Linebacker fits for the Vikings

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Linebacker fits for the Vikings

Post by dead_poet »

The player who best meets that is Mississippi State linebacker Benardrick McKinney (so much for Shaq Thompson)… unless you count Vic Beasley and Bud Dupree as linebackers. This wouldn’t be interesting were it not for the fact that Anthony Barr was exactly the same thing—a position convert who was an edge rusher that may be better suited off the ball. Other linebackers who pass the tests: Eric Kendricks, Stephone Anthony, Jordan Hicks, Bryce Hager and Edmond Robinson.
http://vikingsjournal.com/_/minnesota-v ... acker-r432
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Linebacker fits for the Vikings

Post by CbusVikesFan »

http://ngscsports.com/2015/01/29/scouti ... s-lb-ucla/
Barr's teammate in college with the first pick, pull a classic Spiels move and take Paul Dawson late in the first. Take a guard in the 3rd or 4th, depending on picks traded, and we are closer to being a solid team.
Wow. Barr, Kendricks, and Dawson as the LB corps. Then I woke up.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Can Alvin 'Bud' Dupree realize his immense potential in the NFL?

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/3/27/8 ... -nfl-draft
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

CbusVikesFan wrote:http://ngscsports.com/2015/01/29/scouti ... s-lb-ucla/
Barr's teammate in college with the first pick, pull a classic Spiels move and take Paul Dawson late in the first. Take a guard in the 3rd or 4th, depending on picks traded, and we are closer to being a solid team.
Wow. Barr, Kendricks, and Dawson as the LB corps. Then I woke up.
I am a big Kendricks fan as well. However, if we want Kendricks, we need to move down or trade back up into round one for him.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Stephone Anthony - LB - Tigers

Clemson LB Stephone Anthony "has the ability to be at least a consistent force at inside linebacker," writes NFL Media draft analyst Lance Zierlein.

Anthony ranks as the No. 4 linebacker on the scribe's position rankings. "Anthony has the athleticism to be an NFL linebacker, but he's not an explosive talent," Zierlein wrote. "He tries to get downhill and make plays, but more often it feels like he's guessing rather than instinctive. He'll take high-risk chances that will turn some coaches off. Anthony can make it in the league but he might be more of a depth-chart player than a long-time starter." Zierlein compares Anthony to Zach Orr. At the combine, the 6-foot-2, 235-pound Anthony recorded a 4.56 forty, 1.57 10 yard split, 37" vertical, 10'2" broad jump, 7.07 3-cone and 4.03 20-yard short shuttle.
Source: NFL.com
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Eric Kendricks - LB - Bruins

NFL Media draft analyst Lance Zierlein says NFL scouts "don't see the same explosiveness in [UCLA LB Eric Kendricks] as they see in his brother Mychal (Eagles LB), but they do see the same level of production and desire."

The analyst ranks Kendricks No. 3 amongst linebackers. "Kendricks is an intelligent leader with high football character," Zierlein wrote. "Eric Kendricks plays with plus instincts against the run and pass. He has the athleticism and demeanor to be an impactful, productive outside linebacker in a 4-3 for years to come." Zierlein sees Kendricks as similar to Wesley Woodyard. "His production and character makes it easy for a scout to bang the table for him. The only blow-back I anticipate in my room is regarding his size, but if you stick him at the WILL spot, I don't think it matters," said an NFC West regional scout.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Shaq Thompson - LB - Huskies

Washington OLB Shaq Thompson is a "long, twitchy athlete with outstanding range to become a highly restrictive defender," observed NFL Media draft analyst Lance Zierlein.

The analyst grades Thompson No. 5 amongst linebackers (not including edge rushers who will play LB in the pros), a rather disappointing outlook. "Able to make plays well outside of his area against both the run and pass. With his big-play potential, Thompson could become a unique chess piece in the hands of the right defensive coordinator, but there are a growing number of teams that are beginning to struggle with whether to project Thompson as a safety or 4-3 outside linebacker," Zierlein wrote. Zierlein likens Thompson to Brandon Marshall of the Broncos. Thompson is scheduled for an upcoming visit with the LB-needy Vikings. He'd make a good running mate for Anthony Barr, wouldn't he? "He was 219 pounds when I visited late in the season. I'm concerned about whether he will be able to keep enough weight on to be a 4-3 WILL. Until I see him actually play deep as a safety, I'm not sure that is a projection I'm comfortable making," said an AFC North scout.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Get this guy in Purple pronto.

Film study of Shaq Thompson (and Jay Ajayi): http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2014/09/26/rs ... jay-ajayi/
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

We may need to trade ahead of Carolina in R2 if we want to land the missile.
@ProFootballTalk On PFT Live, LB Shaq Thompson says he's drawn the most interest from the Panthers, who both worked him out and brought him in for a visit.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Luke Easterling’s Positional Rankings: OBLB

1. Eric Kendricks | UCLA | 6’0″, 232 | Grade: 1st Round

One of the best all-around players in this entire draft, Kendricks is a versatile inside backer who can play in either a 4-3 or 3-4. A playmaker with a nose for the ball, Kendricks is a sure tackler with great instincts who should easily be the first OBLB off the board. Team needs could drop him down into the lower half of the 1st round, where he’d be quite the steal.

2. Paul Dawson | TCU | 6’0″, 235 | Grade: 2nd Round

Dawson took plenty of grief for his poor measurables at the combine, but film is king, and that’s where Dawson shines. His drill times showed a lack of athleticism, but he overcomes that on tape with great instincts. He’s likely to drop on Day 2, but I’m confident in the player I see between the lines in Dawson, and he’s worth a high 2nd-rounder.

3. Stephone Anthony | Clemson | 6’3″, 243 | Grade: 2nd Round

An explosive player with great size, Anthony checks all the boxes and should be an instant starter on the inside. He can get overaggressive at times, getting sucked in by the play-action, but he’s violent hitter who arrives in a hurry and has the athleticism to make plays in coverage.

4. Shaq Thompson | Washington | 6’0″, 228 | Grade: 2nd Round

One of the more difficult players in this class to project at the next level, Thompson is an impressive natural athlete who may have a tough time finding a position in the NFL. His best fit will be as a 4-3 outside backer, where his athleticism will be able to shine and his lack of size can be overcome.

5. Denzel Perryman | Miami (FL) | 5’11”, 236 | Grade: 2nd Round

Perryman’s skill set will likely limit him to two-down work at the next level, as he struggles to flip his hips in coverage, but he’s a violent thumper who flies downhill and blasts ball-carriers and lead blockers with the best of them. If he gets into the right fit, he’ll be a valuable run-stuffer from Day 1.

6. Ben Heeney | Kansas | 6’0″, 231 | Grade: 3rd Round

One of the biggest winners at the combine this year, Heeney showed surprising athleticism and change-of-direction skills. On tape, Heeney always finds himself around the ball, but can be a victim of his own eagerness to make a play, leaving himself in poor position. If he can harness his instincts, he could make a big impact early in his NFL career.
http://draftbreakdown.com/luke-easterli ... ings-oblb/
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »