Trading down vs. trading up

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Trading down vs. trading up

Post by dead_poet »

http://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/bl ... ncy-losing
The 3 most successful NFL teams over the last 3 seasons are the Seahawks, Patriots and Broncos. Each team has traded down at least twice as often as they traded up in the past 5 drafts.

Four of the 5 least successful NFL teams over the last 3 seasons are the Jaguars, Buccaneers, Titans and Browns. Combined, they traded up 28 times and down only 6 times over the last 5 drafts! That’s 6 trades up to 1 down on average, for 5 consecutive years.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Trading down vs. trading up

Post by Mothman »

Hmmm... I'm not sure how "sharp" that analysis is...
dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Trading down vs. trading up

Post by dead_poet »

Hmmm....
courtesy of ESPN Stats & Information:

Half of the quarterbacks taken in the second and third rounds between 2011 and 2014 are projected starters in 2015. It's a list that includes Seattle's Russell Wilson, San Francisco's Colin Kaepernick and the Rams' Nick Foles, among others.

Since 2011, quarterbacks taken in the second or third rounds have combined for a better record, total QBR and more than double the playoff wins than first rounders taken in that span.

Each of the past three Super Bowls has featured a starting quarterback taken in the second or third round.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/ ... d-the-rams
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly