Pro Days/Visits

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Pro Days/Visits

Post by dead_poet »

Some notes on Vikings' coaches at various Pro Days (gathered from Walter): http://walterfootball.com/proday.php

Michigan: LB Jake Ryan
Michigan Linebacker Jake Ryan looked solid in all his position drills. His hip turn needs a bit of work, but overall, he received positive reviews. The Philadelphia Eagles and Minnesota Vikings both sent linebacker coaches.

As tweeted earlier, Vikings' general manager Rick Spielman was in attendance. Viking fans will want to consider both Funchess and Ryan at some point in their team's mock.
Brown: Long snapper Courtland Clavette
Of note during Brown's pro day was the work out of long snapper Courtland Clavette, who measured 6-3, 241 pounds and then ran a best 40 time of 4.71 seconds. He also completed 22 reps on the bench and looked good snapping the ball. Six teams (Patriots, Dolphins, Redskins, Chiefs, Packers) were on hand, including the Minnesota Vikings, who sent special teams coach Mike Prefier. Many feel Clavette now ranks as one of the top two long snappers available in the 2015 NFL Draft.
Oklahoma: WR Dorial Green-Beckham, DB JulianWilson, OT Tyrus Thompson
Receiver Dorial Green-Beckham sat on his 40 time from the Combine after weighing in at 236 pounds, one less than the Combine. He did post a 10-foot broad jump (9-11 Combine) and 33-inch vertical (33.5 Combine).

Defensive back Julian Wilson improved his 40 time from Indianapolis, timing 4.50 (4.53 Combine), after measuring 6-2 and 201 pounds.

Offensive tackle Tyrus Thompson, who did not run at the Combine due to a foot injury, timed 5.40.

As reported earlier, Thompson and teammate Daryl Williams met with the Minnesota Vikings yesterday. I've also been informed both players met with the Tennessee Titans and St Louis Rams.
UAB: Tight end Kennard Backman
Since UAB no longer has a football program, the draft-eligible prospects worked out in front of nearly 18 teams as part of Samford's pro-day.

Jamarcus Nelson, who scorched the track at the combine, sat on his 40 time from Indianapolis but looked very good catching the football.

The star of the day was little-known tight end Kennard Backman, whom I presently grade as a free agent. Backman came into the workout measuring 6035/238lbs and ran 40 times as fast as 4.57 seconds on watches (some had him in the mid-4.6-second area). His other marks included 35 1/2-inches in the vertical and 9-9 in the broad.

Backman looked incredibly athletic during the workout (he was also recruited as a basketball player) which was run by New England Patriots director of personnel Nick Cesario. Later, Backman worked out with the Philadelphia Eagles, and his schedule includes workouts with the Minnesota Vikings and Indianapolis Colts.
Arizona State: DL Marcus Hardison
Marcus Hardison, who did not participate at the Combine because of an injury, stood out and was a star at Arizona State's pro day. Hardison measured 6-3 1/4, 305 pounds, then ran his 40s in times of 4.92 and 4.95, though some watches had him in the 4.8s. His 10 split was in the 1.70 range. Hardison's short shuttle timed at 4.68 with a 7.29 three-cone.

Hardison looked terrific in line drills, which was run by the Minnesota Vikings, as scouts commented on his exceptional quick twitch muscles. Coaches in attendance remarked that had he been able to run at the Combine, Hardison would've ranked as one of the top overall performers on the defensive line. Yesterday, Hardison met privately with the Miami Dolphins and San Francisco 49ers.
Clemson: LB Stephone Anthony
I'm told linebacker Stephone Anthony had a phenomenal day. He only did position drills but teams were impressed with his overall performance, especially his cover skills. Anthony met with the Minnesota Vikings and San Francisco 49ers yesterday before having dinner with the Philadelphia Eagles.

