Favre To have number 4 retired

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Favre To have number 4 retired

Post by IrishViking »

Traitor.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Re: Favre To have number 4 retired

Post by DK Sweets »

It's about time.

This makes me want to revisit the 2009 season, though. What a magical year.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

sweeping the Packers is always reason to love a season ...2009
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Ick.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Favorite Q of all-time. It begrudgingly happened when he was a Packer.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I think Warren Moon might have been my favorite

Dissed by the NFL... comes back and sets all kinds of records on some bad teams
good arm and skills, never complained ... and looked good in a Vikings Uniform SKOL

Steve Young was a very smart guy waited his time behind Montana and a better gifted QB
IMO(played against tougher teams DAL)

Farve
Was fearless which won him some huge games, could adapt any play into a completion
Had fun playing the game and was fun to watch.

The Packers deserve to retire his Jersey .. He made the Packers for a dozen years...
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

jackal wrote:I think Warren Moon might have been my favorite

Dissed by the NFL... comes back and sets all kinds of records on some bad teams
good arm and skills, never complained ... and looked good in a Vikings Uniform SKOL

Steve Young was a very smart guy waited his time behind Montana and a better gifted QB
IMO(played against tougher teams DAL)

Farve
Was fearless which won him some huge games, could adapt any play into a completion
Had fun playing the game and was fun to watch.

The Packers deserve to retire his Jersey .. He made the Packers for a dozen years...
Please, Favre was great no doubt about it, but those 90s Packers teams were stacked, once the 2000s rolled around Brett wasn't the same player either, and he really didn't do anything amazing after the turn of the millenium, not with the Packers anyway, that 09 season with the Vikes was a different story.

Regardless, he is probably the third greatest Packers QB of all time, so there is that. I still dont appreciate his obsession with sticking it to the same franchise and fan base that worshipped the ground he walked on for 15 years, supporting him through his rehabilitation and his wife's bout with breast cancer..

Yea, I think its safe to say he is an ####. And a whiny one at that. Doesn't change the fact that he was one of the greatest to ever play, but its hard for me to support retiring his jersey when he made it his loves mission to scorn the franchise simply because his massive ego demanded he be worshipped.

Oh but BTW, I completely agree on Warren Moon, that guy was an absolute beast. Top 5 QB of all time IMO.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Honestly, Jordysghost you sound like an scorned ex in your last post. To say that Favre did nothing amazing from 2000-2007 is a bit absurd, and putting him behind Starr is highly questionable. I get why you're upset, but I think your judgement is clouded on this one.

And for clarification, I generally really like most of your posts, so I'm not trying to criticize YOU at all. Just this one position that I think is fueled more by emotion than reality.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

DK Sweets wrote:Honestly, Jordysghost you sound like an scorned ex in your last post. To say that Favre did nothing amazing from 2000-2007 is a bit absurd, and putting him behind Starr is highly questionable. I get why you're upset, but I think your judgement is clouded on this one.

And for clarification, I generally really like most of your posts, so I'm not trying to criticize YOU at all. Just this one position that I think is fueled more by emotion than reality.

Haha you hit the nail on the head DK, I'm about as bitter of a fan as you could be in regards to Bert, or at least, I was when he was on the other sideline. :) I guess thats what happens when your childhood hero acts like a complete moron and demands the organization bow down to his every whim. His waffling nonsenses was nothing short of absurd, I still cant believe he did that.

But, the proof is in the statline, Favre was still a HOF QB, from 2000 to 2007, but the problem is he was looked at as "The Great Brett Favre" for his entire career, but the statline indicates, that simply was not the case.

With the exception of 2003, and 2009, Favre generally failed to replicate his spectacular production from the 90s. Hell, 2007 was at the time considered to be the best season Favre had in years, do you know what his statline was? 28-15 TD INT ratio with under 4000 yards, good? Yea, Great? Far from it.

Favre was one of the greatest to ever live, but his legend, is really incredibly overstated.. My lord.. Compare his statistical output to guys like Rodgers, Manning, Brady, Marino, Young, Unitas, and he doesn't hold out in anything save for longevity, which in my opinion, was by far his greatest trait. (There is no denying he is one tough SOB)

Favre was amazing but was he the best to ever live? No. Was he top 5? Probably not. I understand he was fun to watch but that can only mean so much.

I'm not so sure about your assessment of Starr however, he was incredibly efficient, incredibly clutch, and is the highest rated postseason QB in NFL history, had he not been on the same team as Jimmy Taylor and Paul Hornung he'd be looked at in a very similar light to Johnny Unitas. But, understand ive felt this way long before Brent crossed the border. :D

Even A-Rod for all his raw statistical output, will have a hard time topping the guy who drove down the field to win the Ice Bowl, from an iconic point of view anyways.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Jordysghost wrote:I'm not so sure about your assessment of Starr however, he was incredibly efficient, incredibly clutch, and is the highest rated postseason QB in NFL history, had he not been on the same team as Jimmy Taylor and Paul Hornung he'd be looked at in a very similar light to Johnny Unitas. But, understand ive felt this way long before Brent crossed the border. :D
He's a gentleman too. I met him once at a card show and he was very gracious, taking the time to look everyone in the eye, shake their hand, have his picture taken with them, etc.

I definitely consider him the best QB in Packers history. His postseason efficiency was amazing. the guy was a true leader at the position.

Now Rodgers? He's overrated! :twisted:
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Mothman wrote: He's a gentleman too. I met him once at a card show and he was very gracious, taking the time to look everyone in the eye, shake their hand, have his picture taken with them, etc.

I definitely consider him the best QB in Packers history. His postseason efficiency was amazing. the guy was a true leader at the position.

Now Rodgers? He's overrated! :twisted:
Interesting Mothman, thanks for sharing.

In regards to your Rodgers comment, you wish! :P :wink: :lol: :lol: 8)
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Jordysghost wrote:Interesting Mothman, thanks for sharing.

In regards to your Rodgers comment, you wish! :P :wink: :lol: :lol: 8)
It's true! I swear. If you look really, really, really closely, he can't get hit the broad side of a barn. It's all an illusion!
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Favre's jersey to be retired thanksgiving night against the Bears. Interesting.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

I can see Brent being the #3 all time for the Pack....but it' really nitpicking. I don't feel bad for anyone struggling to rank their HoF QBs :wink:

He totally deserves to have his number retired up there. I know he didn't do it alone but the Pack was fairly putrid for quite some time until he showed up. I would also argue that Rodgers has had better offenses around him for the most part and has the same amount of rings, but I do think Rodger is better in a vacuum.

How many team have had 3 Hall of Fame(caliber) QBs?
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

The Breeze wrote:How many team have had 3 Hall of Fame(caliber) QBs?
That's a great question. I know the 49ers do (Montana, Young, Tittle). The Steelers have Bradshaw, Len Dawson and Bobby Lane.

If you toss in Arnie Herber, the Packers have FOUR.

Of course, it also depends on how you classify some of them as not all played their entire careers for the same team.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly