see at least two full seasons of his play before extending his contract, and that's assuming (as we are in this hypothetical scenario) that he looks great.

Would you make a deal like that?
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote: I think that's too soon. Like dead_poet, I'd want to see at least two full seasons of his play before extending his contract, and that's assuming (as we are in this hypothetical scenario) that he looks great.

Would you make a deal like that?
I'm not sure. I think it depends on cap situation but I'd be inclined to consider it seriously. Especially since NFL contracts are not guaranteed, if he regresses you don't lose that much, and you maybe are putting yourself in position to retain a couple extra starter caliber players over each of the next 8 years by paying 15 million instead of 20 million a year to your QB. The risk seems more financial than tactical, so since it isn't my money, I lean toward making that deal...Probably only possible once Peterson's contract is done though.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Seemed like a fair deal for his performance, versus what most of the other QB's are making now.
I can't believe Seattle is dragging their feet, on Wilson. He is going cost them, a ton of money.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

jackal wrote:Seemed like a fair deal for his performance, versus what most of the other QB's are making now.
I can't believe Seattle is dragging their feet, on Wilson. He is going cost them, a ton of money.

I hope they stick to their guns and don't do the slow creep ego boost of making him "the highest paid QB" by .3 million dollars. Hes a good QB, he isn't worth 126 million or whatever though, imo
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

IrishViking wrote:

I hope they stick to their guns and don't do the slow creep ego boost of making him "the highest paid QB" by .3 million dollars. Hes a good QB, he isn't worth 126 million or whatever though, imo
Seattle should have drafted Hundley.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Unless Wilson becomes a star QB that can carry his team, the Seahawks can kiss being a contender goodbye. Hope they enjoyed their 15 minutes.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

fiestavike wrote: Seattle should have drafted Hundley.
I couldnt believe Hundley fell so far.

For whatever reason, I completely anticipated him being the next franchise QB for Chicago.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011