2015 NFL Draft thread

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

2015 NFL Draft thread

Post by dead_poet »

We may move this over to Vikings Talk on Thursday but for now I'll keep it here.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: 2015 NFL Draft thread

Post by dead_poet »

@SportsCenter Browns offer two 1st-round picks to Titans for No. 2 overall selection, where they would plan to take Marcus Mariota. (via @PatMcManamon)
@ClaytonESPN Two first round picks from the Browns to the Titans is clearly not enough to spark a trade for Mariota. Browns would need another No. 1
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@ClaytonESPN The Titans said yesterday they had only 16 first-round grades. That means at No. 19 or No. 20, they would be taking a second-rounder.
@ClaytonESPN If most teams only have 16 first-round grades on players, this is going to be a wild draft. Sixteen is small number. Could mean more trades.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

dead_poet wrote:
What a bunch of clowns! :rofl:
Pseudo Everything
Transition Player

Post by Pseudo Everything »

Eagles are shopping ILB Mychal Kendricks, brother of Eric Kendricks. Asking price is reportedly a 2nd round pick. Mychal is bigger and faster than his little brother. Mychal ran a 4.47/40 at his combine; Eric ran a 4.61.

I know there are lots of fans here who like Eric Kendricks in the 2nd round (and maybe even trading down in the first to take him in the 1st).

If you like Eric Kendricks in the 2nd (if he's still on the board) ... wouldn't it be better to give a 2nd to Philly to get his bigger and fast brother?
dead_poet
Commissioner

2015 NFL Draft thread

Post by dead_poet »

Pseudo Everything wrote:Eagles are shopping ILB Mychal Kendricks, brother of Eric Kendricks. Asking price is reportedly a 2nd round pick. Mychal is bigger and faster than his little brother. Mychal ran a 4.47/40 at his combine; Eric ran a 4.61.

I know there are lots of fans here who like Eric Kendricks in the 2nd round (and maybe even trading down in the first to take him in the 1st).

If you like Eric Kendricks in the 2nd (if he's still on the board) ... wouldn't it be better to give a 2nd to Philly to get his bigger and fast brother?
Depending on his calf, maybe. But that would decrease ammo on draft day. I'd pull the trigger on a third or third and change, though. Rick loves his picks, though, so I'd be surprised if he pulled the trigger. Kendricks would need an extension, too. But coming off injury it could come at a discount.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

I like Mychal Kendricks a lot. He would be a great fit in our defense. He would definitely be a better option than any third round pick or lower.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@mikefreemanNFL One team executive tells me the Titans were asking for THREE No. 1s for second pick. He laughed. Belly laughed, actually.
petev_sj
Veteran

Post by petev_sj »

My 3 predictions for this draft:

1. WRs are totally dependent on the QBs to make them look good. I don't buy into the hype that 3 WR will be taken in the top 15. I also do not buy into the hype that Cooper, White and Parker are so much better then the rest of the WR field.

2. As I understand, many NFL scouts see Brandon Scherff as a Guard and not an NFL Tackle. I can see him falling out of the first round all together.

3. I see a team desperate for an elite corner trading into the top 10 to select Waynes out of fear the Vikings will grab him at 11.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

petev_sj wrote:My 3 predictions for this draft:

1. WRs are totally dependent on the QBs to make them look good. I don't buy into the hype that 3 WR will be taken in the top 15. I also do not buy into the hype that Cooper, White and Parker are so much better then the rest of the WR field.

2. As I understand, many NFL scouts see Brandon Scherff as a Guard and not an NFL Tackle. I can see him falling out of the first round all together.

3. I see a team desperate for an elite corner trading into the top 10 to select Waynes out of fear the Vikings will grab him at 11.
Even if Scherff is a guard in the NFL there is ZERO chance he falls out of round one. He was the Outland trophy winner this past season. Guards still in the first round.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Pseudo Everything
Transition Player

Post by Pseudo Everything »

How far can La'el Collins drop?
Peter Schrager @PSchrags · 9h 9 hours ago
3. Four different teams' execs told me that La'el Collins -- unfairly or not-- is 'undraftable' until he's fully exonerated from incident.
A few days ago he was a lock to go in the first round. Now you've got multiple teams saying he's completely off their board.

I don't think there's a lot of GMs that are willing to take the PR hit of drafting a guy involved in a murder investigation. (and of course the potential black eye if he ends up involved in any way). Even if Collins has an alibi ... that doesn't clear him (see Rae Carruth). Collins reportedly had agreed to submit to a paternity test next week but it's unclear if that was voluntary or under a court order.

There is no way teams will be able to get the information they need to clarify this situation before the end of the draft (Collins still hasn't talked with the BR police).
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Pseudo Everything wrote:How far can La'el Collins drop?
A few days ago he was a lock to go in the first round. Now you've got multiple teams saying he's completely off their board.

I don't think there's a lot of GMs that are willing to take the PR hit of drafting a guy involved in a murder investigation. (and of course the potential black eye if he ends up involved in any way). Even if Collins has an alibi ... that doesn't clear him (see Rae Carruth). Collins reportedly had agreed to submit to a paternity test next week but it's unclear if that was voluntary or under a court order.

There is no way teams will be able to get the information they need to clarify this situation before the end of the draft (Collins still hasn't talked with the BR police).
If he goes undrafted and is then cleared later how will that work, anybody know? Is he free to sign with any team at any salary?
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Cliff wrote: If he goes undrafted and is then cleared later how will that work, anybody know? Is he free to sign with any team at any salary?
According to Hasan, he's limited by the rookie wage scale. "essentially a team will have spent almost all of its rookie pool, so he'll get paid like a high-priced UDFA, which is low."

http://overthecap.com/draft/
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

dead_poet wrote:
According to Hasan, he's limited by the rookie wage scale. "essentially a team will have spent almost all of its rookie pool, so he'll get paid like a high-priced UDFA, which is low."

http://overthecap.com/draft/
Hmm ... could he sit out a season and reenter the draft? Or be treated like a FA next year instead of a rookie? Or does rookie just mean your first year in the league?

I don't know much about the guy, did he graduate or could he go back to school? Is that even possible after you enter the draft?
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Cliff wrote:Hmm ... could he sit out a season and reenter the draft? Or be treated like a FA next year instead of a rookie? Or does rookie just mean your first year in the league?
Good questions. I don't know. Depending on how this all shakes out he may need a year to get his life in order anyway (rumors are he's taking a paternity test to see if the child that survived is his). I think he can re-enter the draft. Isn't that what Bo Jackson essentially did after he was "drafted" by Tampa Bay? Of course there's a difference between getting drafted and not reporting and not getting drafted at all. It sounds like if he goes undrafted he will have the option where he wants to go as an UDFA but there will be limited funds available for a team to sign him based on the available rookie pool.
I don't know much about the guy, did he graduate or could he go back to school? Is that even possible after you enter the draft?
I don't know. I'm pretty sure he could go back to school if he wants if he didn't graduate. I'm not sure if he'd be eligible to play football if he already declared for the draft, though.