Seahawks re-sign Russel Wilson

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Seahawks re-sign Russel Wilson

Post by dead_poet »

Probably just contract posturing but it's still interesting.

Would Seahawks let Russell Wilson walk? GM hints that it's possible

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-foo ... s-possible
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
jackal
Strong Safety

Re: Would Seahawks let Russell Wilson walk?

Post by jackal »

I doubt it ...

They will have to drain a lot of their cap to keep him.. I'm sure he is 17 million a year min .. 5 year deal with huge bonus
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

I do believe they'll let him walk if he demands too much, yes.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

I can't imagine them letting him walk, but maybe they're convinced he's a product of how good the rest of the team is. It's interesting at the very least.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

This is an interesting scenario because I think letting him walk or signing him to a mega contract are both arguably the right decision.

On one hand, you have his upcoming contract dude is going to get PAYED, problem is, he is going to be paid as a top 3 QB when in reality he is a game manager (Albeit the best game manager in the league, probably.)

When Russel Wilson is payed as a top QB, you can say goodbye to that absolutely fantastic roster over in Seattle, they would need Wilson to continue to develop and improve and eventually be the top 3 QB that his contract pays him as, if they would want to continue to be the one of the NFLs best teams.

If they don't think that Wilson is going to eventually be deserving of the money he will command, then they should let him walk, IMO. I know letting your franchise QB is risky business, but I don't think Wilson is a guy that is going to carry his team on his back to the SB, and after his upcoming contract he is going to have to.
Last edited by Jordysghost on Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Didn't we already go through this with Lynch? :wallbang:
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

No way.

My first impression of the article is that it's craftily written. I speed read most of it, but it just sounds like snippets of quotes that are pieced together to look like it's a possibility, which, I suppose it's possible, as anything is. I just don't know buy it.

I think the talks are ongoing though. Seattle's FO is really good with handling contracts -- even though a lot of it has to do with hitting on a lot of their later round draft picks and undrafted rookie signings -- and there are a few rumors out there too that say this upcoming contract for Russell is "the most unique" there is. Probably takes more time to iron out? No way they let him walk though. You don't play with potential alternatives when you can with the guy you got that's won like Russell and carries himself and leads the way RW does.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@SI_PeterKing Russell Wilson and the Seahawks have agreed to a 4-year, $87.6-million extension, per source. The new Wilson deal includes a $31-million signing bonus, with approximately $60-million guaranteed. The deal averages $21.9-miilion a year, a smidge less than top deal in football, Aaron Rodgers’ $22-million per.
@SharpFootball Russell Wilson is now the second-highest paid QB per yr (avg) in te NFL at $21.9M ($87.6M over 4 yrs) via @SI_PeterKing
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I respected Wilson for how long he waited to get paid.. Just did his job for peanuts
and earned his money.. The rest of his teammates not so much ..
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

jackal wrote:I respected Wilson for how long he waited to get paid.. Just did his job for peanuts
and earned his money.. The rest of his teammates not so much ..
Smart to have it only a four-year contract. Can get another big payday at age 31, still in his prime. He's going to make a lot of money in his career.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

dead_poet wrote: Smart to have it only a four-year contract. Can get another big payday at age 31, still in his prime. He's going to make a lot of money in his career.
The Seahwaks could have also franchised him, couldn't they? Would that have cost them more? I suppose it could have also damaged the relationship between him and the front office.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Cliff wrote: The Seahwaks could have also franchised him, couldn't they? Would that have cost them more? I suppose it could have also damaged the relationship between him and the front office.
They could've franchised him but I think they wanted to get this deal done so they could have the tag available for Wagner, if needed. The tag for QBs would be between $20 and $25 million for 2016. If they did it again it'd be 20-percent raise for 2017 and a 44-percent raise for 2018. I don't think a lot of franchises like their QBs playing on franchise tags (nor do players like to be on it, either).
jackal
Strong Safety

Re: Seahawks re-sign Russel Wilson

Post by jackal »

Seattle is now facing trying to keep 43 quality guys on 50 million a year.

They are paying 100 plus to 8-10 guys ... So basically every player on the team that hasn't gotten
paid is not going to get paid. They have to hit with every draft pick and get 25-30 guys to play for
peanuts. Based on the players off season reactions a lot of guys want money, there not going to get.

personally i think the Seahawks players are more about ego and money than being part of a team.

I'm not saying they shouldn't get paid;however, guys that got paid two years ago and wan't to restructure

or get new contracts every time another player set the bar higher. The NFL does not work that way.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Night night 'Hawks, hope you enjoyed your 15 minutes.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Can't help but wonder what it would take to pry Chancellor loose. Zimmer would be able to put his talents to good use on his Defense.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins