Going back to School

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Going back to School

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Well, I am officially going back to school at 36 years old. I will be attending Herzing University for a degree in Business Management starting next Monday.
I am very nervous as it has been 18 years since I was in any kind of class (high school) and the thought of being forced to learn things has never really appealed to me (see my report cards in high school).

Wish me luck, hopefully three years from now I will be able to say that I have a degree. :shock: :stab:
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
S197
Fenrir

Re: Going back to School

Post by S197 »

You know you don't have to pay all that money just to hit on 18 year old college chicks right? 8)

Congrats man, it's never too late to go back.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Lol, i didn't even think about that part!!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Hopefully you won't take any tranquilizer darts in the neck at parties.
-
There's lots to suggest that people do far better with college after having had some actual real world experience under their belt. I think it's cool....hopefully it won't cost you an arm and a leg.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Congratulations!

As far as the cost; I racked up about $75k earning my degrees but it was worth it for me. I had been in the field for 10 years before I finished mine and due to already having experience, I was immediately able to better my career standing. Obviously everybody should do research to see if a degree in a given field is a good choice, but I think you'll be happy you did it.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

That's great ... it never hurts to have more options and education is something that they can never take away from you....
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Well, I am officially going back to school at 36 years old. I will be attending Herzing University for a degree in Business Management starting next Monday.
I am very nervous as it has been 18 years since I was in any kind of class (high school) and the thought of being forced to learn things has never really appealed to me (see my report cards in high school).

Wish me luck, hopefully three years from now I will be able to say that I have a degree. :shock: :stab:
Good luck! Stay focused and you'll do well. Remember, you aren't being forced to learn, you're choosing to learn. :)
Ohjay
Veteran

Post by Ohjay »

Congrats and good luck!

Hopefully I'll be in the same situation as you in 4 months time as I'll be applying to universities next week(if I can just decide on which computer science education I want).
Things won't be easy though since I also plan to work full time while studying, so I'm a bit envious of you :)
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Hopefully I'll be in the same situation as you in 4 months time as I'll be applying to universities next week(if I can just decide on which computer science education I want).
Things won't be easy though since I also plan to work full time while studying, so I'm a bit envious of you :)
I would do two things in trying to choose which program

1. Determine which variation has the most demand.

2. Speak to people in the field and get their advice on the matter(hopefully someone you trust)
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Well, I missed one on the final exam :( , so I ended up with a final score of 99.5%. Not bad for going 18 years between classes. :)
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Well, I missed one on the final exam :( , so I ended up with a final score of 99.5%. Not bad for going 18 years between classes. :)
great job, a lot of returning students do very well and enjoy school much more. I hope this really helps you out man.