Paul Dawson

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Paul Dawson

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote: Indeed. I'm in the "shy away" camp myself but if the Vikings draft him I'm all for being totally and completely wrong.
I'm with you. I'll keep an open mind if they draft him but to me, he seems like a poor fit for a Vikes defense that needs to improve against the run.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mothman wrote:he seems like a poor fit for a Vikes defense that needs to improve against the run.
Indeed, though I keep reading about his superhuman instincts. It obviously helps to be instinctual but his athletic issues are just going to be exacerbated in the pros. Though guys like Borland have shown you don't need to have outstanding athleticism to be impactful. But it does help.

I've recently watched a few Denzel Perryman games as well and have come back more than a little deflated. His game tape vs. Nebraska in particular looked like a guy that has no business being drafted before the fourth or fifth round. It was a dumpster fire. Though hopefully that was mainly due to not being comfortable vs. the read option, which he shouldn't need to defend as much.

I've become higher on Stephone Anthony, who I have ranked similar to Mckinney behind Kendricks.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Mothman wrote:
They make a pretty strong case.

It's interesting, I thought the argument, while thorough, was a bit misleading. He compares game tape of unequal situations to try to make various points. The problem is that he is comparing two different situations and his evidence is flimsy in my mind. But I admit to having a pro-Dawson bias, so there's that.

I look at it like you guys, ultimately: I trust that Zimmer knows how to evaluate talent better than I do, and since they've given him a close look I completely trust in the info that they've gathered and conclusions they've made about him.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:Indeed, though I keep reading about his superhuman instincts. It obviously helps to be instinctual but his athletic issues are just going to be exacerbated in the pros. Though guys like Borland have shown you don't need to have outstanding athleticism to be impactful. But it does help.
It helps but I agree that any athletic issues he has will likely be exposed in the pros.
Nevertheless, that's a bit scary.
I've become higher on Stephone Anthony, who I have ranked similar to Mckinney behind Kendricks.
I haven't seen Anthony play but I do like what I've been reading about him. I need to watch him a little...
Texas Vike wrote:It's interesting, I thought the argument, while thorough, was a bit misleading. He compares game tape of unequal situations to try to make various points. The problem is that he is comparing two different situations and his evidence is flimsy in my mind. But I admit to having a pro-Dawson bias, so there's that.

I look at it like you guys, ultimately: I trust that Zimmer knows how to evaluate talent better than I do, and since they've given him a close look I completely trust in the info that they've gathered and conclusions they've made about him.
Yes, Zimmer's obviously the best guy to determine who will fit into the defense he himself is building. If the Vikes draft Dawson, I have to believe it will be because Zimmer sees him as a good fit and has a role in mind for him.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mothman wrote:I haven't seen Anthony play but I do like what I've been reading about him. I need to watch him a little...
This is a good tape to start with: http://draftbreakdown.com/video/stephon ... -fsu-2014/

After watching that he just feels like a Zimmer guy. It's not a perfect tape as he's caught out of position a couple of times but I like the aggression, play recognition, athleticism and blitzing prowess. Shows some coverage chops, though not nearly as polished in that area as Kendricks.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

dead_poet wrote: This is a good tape to start with: http://draftbreakdown.com/video/stephon ... -fsu-2014/

After watching that he just feels like a Zimmer guy. It's not a perfect tape as he's caught out of position a couple of times but I like the aggression, play recognition, athleticism and blitzing prowess. Shows some coverage chops, though not nearly as polished in that area as Kendricks.
Of course, I'd be remiss if I didn't post a game he struggled with (the entire Clemson defense struggled in this one, though I'll give you one guess who they struggled most with). One reason why I wouldn't mind if he found his way in Purple.

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/stephon ... rgia-2014/
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

dead_poet wrote:I've become higher on Stephone Anthony, who I have ranked similar to Mckinney behind Kendricks.
I take it back, I prefer Anthony over Mckinney.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I wonder if Zimm sees a little bit of a Burfict type player in Dawson. Similar attitude, can't translate to the pro's knocks with a body of work that's tough to overlook. Certainly one of the more polarizing players in this year's draft.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote: Of course, I'd be remiss if I didn't post a game he struggled with (the entire Clemson defense struggled in this one, though I'll give you one guess who they struggled most with). One reason why I wouldn't mind if he found his way in Purple.

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/stephon ... rgia-2014/
Thanks for the links. I've watched the first one and Anthony was pretty impressive, especially blitzing. I haven't had a chance to watch the second one yet, although I can guess who struggled to stop. :)

Jim
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Cann in 2nd

Dawson in 3rd