Who do we draft?

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Who do we draft?

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:Worth a read.

There are only five can't-miss players in the 2015 NFL Draft
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jas ... -nfl-draft

So, which one of the 5 "can't miss" players will end up being a miss? ;)
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Combine star Byron Jones jumps high, far while staying grounded

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2 ... broad-jump
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote:
So, which one of the 5 "can't miss" players will end up being a miss? ;)
Shane Ray.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

I agree with many and do not want Trae Waynes as many posted before.
I would love a Vic Beasley, maybe not the ideal fit? But tremendous player.
He gives another pass rusher, but with the speed could be like Barr. He allow a ton of flexibility to jump into a 3-4 but makes a very creative, athletic, attacking defense.
In actuality, I hope we trade down and accumulate picks.
I love doing mock drafts with multiple 2nd rders. I think that there is a ton of value there this year.

Maybe an idea, trade AD to Oakland for their 2nd and their CB DJ Hayden.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote:So, which one of the 5 "can't miss" players will end up being a miss? ;)
Shane Ray.[/quote]

Wow, I must have been sleepy this morning. I completely overlooked his name on that list when i skimmed the article. Yes, I'd say he's the logical answer to the question at this point, although i was leaning toward White.

I just always find the idea of "can't miss" players in the draft amusing, since there's clearly no such thing.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

PFF/CFF comes out against Waynes in R1

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... waynes-cb/
The player most people seem to have at the top of their boards at the position is Michigan State’s Trae Waynes but, as you’ll know if you have seen our mock draft either here or on the PFF “Grading the Draft” show on NBC Sports, we wouldn’t draft him in the first round. That’s going to surprise a lot of people, especially given how fast he looks on the field, so let’s break down why he doesn’t crack the first round for us.
Summary: Fast straight-line speed, poor change-of-direction, poor defending intermediate routes, poor concentration, ball identification, play recognition, awareness. Maybe I just have Chris Cook flashbacks but I hope we pass.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:PFF/CFF comes out against Waynes in R1

Summary: Fast straight-line speed, poor change-of-direction, poor defending intermediate routes, poor concentration, ball identification, play recognition, awareness. Maybe I just have Chris Cook flashbacks but I hope we pass.
If PFF feels that strongly that he's not a first round talent, that bodes well for Waynes' future! :twisted:
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mothman wrote: If PFF feels that strongly that he's not a first round talent, that bodes well for Waynes' future! :twisted:
Ha! I figured you'd roll your eyes at that. But it's yet another opinion that Waynes may not be the far and away best corner in the draft.
cmoss84
Veteran

Post by cmoss84 »

If Ray and Gregory are there at 11 and you HAD TO pick one of them, who would it be? Flip a coin?
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@AdamSchefter Police are seeking to question LSU offensive lineman La'el Collins following the shooting death of a pregnant... http://fb.me/6CURsNgdD
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

cmoss84 wrote:If Ray and Gregory are there at 11 and you HAD TO pick one of them, who would it be? Flip a coin?
Gregory I guess.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:Ha! I figured you'd roll your eyes at that. But it's yet another opinion that Waynes may not be the far and away best corner in the draft.
In all seriousness, I don't think he is far and away the best corner in the draft but I do think he's a legitimate first round prospect and a good potential fit for the Vikes defense. I feel there's a bit of over-analysis going on with him as the draft draws near. There are shortcomings in his game but I don't think they undermine his strengths to the degree that he should fall all the way out of the first round.

I just can't resist making wisecracks about PFF. :)
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

dead_poet wrote:PFF/CFF comes out against Waynes in R1

It does have the familiar ring of a Chris Cook type player. Sadly, I think it sounds a bit like Josh Robinson too.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

dead_poet wrote:
That's incredibly sad to hear. Maybe it's just because my first child is on the way, but that really #### on my morning.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

DK Sweets wrote:That's incredibly sad to hear. Maybe it's just because my first child is on the way, but that really #### on my morning.
It sounds like Collins was nowhere near the incident and is not a suspect. But yeah, rough.

Oh, but congratulations!