Sub 4.0 time in 40 yard dash

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

jackal
Strong Safety

Sub 4.0 time in 40 yard dash

Post by jackal »

Every year we see more and more guys with 4.3 speed or better. No we we are seeing multiple guys under 4.3 speed.

How long until someone runs a 3.98 ? I know its a big jump; however people used to think a four minute mile was
not going to happen, ever.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: Sub 4.0 time in 40 yard dash

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Well players are certainly getting faster. I Don'tknow that it will happen in the next 5-10 years, but it certainly could happen someday.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Yeah I am thinking 15 to 20 years ....that is a lot to shave
off... .25 seconds
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

are players really getting that much faster? I mean, Deion Sanders was rumored to run a 40 time of sub-4.2 back in the 89'.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

There comes a point where human capabilities are capped. I mean, a 3.98? Damn near impossible physically. Right?

Saint33: I agree. Dont forget Bo Jackson and his reported 4.12 in 1986.

I dont think players are necessarily getting that much faster. The 40 has only relatively recently become more accurate due to electronic timing. Even with Bo's time, who really knows how accurate that was as it came from a hand timer. Hard for me to see someone ever running sub 4 seconds.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

There comes a point where human capabilities are capped. I mean, a 3.98? Damn near impossible physically. Right?

Saint33: I agree. Dont forget Bo Jackson and his reported 4.12 in 1986.

I dont think players are necessarily getting that much faster. The 40 has only relatively recently become more accurate due to electronic timing. Even with Bo's time, who really knows how accurate that was as it came from a hand timer. Hard for me to see someone ever running sub 4 seconds.
Trust me players are getting faster, especially the larger players... people used to think a four minute mile was impossible..

It will happen ...just a matter of time
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

jackal wrote:
Trust me players are getting faster, especially the larger players... people used to think a four minute mile was impossible..

It will happen ...just a matter of time
These guys just gave concrete examples and you countered with "trust me". I'm not saying you're wrong, but can you give some kind of basis for your statement?
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Interesting topic.

It doesn't seem the fastest time is much, if at all, faster than it was 20yrs ago....but more players are definitely running it faster in general.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

These guys just gave concrete examples and you countered with "trust me". I'm not saying you're wrong, but can you give some kind of basis for your statement?
The four minute mile was thought impossible now we have several people almost twenty seconds under that. Until the 70's most NFL teams had no organized strength training

with all Millions of dollars, sports technology, genetics, and sports performance training today.. you can't honestly tell me you don't think in two decades or less it will happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji0yK7fV5Rk

Sports is often mental as well as physical.. Someone will land a faster time over and over again and eventually you will see a sub 4.0 forty...

Bo Jacksons time was not done with computerized time, a stop watch.. He was fast, very very fast( I Doubt the stated time)
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

I don't think the 40 yard dash and a mile are quite the same. I just don't see significant drops in the lowest numbers in the 40 for me to say that I expect it to happen in the next 20 years, but I'm not sure exactly what the numbers are, either. I wasn't aware of how low the Jackson and Sanders times were, though, and those would still be amazing numbers today.