Making the case for CB Marcus Peters

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Making the case for CB Marcus Peters

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:Maybe I can help by posting a few of my notes/videos. Note, he obviously makes his share of good plays and can stay in a receiver's hip pocket at times. I'm not expecting him to be perfect here, but maybe I have higher expectations for his draft position.

(snip)

Again, I hate being put in position to say I don't like him. I do. I just don't think he's top-11 NFL draft good. He has areas that he really needs to improve. I think he can but I also don't think he's going to be a better pro than Rhodes.
He might not be...

I appreciate the effort you went to in that post. I saw the whole Baylor game and he did struggle in that one, although he was injured so that's a mitigating factor. I've seen the other videos you posted too and I can't argue that some of the plays you pointed to were bad plays. However, my take on that is that basically what I said above: every CB takes a bad angle, allows a TD, gives up an easy completion, etc. at times. I've never seen one who didn't so while I see evidence of that stuff on film of Waynes, and I definitely think he has flaws in his game that need improving, I find his overall body of work quite good. Regarding whether or not he's "top-11 NFL draft good": you know me, where he's picked doesn't matter much to me. If he was projected as a third-rounder then it would bug me but I'm fine with where they drafted him. He certainly wasn't going to be available in another round.

I hope none of that sounds dismissive. I see an occasional lack of awareness in his game but I see the opposite more often. I like what Zimmer said:
“I felt like he could help us a whole lot in a lot of different ways. Everybody bases the Pro Bowl on how many interceptions you get and you may get six or eight interceptions a year, I look at penalties and how many times you deny your guy the football and you have the chance to do that 40 times a ball game, so I think that’s important for our corners here.”
I think that's a great way to look at it.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:Me too! In MPLS it was "Northern Lights" on Hennepin, "Electric Fetus" and later "Cheapo". Ah, the good old days, when you bought your music at a store and interacted with other humans in person about it! :rock:
It was nice.:) I could hang out in those places and look through the record bins for hidden gems for hours.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mothman wrote:I appreciate the effort you went to in that post. I saw the whole Baylor game and he did struggle in that one, although he was injured so that's a mitigating factor. I've seen the other videos you posted too and I can't argue that some of the plays you pointed to were bad plays. However, my take on that is that basically what I said above: every CB takes a bad angle, allows a TD, gives up an easy completion, etc. at times. I've never seen one who didn't so while I see evidence of that stuff on film of Waynes, and I definitely think he has flaws in his game that need improving, I find his overall body of work quite good. Regarding whether or not he's "top-11 NFL draft good": you know me, where he's picked doesn't matter much to me. If he was projected as a third-rounder then it would bug me but I'm fine with where they drafted him. He certainly wasn't going to be available in another round.

I hope none of that sounds dismissive. I see an occasional lack of awareness in his game but I see the opposite more often. I like what Zimmer said:
I think that's a great way to look at it.
I know it looked like nitpicking but I was trying to get a representative sample. Are these issues chronic? Can they be fixed? I have no idea. As long as he ends up denying a reception more often than allowing one, great. Then we can talk about to what degree. :) He has a lot what you look for in a quality corner, including a willingness to learn. We all know Zimmer is going to be hard on him (as he was Rhodes) and he seems open to that. I think he can improve. Hopefully he helps make the defense even more formidable in pass protection and rush support. I could care less if he gets 13 interceptions or one. As long as he's not allowing a lot of completions, I'll be happy. I'll be excited to see him in camp.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:I know it looked like nitpicking but I was trying to get a representative sample.

No worries. Your intent was clear and I know you aren't down on Waynes, just a little concerned about aspects of his game. I feel the same way about Kendricks. I love his motor and his production but it seems to me he can play a little over-aggressive or out of control at times and I'm not sure if his size will prove detrimental against a power running game. I hope not.
Are these issues chronic? Can they be fixed? I have no idea. As long as he ends up denying a reception more often than allowing one, great. Then we can talk about to what degree. :) He has a lot what you look for in a quality corner, including a willingness to learn. We all know Zimmer is going to be hard on him (as he was Rhodes) and he seems open to that. I think he can improve. Hopefully he helps make the defense even more formidable in pass protection and rush support. I could care less if he gets 13 interceptions or one. As long as he's not allowing a lot of completions, I'll be happy. I'll be excited to see him in camp.
Well said.

Heck, I don't even worry so much about completions. If he does a good job of preventing big plays and scoring plays, and if he's effective on third down, that's what matters most to me. I take that back: fitting well into a defense that accomplishes those goals is what matters most to me. :)
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Baylor did that to everyone this year! They routinely put up 40 to 70 points per game. I have to think part of the issue was scheme. I also think Bryce Petty was one heck of a QB--very accurate all over the field. I would've loved him in the 4th.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote: LOL! I didn't work in one of those shops but I sure frequented a lot of them! I felt like Cusack's character was visiting a bunch of my old hangouts when I watched that movie.
Record guy here too!
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins