Adrian Peterson Reinstated

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Adrian Peterson (not) Reinstated

Post by Mothman »

The brief video conversation between Sal Paolantonio and Kevin Seifert at the link below is worth watching, particularly for Siefert's take on the situation:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12546 ... -right-fit

Edit: I just found this written piece by Siefert too, which i highly recommend:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/ ... hey-should
PHOENIX -- This is not a drill. They're not joking. The Minnesota Vikings really do want Adrian Peterson back on their team in 2015. Believing they have their best team of this decade, they won't allow a conflicted superstar, or his increasingly vocal agent, to dislodge their position.

The Vikings hold almost all the leverage in this standoff; Peterson is under contract through 2017, and the threat of a holdout is hollow given his 15-game absence last season. The only tool agent Ben Dogra has is to make a public spectacle, a strategy that continued forming Monday when he said he didn't think it was in Peterson's "best interests" to play in Minnesota. But after speaking with a number of people involved in the situation here at the NFL owners meetings, both on and off the record, it seems clear that the Vikings are dug in and prepared to wait out a public assault.

"The bottom line is that he has represented us on and off the field, and we're getting ready for the 2015 season," co-owner and team president Mark Wilf said. "We fully expect him to join his teammates and be part of what we feel is going to be a great season ahead. That's our view and our feeling as ownership."
Now, the franchise wants a return on its patience. The Vikings are confident in their position, dubious about Peterson's tolerance for missing more time and convinced that, ultimately, he would return rather than miss any installments of a $12.75 million base salary. It's not a ruse and, this time, I don't think I've fallen for much spin. Sometimes, the truth is too obvious to ignore.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

For what it's worth...

Cowboys Won’t Enter Adrian Peterson Sweepstakes
The Cowboys won’t be pursuing a trade for Vikings superstar Adrian Peterson, two sources tell 105.3 The Fan, citing among the reasons the team’s more disciplined approach to spending at the running back position and the running back depth in the upcoming NFL Draft.

Peterson, who turned 30 today, clearly wants a fresh start from Minnesota and has expressed a desire to play for the Cowboys in his home state. But the Cowboys have never been interested in taking on his existing contract ($12, $15 and $17 million for the next three seasons) and believe even if he negotiates to a reduced rate, his salary would be exorbitant — especially compared to the fraction of the cost of exploring draft-eligible runners like Todd Gurley and Tevin Coleman.

This isn’t a “cap-hell’’ issue; Dallas can easily make the room to absorb any contract. It’s a bang-for-your-buck issue.
More at the link.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

DK Sweets wrote:That sounds better to me, too
It might sound better but I think it's absolutely not going to happen. Peterson is physically gifted and may well last past the normal shelf life of a running back, but I just don't think teams would be willing to part with multiple first round picks for him.

I could see a trade for an elite player of his age with a similar contract. I think that's more likely than multiple 1st rounders.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mothman wrote:The brief video conversation between Sal Paolantonio and Kevin Seifert at the link below is worth watching, particularly for Siefert's take on the situation:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12546 ... -right-fit

Edit: I just found this written piece by Siefert too, which i highly recommend:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/ ... hey-should
It's a good read and I agree that this is probably poised for a stalemate that lasts awhile with little to no communication from Peterson, his agent or Vikings brass. Everyone (save Peterson himself) has been public about their stance. The Vikings want him back. They won't release him. They'll only trade him for fair value. Peterson apparently wants out. The big problem I see is time. There's a lot of it between now and September 10. Which means six more months of media (and fan) speculation, though I suppose it'll come to a head earlier than that at Vikings training camp. I just hope it doesn't get any uglier. If it does, it'll likely come from AD's camp as I would hope the Vikings management sticks to the talking points they've developed thus far and don't add any unnecessary fuel to this dumb fire.

I can't help but feel saddened (and annoyed) it has come to this, but I still hold out hope that Adrian the Football Player will emerge from all this and we'll forget this entire thing by Week 4 as he tears up the league again. That's my hope anyway. I just can't see AD, for the great competitor he is, to sit at home and brood, get fined, draw ire of his coaches and teammates (while they support him returning I'd be curious how they'd feel about him actually pouting/holding out) and get even further behind all-time NFL rushing records. That would surprise (and disappoint) me quite a bit. I fear this thread will get a lot longer before we can close the book on this saga.

Edit: It will be quite interesting to see if the Vikings take one of this draft class' top RBs in the first three rounds and how that affects things (if at all).
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

The Star Tribune's take:
The Vikings hold all the leverage in this situation. Peterson is under contract for the next few seasons. He’s scheduled to make nearly $13 million this season.
Make him honor his contract for one more season.

Unless I’m completely reading the situation wrong, Peterson might return disgruntled but I don’t think he would give a half-hearted effort on the football field. That’s not his nature.

He cares too much about his legacy in the game and he’s too competitive to just go through the motions because he’s mad at the Vikings.
He might pout in the locker room or boycott the media, but I’m guessing he has too much respect for Mike Zimmer and his teammates to give less than his best on game day.

Nobody wants an unhappy star player, but the Vikings have to do what’s best for their organization, too. They shouldn’t make a dumb, hasty trade just because Peterson’s camp is trying to orchestrate his exit.