Anthony has been on a straight shot north up draft boards since September. He stood out during the Senior Bowl, then looked terrific at the Combine and capped it off today at pro day. How high will Anthony be selected? The second round seems like a lock but it now looks as though he'll be chosen in the early to middle part of the frame. That poses a problem for a team like the Green Bay Packers, who've shown a lot of interest in the linebacker.
Nebraska: Randy Gregory
The Minnesota Vikings have spent and extensive amount of time with Gregory before the start of today's workout. We expected there will be a team or two who grabs him afterward. At the time of posting, Gregory is only planning on participating in position drills. From the standpoint of position drills, I'm told Gregory looked terrific. He did both linebacker and defensive line drills, and really impressed, though some were surprised the workout was shorter than expected.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Pro Days

Post by dead_poet »

@MSU_Football CB Trae Waynes improved on his 20-yard shuttle time at MSU's Pro Day from the NFL Combine (today: 4.19; NFL Combine: 4.39).
@MSU_Football Waynes also ran the 60-yard shuttle in 11.24 seconds, which would have been the sixth-fastest time among defensive backs at the NFL Combine.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

:thumbsup: Great work, thank you.
Nice to hear that homework is being done by the staff.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@TonyPauline More on Jay Ajayi/RB/Boise St: Had individual/private meetings with San Fransisco 49ers, Minnesota Vikings & Jacksonville Jaguars on Wed
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@MasterStrib And Arizona State safety Damarious Randall and DL Marcus Hardison will visit #Vikings. Hardison April 6-7, Randall April 7-8.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@TomPelissero Worked out for #Vikings, #Colts, others. RT @usatoday_nfl: #NFLDraft diary: Pitt's Clemmings http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf ... /70481016/
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

dead_poet wrote:
I don't think Clemmings is dropping into round two of the draft. So this either means Minnesota would be interested in trading down into the draft or trading up into the later part of round one to draft him - unless of course, Minnesota is just doing its due diligence on a player by working him (very likely).
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Nate Orchard - DL - Utes

Utah edge rusher Nate Orchard has met with the Browns, Colts and Vikings over the past few days, reports TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline.

Per the analyst, the Browns project Orchard to linebacker and the Colts project him to defensive end. The defensive end hoisted up 23 reps on the bench and "looked terrific in position drills" at his pro day event, wrote Pauline. At the combine, Orchard logged a mediocre 31.5-inch vertical jump and 4.80 second 40-yard dash. He didn't bench due to a shoulder injury. The breakout star recorded 84 tackles, 21.5 TFL and 18.5 sacks last season after posting only three sacks in 2013.
Source: Walter Football
dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Pro Days/Visits

Post by dead_poet »

@DWolfsonKSTP Another draft prospect visiting the #Vikings, per source: CB Marcus Peters. He was dismissed from Washington last November.
@DWolfsonKSTP WR Dorial Green-Beckham is scheduled to visit the #Vikings, per source.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Kyle Emanuel - DL - Bison

North Dakota State edge rusher Kyle Emanuel was the "hot property" at the school's pro day last week, where he was was worked out at three separate positions, reports TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline.

The college defensive lineman went through defensive line drills and then worked as a linebacker under the instruction of the Philadelphia Eagles. According to Pauline, the organization believes Emanuel could play on the outside or in the middle of their scheme. In addition to all of that, the Jacksonville Jaguars put Emanuel through fullback drills. The versatile prospect has an official visit scheduled with the Pittsburgh Steelers and will work out for the Minnesota Vikings on Monday. The 6-foot-3, 251-pounder, who played in the East-West Shrine Game, is one of the FCS' best pro defensive prospects.
Source: Walter Football
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Outside linebacker Kyle Emanuel (6-foot-4 1/2, 254 pounds) played defensive end at North Dakota State, but is better suited to play strong-side linebacker at the next level. He stood on his numbers from the NFL Scouting Combine, where he was a top performer in his position group on the bench press. Emanuel -- who has 30 3/8-inch arms -- had a good pro day workout, and has people from the Minnesota Vikings and Pittsburgh Steelers coming in to work him out at linebacker this week.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... from-teams
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

He must be hitting a growth spurt. Just one post prior to this one and he was only 6-foot-3! :wink:
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@Dan_Hope At least 26 NFL teams represented here at #UConn today. #Vikings coach Mike Zimmer among those in attendance.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@Dan_Hope Mike Zimmer coaching Byron Jones in DB drills, giving him instructions. https://twitter.com/Dan_Hope/status/582913329607372800
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@desmondconner Scout walked past me shaking his head after Byron Jones records 4.36-second 40..."that's ridiculous" he said #UConnFootball #ProDay