Diet thread

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

Cliff
Site Admin

Re: Diet thread

Post by Cliff »

Funkytown wrote: :lol:

I get what you're saying, but you DO have a lot to be proud of. Most people at that size lose the battle, ya know? At the beginning of "My 600-lb Life" it shares that those people have less than a 5% chance of having long-term success. Because every one of those people get surgery, I'm assuming they mean even with surgery, people that large are most likely to lose the battle. The fact that you were at that point and chose to change on your own is really, really inspiring. Look at you defying those odds!

Seriously, congrats on that.

Thanks for sharing the pics. You both look healthier and...happier. And because none of these jerks said it, your wife looks great!
Thank a lot, I feel a little more proud as I get closer to under the 300lb mark. I will say that it is a daily struggle. Even after years of resisting and losing weight the food is still the hardest part for me. I'm exercising 5 days a week and it feels routine now ... my body just knows it's time to exercise and I don't feel like I *have* to ... it just feels good to do it.

My body can't seem to forget what fried chicken tastes like though ;)
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Cliff wrote:Thank a lot, I feel a little more proud as I get closer to under the 300lb mark. I will say that it is a daily struggle. Even after years of resisting and losing weight the food is still the hardest part for me. I'm exercising 5 days a week and it feels routine now ... my body just knows it's time to exercise and I don't feel like I *have* to ... it just feels good to do it.

My body can't seem to forget what fried chicken tastes like though ;)
It's awful, Cliff. It tastes like hair. Your body is just playing tricks on your memory. Don't eat fried chicken!
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Mothman wrote: It's awful, Cliff. It tastes like hair. Your body is just playing tricks on your memory. Don't eat fried chicken!
Jim, I can't give up pop. Do you have any advice for me? :-)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Mothman wrote: It's awful, Cliff. It tastes like hair. Your body is just playing tricks on your memory. Don't eat fried chicken!
I'll try to associate fried chicken with hair from now on, perhaps that's the ticket!

Now what do we do about pie?

At this point we basically just avoid it all. We have 'challenges' where we won't eat out for periods of time, this last one was 50 days without a restaurant of any kind. Basically we're kind of weening off of eating out. Not that we'll never ever do it again, but maybe 5-6 times a year rather than once (or more, counting lunches) a week. When you control your menu it's a lot easier to eat properly!

Don't know what to tell you about soda, PMR. It was hard for me too. I used to drink a 2-liter or more of pop a day. I just knew I couldn't lose weight while still consuming pop and it's empty calories so I switched to water and after a couple weeks it really wasn't that bad anymore. I just tried to remind myself that, as far as bad habits go (booze, cigarettes, sugar, other drugs, etc), caffeine isn't too bad to kick by comparison lol

Though I will have a soda chaser on the occasion I decide to drink :)
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

I love this thread.

Sugar is considered one of those most addictive substances out there. Sugars, caffeine and starches help create acidic PH in the body which helps create a hospitable climate for non-beneficial bacteria and yeast. Once those critters get a hold in our GI tracts they can create all kinds of issues...especially cravings for more sugar.

Those wild and relentless cravings for soda or candy bars are often the result of colonies of yeast craving sugar. It's basically a parasite situation and a function of the standard american diet (S.A.D.).

There's tons and tons of info on symptoms and long term dysfunction from Candida conditions as well diet plans. Most of main stream Americans are imbalanced in this fashion and the most common physical symptoms besides the cravings are athletes foot and fungal infections/rashes.

My bane is ice cream.....I can eat tons of it :thumbsup:

Anyway, I kicked sugar by controlling my PH with baking soda, fasting, teas and coconut water vs sweetened drinks and regularly using a device called a parasite zapper (The Zapper by Hulda Clark)....plus I was motivated by a book I read while going through massage school called Fit for Life http://www.amazon.com/Fit-Life-Harvey-D ... 0446553646 ....it's full of tons of fun facts about poor food combinations leading to food becoming waste and extraneous mucous in our guts rather than being digested and utilized. blah blah blah.....I could go on for awhile about this stuff.

I fully support anyone wanting to kick sugar habits and getting more energy through eating less. At the end of the day it revolves around commitment....so knowing how it can mess us up down the road helps a lot in that sense.
NDVikeFan
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by NDVikeFan »

I found out my thyroid is under active so I am just trying to figure that out. Once and if I get that corrected, I plan on losing a few pounds. I am 215 now and would love to get to about 205. I'm about 6 ft so I carry it all well.

But at the age of 40 now being skinny really isn't that important anymore.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I'm the lightest I have been in 20 years I'm guessing...

I just qualified for a six times my salary healthy policy at work...

My doctor told me in 2009-2010 I was going to die basically from either Heart Attack
or some other medical issue.. I was borderline Diabetic then..

120 pound weight loss ... Normal blood pressure and heart rate...
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

jackal wrote:I'm the lightest I have been in 20 years I'm guessing...

I just qualified for a six times my salary healthy policy at work...

My doctor told me in 2009-2010 I was going to die basically from either Heart Attack
or some other medical issue.. I was borderline Diabetic then..

120 pound weight loss ... Normal blood pressure and heart rate...
Never heard of that policy, is it life insurance?
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

yeah its a life insurance policy.. about 340 K for a few dollars a week... (6 times salary)

The first time I tried to get it, my health disqualified me because of weight
and other problems.

Basically I have lost almost 30 pounds on average a year and not returned to anywhere
close to where I was, at the beginning
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

jackal wrote:yeah its a life insurance policy.. about 340 K for a few dollars a week... (6 times salary)

The first time I tried to get it, my health disqualified me because of weight
and other problems.

Basically I have lost almost 30 pounds on average a year and not returned to anywhere
close to where I was, at the beginning
That's really good work. Hope you don't need that policy for a good long time.~
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Policy is just for my boys...

I knocked 579.8 calories walking uphill on treadmill tonight.

I did core muscle group workout also
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I did my first 5K today in West Sacramento ... wasn't fast but I finished strong ...

It was a good feeling
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

jackal wrote:I did my first 5K today in West Sacramento ... wasn't fast but I finished strong ...

It was a good feeling
Congratulations!

I did my 5k a couple of months ago. I started running (at the pace I go I've always considered it jogging) when my elliptical broke a few months back and it's been going well. I can do 1.5-2 miles without stopping and I generally do 3-5 miles on a cardio day. Generally I can do mid-14 minute miles but my pace is never what you'd consider to be very good.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Good job guys. I walked from the kitchen to the toilet a couple times.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I did my 5k a couple of months ago. I started running (at the pace I go I've always considered it jogging) when my elliptical broke a few months back and it's been going well. I can do 1.5-2 miles without stopping and I generally do 3-5 miles on a cardio day. Generally I can do mid-14 minute miles but my pace is never what you'd consider to be very good.
Yeah I wanted to race people but the point was to finish and get healthy.

Cliff your cardio is better than mine if your doing that much, good job.