Adrian Peterson Reinstated

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

NDVikeFan
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Adrian Peterson Reinstated

Post by NDVikeFan »

I hope hey trade him and get something decent in return.

I have absolutely no faith in Adrian being able to keep his nose out of trouble. IMO it Wont be long and he will do something dumb and get suspended again. Might be something small like going 115 mph in a 65 mph zone, but Goodell is just waiting to drop the hammer down on him.

I mean the guy smoked weed, when he had to appear in court and got drug tested. Let him go and be someone else's problem. Just imo.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

NDVikeFan wrote:I hope hey trade him and get something decent in return.

I have absolutely no faith in Adrian being able to keep his nose out of trouble. IMO it Wont be long and he will do something dumb and get suspended again. Might be something small like going 115 mph in a 65 mph zone, but Goodell is just waiting to drop the hammer down on him.

I mean the guy smoked weed, when he had to appear in court and got drug tested. Let him go and be someone else's problem. Just imo.
I have similar views regarding this as well. I just think this is the perfect year to let him go. His value is the highest it will ever be again and you can't ask for a better RB draft class this year.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

Let him go. We aren't winning the Super Bowl in the next two years anyway.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Let him go. We aren't winning the Super Bowl in the next two years anyway.

I think we have a low chance or better than a lot of teams... Look at what we did to the rams in their house with Peterson

Our OL is the only real big concern I do have... Our defense will be better again more talent and two years to learn Zim's
system. Our wide outs will be better with Wallace and Johnson( and if Patterson put in the work???) Three tall guys who can
play ?? Not to mention(who I really dislike personally, very very much)A.P. is still a HOF talent. Teddy should be better especially
with more talent.. Hopefully Rudolf stays healthy and we are stacked with weapons.. Not to mention McKinnon who can cause
real problems too...
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

720pete wrote:Let him go. We aren't winning the Super Bowl in the next two years anyway.

I've never understood this kind of thinking. Any team can win it, any given year, we have seen this time and time again. Noone thought the Giants and Ravens would do what they did, but it happened.

Just so you have a some outside perspective, if you guys keep Peterson, or draft Melvin Gordon, I think you guys definitely have the firepower to be a SB contender in the immediate future.

I'd understand what you are saying more if your team was in some type of cap hell, or had a rather untalented squad, but I don't find either to be the case in the situation. Idk, just my opinion.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Jordysghost wrote: I've never understood this kind of thinking. Any team can win it, any given year, we have seen this time and time again. Noone thought the Giants and Ravens would do what they did, but it happened.

Just so you have a some outside perspective, if you guys keep Peterson, or draft Melvin Gordon, I think you guys definitely have the firepower to be a SB contender in the immediate future.

I'd understand what you are saying more if your team was in some type of cap hell, or had a rather untalented squad, but I don't find either to be the case in the situation. Idk, just my opinion.
Is that a general consensus among Packer fans? I am just curious what they think of this... do they want Peterson to be dealt?

edit: And for the record, I Agree with you about the "any team can win it". If the Vikings can figure out how to close games, they could be scary.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

The more I think about it, the more I think something needs to get done before the draft. If he doesn't get traded on or before draft day, this could get ugly and I think the compensation the Vikings could be offered will be deflated due to teams that are interested in Peterson taking one of the slew of talented rookie runners.

I think the most likely candidates in terms of draft pick compensation is going to be Dallas or Arizona. I don't buy Jacksonville. They need to re-stock the shelves and are a lot further than Peterson to being seriously competitive. I would think they would consider their draft picks more valuable and unlikely to go higher than the other candidates. Where it really gets interesting for me is Dallas and Arizona. Both have Super Bowl contenting rosters missing a real running back threat that can bring something to the roster that no other player can. You also wonder how long each of those teams perceive their "window" to be. Both starting QBs are up there in age (Romo is 34 with chronic back problems and Palmer is 35 and coming off his second ACL tear). From the outside, you may think they might have a 2-4-year window. Peterson would make their path to the Super Bowl a lot easier in that time. You could say that they could take one of the draft's top running backs but A) Gurley will probably be gone by the time either pick and may take until next season to be fully healthy so you may be giving away one of your precious years' windows even if you land him and B) it's not often even healthy running backs are quite productive their rookie seasons, so you're faced with potentially not great production even if you do draft guys like Gordon or Coleman, etc. From that perspective, Peterson keeps looking better and better. If Dallas low-balled DeMarco because they think his production was inflated by their dominant offensive line, I can see them hesitant to be the highest bidder, making Arizona the most likely, in my opinion, to offer the highest compensation. The only thing I wonder about is Crazy Jerry. He has a history of being bold (though not in the last year or two), so I can see him giving up their first overall.

Oakland is one team that I don't think would be in the mix, but they're a wild card for me. They flirted with DeMarco Murray pretty hard (reportedly offered more than Philly) so they're clearly seeking some help (Richardson & Helu aren't going to scare anyone), which is a little surprising given they have a potential lead-dog in Latavius Murray. The presence of L. Murray just makes me think they wouldn't give up more than a third-rounder (maybe a second), but this is Oakland, so who knows. Their 2014 free agent draft class might go down as one of the worst in NFL history and, unless he learned a lesson, Reggie McKenzie loves signing older "name" players. Peterson would fit that bill and take a heaping amount of pressure off Carr.

If I'm Rick, I still don't take less than a high second-rounder or a lower second PLUS additional compensation. That's my minimum and I still think a low first-rounder is not out of the question. There were some guys talking on NFL Radio this morning that thought Peterson may dig in and doesn't need the money (he's made so much already without even counting endorsements) and it's more about forcing his way out. But I still think when push comes to shove even if Peterson is one of the more hard-headed guys out there he has to be itching to get back on the field. It's hard to cement yourself in Canton when you're at home (even though he's probably done enough to this point to make it in). Does he want this to be how he wants to be remembered and how his career ends? In my mind there's no way. He knows the clock is ticking and the Vikings hold all the cards. I'd hope when the season comes along he can swallow whatever malcontent he has for the brass and suit up to make his millions to be alongside a roster of players and coaches that fully support him. If it's truly about the front office, how much contact does he really have to have with them? Once the season gets going, I would hope that wouldn't be on his radar and the team and games are the only thing on his mind.

It should be an interesting couple of weeks. I'd love to be Rick's assistant right now and know just how he's playing this with other teams.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:The more I think about it, the more I think something needs to get done before the draft. If he doesn't get traded on or before draft day, this could get ugly and I think the compensation the Vikings could be offered will be deflated due to teams that are interested in Peterson taking one of the slew of talented rookie runners.

I think the most likely candidates in terms of draft pick compensation is going to be Dallas or Arizona. I don't buy Jacksonville. They need to re-stock the shelves and are a lot further than Peterson to being seriously competitive. I would think they would consider their draft picks more valuable and unlikely to go higher than the other candidates. Where it really gets interesting for me is Dallas and Arizona. Both have Super Bowl contenting rosters missing a real running back threat that can bring something to the roster that no other player can. You also wonder how long each of those teams perceive their "window" to be. Both starting QBs are up there in age (Romo is 34 with chronic back problems and Palmer is 35 and coming off his second ACL tear). From the outside, you may think they might have a 2-4-year window. Peterson would make their path to the Super Bowl a lot easier in that time. You could say that they could take one of the draft's top running backs but A) Gurley will probably be gone by the time either pick and may take until next season to be fully healthy so you may be giving away one of your precious years' windows even if you land him and B) it's not often even healthy running backs are quite productive their rookie seasons, so you're faced with potentially not great production even if you do draft guys like Gordon or Coleman, etc. From that perspective, Peterson keeps looking better and better. If Dallas low-balled DeMarco because they think his production was inflated by their dominant offensive line, I can see them hesitant to be the highest bidder, making Arizona the most likely, in my opinion, to offer the highest compensation. The only thing I wonder about is Crazy Jerry. He has a history of being bold (though not in the last year or two), so I can see him giving up their first overall.

Oakland is one team that I don't think would be in the mix, but they're a wild card for me. They flirted with DeMarco Murray pretty hard (reportedly offered more than Philly) so they're clearly seeking some help (Richardson & Helu aren't going to scare anyone), which is a little surprising given they have a potential lead-dog in Latavius Murray. The presence of L. Murray just makes me think they wouldn't give up more than a third-rounder (maybe a second), but this is Oakland, so who knows. Their 2014 free agent draft class might go down as one of the worst in NFL history and, unless he learned a lesson, Reggie McKenzie loves signing older "name" players. Peterson would fit that bill and take a heaping amount of pressure off Carr.

If I'm Rick, I still don't take less than a high second-rounder or a lower second PLUS additional compensation. That's my minimum and I still think a low first-rounder is not out of the question. There were some guys talking on NFL Radio this morning that thought Peterson may dig in and doesn't need the money (he's made so much already without even counting endorsements) and it's more about forcing his way out. But I still think when push comes to shove even if Peterson is one of the more hard-headed guys out there he has to be itching to get back on the field. It's hard to cement yourself in Canton when you're at home (even though he's probably done enough to this point to make it in). Does he want this to be how he wants to be remembered and how his career ends? In my mind there's no way. He knows the clock is ticking and the Vikings hold all the cards. I'd hope when the season comes along he can swallow whatever malcontent he has for the brass and suit up to make his millions to be alongside a roster of players and coaches that fully support him. If it's truly about the front office, how much contact does he really have to have with them? Once the season gets going, I would hope that wouldn't be on his radar and the team and games are the only thing on his mind.

It should be an interesting couple of weeks. I'd love to be Rick's assistant right now and know just how he's playing this with other teams.
I would too. Good post. It was certainly better than the discussion about peterson i just heard on ESPN Radio, which was about as dumb as it gets.

Anyway, regarding price: if I were in Rick's shoes, I'd tell any team that asked that the price in trade is plural, that Peterson is not for trade for one pick. It would take a pick and a player, multiple picks or a pick and multiple players. I'd want a first or second round pick and then some. If teams aren't willing to pay that, it would simply be a non-starter.

If the Vikings are serious about not wanting to trade Peterson then I imagine they're already braced for this to get ugly. Making noise publicly and threatening a holdout will be almost the only weapons Dogra has so he'll use them. However, all the Vikes really have to do is stand their ground and then peterson will have to choose if he wants to actually hold out and miss more playing time or play for the team. The distractions for Zimmer and the team would be immense though.

I just wish we knew more about the core issues here.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

NDVikeFan wrote:I hope hey trade him and get something decent in return.

I mean the guy smoked weed, when he had to appear in court and got drug tested.
There was never any evidence to support that beyond some hearsay that still strikes me as pretty tough to believe.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mothman wrote:Anyway, regarding price: if I were in Rick's shoes, I'd tell any team that asked that the price in trade is plural, that Peterson is not for trade for one pick. It would take a pick and a player, multiple picks or a pick and multiple players. I'd want a first or second round pick and then some. If teams aren't willing to pay that, it would simply be a non-starter.
I like that stance. I also wonder if draft-day won't cause a team like Dallas or Arizona to up their offer (presuming they've made one). There's a lot of picks in front of them. I can very much see a case where both teams feel like they need to take a RB in round 1 because there could be a RB run in round 2 and there's a good chance that comes with Gurley and Gordon already off the board. Would Dallas and Arizona bet that they could land Coleman, Ajayi, Abdullah, Yeldon at 55 & 60? That'd be a gamble. And if you want to trade up in the second round and are willing to give up decent picks to do it, couldn't a case be made that you should give up a bit more in draft picks to secure the best running back in the league (Peterson) vs. potentially a very good runner in a couple of years?
The distractions for Zimmer and the team would be immense though.
Would they be any worse than last season? Zimmer seemed to handle that as well as could be expected. And I'm sure the company line at press conferences would be something to the effect of "We look forward to AD back on the field for us" if Peterson does decide to hold out. I'd Marshawn Lynch the hell out of that with every question directed at the Peterson situation. That and "Nothing has changed" or "We haven't heard from Adrian." Eventually it'll die down until AD reports. I don't think Zimmer would allow AD's holdout to affect his players' focus. They already dealt with it for essentially the whole season last year. What's interesting to me (and this is getting WAY out in front of things) is if the Vikings are in the playoff picture come week 12-14 with AD holding out, would he even allow Peterson to play at that point if he wanted to after essentially ditching the team?
I just wish we knew more about the core issues here.
Indeed.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:I like that stance. I also wonder if draft-day won't cause a team like Dallas or Arizona to up their offer (presuming they've made one). There's a lot of picks in front of them. I can very much see a case where both teams feel like they need to take a RB in round 1 because there could be a RB run in round 2 and there's a good chance that comes with Gurley and Gordon already off the board. Would Dallas and Arizona bet that they could land Coleman, Ajayi, Abdullah, Yeldon at 55 & 60? That'd be a gamble. And if you want to trade up in the second round and are willing to give up decent picks to do it, couldn't a case be made that you should give up a bit more in draft picks to secure the best running back in the league (Peterson) vs. potentially a very good runner in a couple of years?
Yes and as you already pointed out, their window is open and their QBs aren't getting any younger. I can definitely imagine one or both of those teams feeling enough of a sense of urgency that they would raise an offer on draft day. If the Vikes are willing to trade then it would be ideal if Arizona and Dallas were in competition to make a trade, since that could drive offers up as well.
Would they be any worse than last season?
I think so because last season, there were stretches where things were as resolved as they could be, periods of time in which no developments were really possible. With a holdout, the pressure from the media would be constant, daily, and unrelenting.
Zimmer seemed to handle that as well as could be expected. And I'm sure the company line at press conferences would be something to the effect of "We look forward to AD back on the field for us" if Peterson does decide to hold out.
I'm sure it would but eventually, I imagine the constant distraction and the endless stream of questions would really wear on coaches and players alike.
I'd Marshawn Lynch the hell out of that with every question directed at the Peterson situation.
:lol: I love that you used Lynch's name as a verb.
That and "Nothing has changed" or "We haven't heard from Adrian." Eventually it'll die down until AD reports.
That's the part I'm not so sure about... I don't know that it would die down, especially if the team looked like they could use the help.

We'll see what happens. Training camp is a long way off and the regular season even further.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Is that a general consensus among Packer fans? I am just curious what they think of this... do they want Peterson to be dealt?

edit: And for the record, I Agree with you about the "any team can win it". If the Vikings can figure out how to close games, they could be scary.
I think it would be accurate to say that most Packers fans realize the Vikings have a young talented squad and when you consider that AP runs all over us on a consistent basis, id say yea, only a fool would write off a Bridgewater/AP spearheaded squad.

And yea, I think most Packers fans are really tired of AP, and would love for him to be dealt far from this division, far from Lambeau field, I know I do. Peterson is the best RB I've had the pleasure of watching but my lord am I sick of him.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mothman wrote:I'm sure it would but eventually, I imagine the constant distraction and the endless stream of questions would really wear on coaches and players alike.
I guess I would see it more as an annoyance than affecting an individual's on-field performance.
That's the part I'm not so sure about... I don't know that it would die down, especially if the team looked like they could use the help.
I suppose that would be the key, wouldn't it; how well their running game is performing in his absence. If last season is any barometer, I'd say that it performed reasonably well. But what team couldn't use his help? At that point it'd be all in Peterson's hands.
We'll see what happens. Training camp is a long way off and the regular season even further.
Well that's a depressing thought.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Adrian Peterson - RB - Vikings

An NFL general manager told Bleacher Report's Mike Freeman that he believes the Raiders are "right there" in the mix to trade for Adrian Peterson.

ESPN Raiders reporter Bill Williamson adds that he "keeps hearing" Oakland connected to Peterson. GM Reggie McKenzie has been trying to add star power to his roster and Peterson would certainly fit the bill. And the Raiders are one team with the cap space to take on A.D.'s $12.75 million cap hit. It's definitely concerning for Latavius Murray owners that McKenzie has seemed hellbent on adding talent to his backfield, first flirting with DeMarco Murray and now Peterson.
Source: Bleacher Report
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2422 ... l-defenses
dkoby
All Pro Elite Player

Post by dkoby »

dead_poet wrote:Adrian Peterson - RB - Vikings

An NFL general manager told Bleacher Report's Mike Freeman that he believes the Raiders are "right there" in the mix to trade for Adrian Peterson.

ESPN Raiders reporter Bill Williamson adds that he "keeps hearing" Oakland connected to Peterson. GM Reggie McKenzie has been trying to add star power to his roster and Peterson would certainly fit the bill. And the Raiders are one team with the cap space to take on A.D.'s $12.75 million cap hit. It's definitely concerning for Latavius Murray owners that McKenzie has seemed hellbent on adding talent to his backfield, first flirting with DeMarco Murray and now Peterson.
Source: Bleacher Report
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2422 ... l-defenses
I couldn't see them giving us their 1st round pick for him, but I could see their 2nd 4th and maybe even 5th round. All of their picks are either 3rd or 4th in each round. Could be a great deal for us if he becomes a disturbance, but I just don't see that happening. I think the Vikings are playing this perfectly by staying with the company line and stating that they expect him to show up and work.
The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds,the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps.
Elenore Roosevelt. 1945