Internet 2015 mock drafts

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

S197
Fenrir

Re: Internet 2015 mock drafts

Post by S197 »

dead_poet wrote: I've been seeing a bit more of this lately. McShay, Mayock and Gruden are all lower on him than most. I don't know what number he's at now but a week ago he was ranked #16 on Kiper's board. He's probably a better fit for a 3-4. If available, do you make him gain 20 pounds or so as a LDE or play him at WILL?

---

Vic Beasley - DL - Tigers

Referring to Clemson edge rusher Vic Beasley's struggles with the run, ESPN NFL Insider Jon Gruden points out that "Jared Allen and DeMarcus Ware ... know you have to stop the run to set up situations to be able to rush the passer."

Beasley had 33 sacks with the Tigers, but Gruden mentions that he needs space to excel. Beasley can bench press with some of the top edge rushers in the class, but Gruden sees another issue when evaluating his run defense. "When I watch Beasley, I don't feel like he wants to get into the bottom of that pile," he said. "I want to see him retrace and be a part of the tackle, be a part of the pile. Opposing coaches will shift a tackle and a tight end into an unbalanced line and find Beasley if they think they can overpower him -- he won't just be allowed to play in space."
Source: ESPN Insider
I see him at Will. Since Zimmer loves the double A-gap move, he needs to LB's that can move in space since they often feign blitz but then roll out to cover the flats or the back. Also, since his line is first assigned to stop the run, I can see him utilizing two pass rushers at LB. The alternative is you let him bulk up and replace Robison over the next year or so. Just seems like a lot of options with him.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

S197 wrote: I see him at Will. Since Zimmer loves the double A-gap move, he needs to LB's that can move in space since they often feign blitz but then roll out to cover the flats or the back. Also, since his line is first assigned to stop the run, I can see him utilizing two pass rushers at LB. The alternative is you let him bulk up and replace Robison over the next year or so. Just seems like a lot of options with him.
That's my take as well, perhaps moving to LDE in certain situations. I like his alleged versatility and think Zimmer could have a lot of fun with him. I just hesitate a bit with the square peg in the round hole thing and don't want him miscast and end up trying to do or be something he's not (I don't think trying to make him into a traditional 260-270-pound LB would be wise). Of course, I have confidence in Zimmer if signs off on Beasley that he'll be able to use him in ways where he'll be effective. Rick mentioned there's a specific type of player they look for, so if Beasley checks the boxes I say go for it. A week ago it would've shocked me if he was available (it still would, quite frankly) but I'm starting to think there's more of a chance than before. There's always guys in the draft that drop lower than experts believe. Maybe Beasley will be that guy for whatever reason and the Vikings can reap the rewards.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

I get the impression from the media that it's almost a given the Bucs will select Winston. Am I alone in thinking that's a bad idea? I know they need a QB but Winston's not a player I'd want to make the centerpiece of my franchise and when you use the top pick in the draft on a QB, that's inevitably what you're doing.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mothman wrote:I get the impression from the media that it's almost a given the Bucs will select Winston. Am I alone in thinking that's a bad idea? I know they need a QB but Winston's not a player I'd want to make the centerpiece of my franchise and when you use the top pick in the draft on a QB, that's inevitably what you're doing.
I don't think you're alone but when you have an NFL franchise that essentially doesn't have "The Guy" there at QB with the #1 overall pick, unless there's a clear-cut generational player there of another position (with all due respect to Leonard Williams he's probably not J.J. Watt) tradition dictates you take the best QB as the fastest and surest way to turn your franchise around quickly and for the long-term (provided he's the right guy). I'm sure they're not happy a guy like Luck isn't there but Winston (in theory) has almost all the right tools to be successful and talent-wise is probably still a top-10 pick regardless of position. Otherwise you're doomed to another year of mediocrity (or worse). Who knows how many hundreds of thousands of dollars they've spent looking into his past, monitoring him, interviewing his family, friends, coaches, etc. I don't think they left any stone unturned. If they're convinced his issues are behind him, I don't think a case could be made to choose anyone else.

