Internet 2015 mock drafts

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

S197
Fenrir

Re: Internet 2015 mock drafts

Post by S197 »

I think two things that might really shake up this draft is if Mariota fall out of the top 10 or Gurley is picked top 10. Both seem unlikely but who saw Bridgewater falling to 32. Same with Floyd. The former would be bad for the Vikings, the latter good assuming they aren't targeting him.

Also, is this the first year where the top 2 QB's (and the potential #1 overall) won't be present?
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Josh Norris' latest mock (4/24): http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/5 ... mock-draft

He sticks with the overwhelming consensus at this point for us:
11. Minnesota Vikings - CB Trae Waynes, Michigan State -Everything points to the Vikings selecting a cornerback. So will it happen? I could see one of three names: Waynes, Byron Jones and Kevin Johnson. Waynes is a pure press corner who uses length and frame to stick with receivers and combat the catch point.
Has Cleveland trading up to #2 for Mariota and the Titans taking Gurley with Cleveland's first pick.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

NFL Mock Draft Live: Beat writers' picks

http://www.latimes.com/sports/nfl/la-sp ... story.html

Vikings on the clock.

Edit: Mark Craig selects....

Scherff.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Jeff Lloyd final mock (4/27): http://draftbreakdown.com/mockdrafts/je ... ock-draft/
11. Kevin Johnson - CB - Wake Forest
Shelton drops to second round
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Josh Norris' final top-200: http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/5 ... gs-top-200

Breaking a bit of conventional thought. Winston #1, Collins over Scherff, Gurley #3, Kendricks #7, Gregory #8, Anderson #10, DGB #14, Waynes #39 and so forth.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mayock's updated Top-100 (4/27): http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... -prospects

David Johnson ahead of Ajayi, Tevin & Yeldon. Donovan Smith ahead of Ogbuehi. He's still a Waynes fan with him at #7 overall. Randall over Collins. I'm seeing much more Malcom Brown love lately. Kendricks tumbles on his list (45).
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mayock's final positional rankings: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... ankings-50
Pseudo Everything
Transition Player

Post by Pseudo Everything »

dead_poet wrote:Mayock's updated Top-100 (4/27): http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... -prospects

David Johnson ahead of Ajayi, Tevin & Yeldon. Donovan Smith ahead of Ogbuehi. He's still a Waynes fan with him at #7 overall. Randall over Collins. I'm seeing much more Malcom Brown love lately. Kendricks tumbles on his list (45).
Duke (Miami) instead of David (Northern Iowa). Johnson that is.

So Mayock has Gregory at 17 and Ray at 18. I assume that factors in Ray's recent arrest for marijuana possession. Today's news about Dion Jordan being suspended for the entire 2015 season for substance abuse is probably going to make teams focus even more on the risk that these guys carry. Add Jalen Collins (CB LSU) to the list as he reportedly had 4 failed drugs tests in college. Begs the question ... how can a player fail 4 drug tests in college and never be suspended for a single game?

Hard to believe that Ray can't put the pipe down just three days before the draft. He must be a very regular user for that to happen given the amount of money that is on the line.

All three of these guys are going lower than than otherwise should. How low is anyone's guess. If they can stay clean someone is going to get tremendous value. Of course that's a big "if".
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pseudo Everything wrote: Begs the question ... how can a player fail 4 drug tests in college and never be suspended for a single game?
Go to LSU?
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Gabriel's final mock: http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/fin ... ock-draft/
11) Minnesota – Trae Waynes – DC – Michigan State – The NFC North is loaded with tall receivers and you need tall corners to match up. Waynes is the best corner in this draft and helps Minnesota upgrade their defense. If they don’t make this selection, they could very well choose a wide receiver.
Pseudo Everything
Transition Player

Post by Pseudo Everything »

I keep seeing Trae Waynes being referred to as a "tall" corner. His official combine height was listed as 6'0". A number of top corners are 5'11" (e.g. Revis, Hayden, etc) and they are definitely not considered as tall corners. Is 6 feet even (or one inch more than guys like Revis or Hayden) enough to be considered a tall corner?

It might be that Waynes looks taller than he is because he's fairly thin at 186 pounds.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Pseudo Everything wrote:I keep seeing Trae Waynes being referred to as a "tall" corner. His official combine height was listed as 6'0". A number of top corners are 5'11" (e.g. Revis, Hayden, etc) and they are definitely not considered as tall corners. Is 6 feet even (or one inch more than guys like Revis or Hayden) enough to be considered a tall corner?

It might be that Waynes looks taller than he is because he's fairly thin at 186 pounds.
I see that tossed around a lot, too. I also see in the same breath Kevin Johnson being "undersized" when they're really close physically. I don't know what the mean height is for an "outside" corner but I'd think 6'0 would be considered "good" or "enough height" to not be at much of a disadvantage.

I think it depends on how you view them. Waynes supporters usually say he has "good size" while others who aren't as supportive have called him "slight" or "undersized" to help make a case one way or the other. I don't think his height is an issue on the outside.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

dead_poet wrote:Mike Mayock's one and only mock: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/mock-draf ... ock/270801
Oooh passing on Beasley? Not sure I like that.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

S197 wrote: Oooh passing on Beasley? Not sure I like that.
I've been seeing a bit more of this lately. McShay, Mayock and Gruden are all lower on him than most. I don't know what number he's at now but a week ago he was ranked #16 on Kiper's board. He's probably a better fit for a 3-4. If available, do you make him gain 20 pounds or so as a LDE or play him at WILL?

---

Vic Beasley - DL - Tigers

Referring to Clemson edge rusher Vic Beasley's struggles with the run, ESPN NFL Insider Jon Gruden points out that "Jared Allen and DeMarcus Ware ... know you have to stop the run to set up situations to be able to rush the passer."

Beasley had 33 sacks with the Tigers, but Gruden mentions that he needs space to excel. Beasley can bench press with some of the top edge rushers in the class, but Gruden sees another issue when evaluating his run defense. "When I watch Beasley, I don't feel like he wants to get into the bottom of that pile," he said. "I want to see him retrace and be a part of the tackle, be a part of the pile. Opposing coaches will shift a tackle and a tight end into an unbalanced line and find Beasley if they think they can overpower him -- he won't just be allowed to play in space."
Source: ESPN Insider