Who do we draft?

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

Cliff
Site Admin

Re: Who do we draft?

Post by Cliff »

Pseudo Everything wrote:From Peter King: I'd love to move down in this draft.

The wild card is Marcus Mariota. I'm seeing a wide disparity in where he lands from guys who I view as credible mockers; several have him out of the top 10. On the other hand he seems like a reasonable pick for the Titans at #2, Jets at #6, and Rams at #10 (assuming the Bucs take Winston #1). Even the Bears at #7 would be an outside possibility.

If Mariota somehow falls out of the top 10 and is on the board at #11 what are the chances we get a decent trade offer from someone wanting to move up and take him? Possible candidates: Browns at #12, Texans at #16, Chargers at #17 and Eagles at #20.
I think the Browns are probably the most likely in that scenario. I don't think the rest would be willing to pay what it takes to move up that many spots in the 1st, especially the Eagles.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

I'd be happy with Scherff, Beasley, Waynes, Shelton or Cooper. Most mocks have more than one of them available at 11.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Cliff wrote:I think the Browns are probably the most likely in that scenario. I don't think the rest would be willing to pay what it takes to move up that many spots in the 1st, especially the Eagles.
I'm confused; why would the Browns want to move to #11 if Mariota is there, knowing the Vikings would likely not take him? I know Chip has said you don't mortgage the future for one player, BUT moving from 20 to 11 is more cost-effective than from 20 to 2 (or 5). I would absolutely love to trade a healthy amount of picks with Chip. I think that'd be the best-case scenario. If that were to happen, I'm sure Rick and his penchant for draft picks would be downright giddy. I have to admit, I'm almost more excited to watch Philly's draft than our own. Wacky Chip could do all sorts of wheelin' & dealin'.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

fiestavike wrote:I'd be happy with Scherff, Beasley, Waynes, Shelton or Cooper. Most mocks have more than one of them available at 11.
I'm on board with any of these. I think they're all pretty "safe" picks, too. Waynes and Beasley carry a bit more risk in my eyes, but not significantly.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Cliff wrote:I think the Browns are probably the most likely in that scenario. I don't think the rest would be willing to pay what it takes to move up that many spots in the 1st, especially the Eagles.
Food for thought:

Mychal Kendricks - LB - Eagles

The Eagles have not approached ILB Mychal Kendricks about an extension as he enters the final year of his rookie contract.

Kendricks is just 24 years old, has difference-making sideline-to-sideline ability and can really cover from the inside linebacker spot. But the Eagles didn't like the way he rehabbed off a calf injury in 2014, and have since traded for Kiko Alonso and extended DeMeco Ryans. Now there's speculation Kendricks could be part of a draft day trade, something we can't rule out with hyper-aggressive Chip Kelly at the controls.
Source: Philadelphia Inquirer & Daily News
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

dead_poet wrote: Food for thought:

Mychal Kendricks - LB - Eagles

The Eagles have not approached ILB Mychal Kendricks about an extension as he enters the final year of his rookie contract.

Kendricks is just 24 years old, has difference-making sideline-to-sideline ability and can really cover from the inside linebacker spot. But the Eagles didn't like the way he rehabbed off a calf injury in 2014, and have since traded for Kiko Alonso and extended DeMeco Ryans. Now there's speculation Kendricks could be part of a draft day trade, something we can't rule out with hyper-aggressive Chip Kelly at the controls.
Source: Philadelphia Inquirer & Daily News
Are there any current Vikings that went to Oregon?
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

fiestavike wrote:Are there any current Vikings that went to Oregon?
I think just two: Josh Kaddu and Casey Matthews (both LBs).
Pseudo Everything
Transition Player

Post by Pseudo Everything »

dead_poet wrote:I'm confused; why would the Browns want to move to #11 if Mariota is there, knowing the Vikings would likely not take him? I know Chip has said you don't mortgage the future for one player, BUT moving from 20 to 11 is more cost-effective than from 20 to 2 (or 5). I would absolutely love to trade a healthy amount of picks with Chip. I think that'd be the best-case scenario. If that were to happen, I'm sure Rick and his penchant for draft picks would be downright giddy. I have to admit, I'm almost more excited to watch Philly's draft than our own. Wacky Chip could do all sorts of wheelin' & dealin'.
The Browns could (theoretically) trade up one spot to #11 in order to keep other teams from moving into that spot to take Mariota. It would be the similar to what happened in 2012 when we had the #3 overall pick and the Browns traded up from #4 to take Trent Richardson and we got some extra picks in the process. Seems like an unlikely scenario though because if they are targeting Mariota they probably move ahead of the Rams at #10 or the Jets at #6. They have an extra first round pick this year so they've got the ammo to move up if they want to go that route.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

dead_poet wrote: I'm confused; why would the Browns want to move to #11 if Mariota is there, knowing the Vikings would likely not take him? I know Chip has said you don't mortgage the future for one player, BUT moving from 20 to 11 is more cost-effective than from 20 to 2 (or 5). I would absolutely love to trade a healthy amount of picks with Chip. I think that'd be the best-case scenario. If that were to happen, I'm sure Rick and his penchant for draft picks would be downright giddy. I have to admit, I'm almost more excited to watch Philly's draft than our own. Wacky Chip could do all sorts of wheelin' & dealin'.
They could ensure getting the player they want for a minimal trade (probably 5th or 6th at best to move up that one spot) rather than some other team jumping in front of them. If the Vikings have a player they want that's available they also might be more willing to move down one spot rather than 9.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Pseudo Everything wrote:The Browns could (theoretically) trade up one spot to #11 in order to keep other teams from moving into that spot to take Mariota.
Yes, but the other teams in question are a few spots behind the Browns. I couldn't imagine the trade compensation from the Browns exceeding what would have to be given from, say, the Texans or Chargers. But I suppose you never know. I would think this would, again, be very pleasing to Rick.
Seems like an unlikely scenario though because if they are targeting Mariota they probably move ahead of the Rams at #10 or the Jets at #6. They have an extra first round pick this year so they've got the ammo to move up if they want to go that route.
Yep.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@PFF_Steve QBs had a passer rating of 26.3 when targeting UConn CB Byron Jones. #CFF
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@evansilva Cosell on #Alabama S Landon Collins: "Significant limitations on the back end." Suggested Collins may fit best at LB:
http://mmqb.si.com/2015/03/31/the-mmqb- ... -safeties/
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Ouch. Some CB conversion prospect might be the best S in this draft.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Collins is dropping down boards quick. Just two months ago, Collins was still regarded as a top fifteen pick. I think Colins' value is reflective of the current NFL scene - if you cannot cover, you are not going to be valued significantly at safety.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote: Collins is dropping down boards quick. Just two months ago, Collins was still regarded as a top fifteen pick. I think Colins' value is reflective of the current NFL scene - if you cannot cover, you are not going to be valued significantly at safety.
I think his value coming into the process was more of a reflection of how fans and internet "scouts" drool over safeties that can lay the wood. Collins' stock always reminded me of Taylor Mays and Mark Barron, two box safeties who were very highly rated in the predraft process. Mays fell to the 2nd and Barron was taken top 10, but busted his way out of Tampa.

Landon Collins hits like a truck, and he could be successful in the right spot, but I have a feeling he'll be overdrafted and ultimately a disappointment in the league