This did come to mind, though: http://www.theonion.com/articles/jameis ... the,38514/

I wonder if they're so desperate they just want to believe so much despite the warning signs, which is a dangerous position to be in.

It's hard for me to think that if we didn't have Teddy if we'd want to draft him ourselves if given the opportunity. I would think no but I honestly have no idea. The lure/promise of a franchise quarterback is a strong one.

I quietly don't want the Bucs to pick him, just to turn the draft into pure chaos.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:I don't think you're alone but when you have an NFL franchise that essentially doesn't have "The Guy" there at QB with the #1 overall pick, unless there's a clear-cut generational player there of another position (with all due respect to Leonard Williams he's probably not J.J. Watt) tradition dictates you take the best QB as the fastest and surest way to turn your franchise around quickly and for the long-term (provided he's the right guy).
Yes, but "the right guy" is the key. Following the dictates of a tradition and taking a QB with that pick just because they need one seems foolhardy because picking the wrong guy at that spot, and that position, is one of the best ways to insure that a franchise won't turn around quickly. Williams doesn't necessarily have to be Watt to be the more sensible pick.
I'm sure they're not happy a guy like Luck isn't there but Winston (in theory) has almost all the right tools to be successful and talent-wise is probably still a top-10 pick regardless of position.
I know that's the prevailing theory but I see a guy with the wrong tools: poor judgment that continually leads to problems off the field and a tendency to throw way too many interceptions.
Otherwise you're doomed to another year of mediocrity (or worse).
I think there's a good chance they're dooming themselves to that with Winston anyway.
I wonder if they're so desperate they just want to believe so much despite the warning signs, which is a dangerous position to be in.
I suspect that's exactly what's happening (assuming they really are going to draft him).
It's hard for me to think that if we didn't have Teddy if we'd want to draft him ourselves if given the opportunity. I would think no but I honestly have no idea. The lure/promise of a franchise quarterback is a strong one. I quietly don't want the Bucs to pick him, just to turn the draft into pure chaos.
Same here. In fact, I want them to draft Mariota, which would just turn everything on it's head!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mothman wrote:Yes, but "the right guy" is the key. Following the dictates of a tradition and taking a QB with that pick just because they need one seems foolhardy
Well, this is the Bucs we're talking about so... :)
because picking the wrong guy at that spot, and that position, is one of the best ways to insure that a franchise won't turn around quickly.
Agreed. We need only look at Ponder and Tarvaris Jackson as recent examples of that. But Winston's perceived high ceiling and high floor make him (from a talent perspective) a "safe" pick (provided they believe his off-field issues are behind him).
Williams doesn't necessarily have to be Watt to be the more sensible pick.
True. But again, when the talent is close and you need a QB, the "most important position in sports" usually wins out.
I know that's the prevailing theory but I see a guy with the wrong tools: poor judgment that continually leads to problems off the field and a tendency to throw way too many interceptions.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, eh? Just to keep perspective, Matt Ryan had 19 interceptions his senior year at Boston College. Winston only had 10 the year before (to go with 40 TDs). But I agree with you, his other poor judgement is just as (if not more) concerning. It's all a matter of what your investigation reveals about his character and whether or not you can trust him to be the face of your franchise. Needless to say the Bucs know a heck of a lot more than we do.
I think there's a good chance they're dooming themselves to that with Winston anyway.
Could be!
Same here. In fact, I want them to draft Mariota, which would just turn everything on it's head!
That'd be awesome. And I'd want a tight shot of Chip Kelly's face as Goodell reads the pick.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:That'd be awesome. And I'd want a tight shot of Chip Kelly's face as Goodell reads the pick.
:lol: Now that would be entertaining!

Good post. I didn't realize Ryan had so many INTs coming out of college.

Sorry to be so brief... I'm in a bit of a rush...
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Whoever plays for the Bucs will have a much better chance vs playing for the Titans or Browns, etc. Vincent Jackson and Mike Evans will help out a rookie a lot.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Silva's Day 2 mock: http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/5 ... mock-draft

I really must be missing something if all these mocks have us taking McKinney over Kendricks. R3: Arkansas DE Trey Flowers