Both sides look like their digging in their heels. This situation could become even uglier and more bizarre than it already is, but unless another team brings an attractive trade offer too good to refuse, the Vikings should give Peterson two options: Play this season or sit.
http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/297375691.html
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mackey: An apology to Adrian Peterson, on behalf of the Vikings
Adrian,

I want to apologize, on behalf of the Vikings, for paying you millions of dollars to carry the ball 21 times in 2014. That St. Louis Rams defense was ferocious.

I want to apologize, on behalf of the Vikings, for holding a press conference, just hours after your indictment, defending your honor. Even though this press conference made the franchise look extremely foolish under a national spotlight -- subsequently infuriating fans, media, the NFL and Radisson Hotels - I apologize.

I want to apologize, on behalf of the Vikings, for Matt Asiata and his 3.5 yards per carry. I know how frustrating that must have been for you to watch from afar.

I want to apologize, on behalf of the Vikings, for ignoring the itch to restructure your contract and instead offering to pay your 2015 salary of $12+ million in full - and $15 million toward the salary cap - despite the non-guaranteed nature of said contract, your age (30) at a volatile position and your injury history.

I also want to apologize, Adrian, on behalf of the Vikings, for offering this chance at redemption -- a chance to play for the Vikings again in 2015 despite all that transpired. Most of the fans, media and people in the organization believed a second chance was warranted in this situation, but clearly that was a misread.

And finally, I want to apologize on behalf of the state of Minnesota, which callously charged you with injuring a child via a switch in the first place. If we had all just looked the other way, everything would be cool, right?

Wait, what? Oh, it was Texas that charged Peterson, not Minnesota?

OK, then I apologize on behalf of the state of Texas.

Well, you get the idea, Adrian. I, on behalf of the Vikings, feel horrible about all of our missteps over the past few months.

Hopefully you can forgive us.
http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Mack ... ings032315
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

Haven't been here in months but man...AP is good as gone. I hope we can get a great trade for him and say goodbye. Dude has worn thin here. BYE
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

The Mackey column is exactly right. I think AP and is Agent need to take a sip of reality on this mess. (Of AP’s making…) It seems at this juncture that if they turn this into a publicity spectacle that it is highly likely AP will come out of it looking worse and not MN. You’d think a guy who already trashed his reputation would just relish the opportunity to come back and perform to start salvaging and rebuilding his public image. Instead he decided to get greedy. Pathetic.

I hope he comes back and tears up the league for us, but I’m not buying his jersey.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
MikethePurple
Veteran

Post by MikethePurple »

This whole situation is obviously a huge mess at this point. A lot of the finger pointing has been at Adrian (for good reason by the way his agent has handled communication so far). Obviously Adrian has shown some questionable judgement throughout his career in Minnesota and it gets me to wondering whether Adrian really has lost touch with reality or really is not the person many of the fans had pictured him to be. It is very difficult to know what is going on behind the scenes as we are only privy to a glimpse of it but one incident from the past may shed some light on the current situation so I'm going to do some speculating.

When Adrian was arrested for the bar incident (a few years back, I believe) he was intent on clearing his name and was ready for a long legal fight to do so because from what he seemed to indicate, reputation and legacy for a public figure (himself particularly) was very important to him. He fought those charges and won and he was cleared. He initially was going to fight these charges in Texas. Now obviously these are very different cases and I don't have any insider info on the evidence the prosecutors had, but taken in the context of the previous case he could have been intent on clearing his name of the charges in a long legal fight.

From the discussions he had with the league, his lawyers (and possibly those with the Vikings) he seemed to have been persuaded to take the plea at the court which kept him out of jail and as he thought would get him back on the field sometime this past season. It sounds like the league and individuals with the Vikings worked to keep him off the field for the remainder of the year once they saw what kind of PR mess this had become in the context of the Ray Rice case. Adrian may feel betrayed by the Vikings or individuals within the organization for persuading him to take the plea with the carrot that taking the plea would allow him to get back on the field this year. Then after taking the plea he sees individuals with the Vikings and the league working to keep him off the field for the year along with now having pleaded guilty to the charges (albeit lesser charges) against him. So he then feels cheated by those in the organization and cheated out of a chance to clear his name by actions he reluctantly took in order to get back on the field (which he wasn't able to do) so he feels he got the shortest end of the stick (this clearly doesn't include the jail time he could have received, but as I stated, I believe Adrian has demonstrated a lack of perspective plenty of times in his time in the league).

Like I said, its speculation (probably wild) and assumptions but a theory on why Adrian may be so disgruntled with the organization. This also isn't meant as a defense to him as it is his actions that are to blame but just something I had been thinking about over the past day.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:It's a good read and I agree that this is probably poised for a stalemate that lasts awhile with little to no communication from Peterson, his agent or Vikings brass. Everyone (save Peterson himself) has been public about their stance. The Vikings want him back. They won't release him. They'll only trade him for fair value. Peterson apparently wants out. The big problem I see is time. There's a lot of it between now and September 10. Which means six more months of media (and fan) speculation, though I suppose it'll come to a head earlier than that at Vikings training camp. I just hope it doesn't get any uglier. If it does, it'll likely come from AD's camp as I would hope the Vikings management sticks to the talking points they've developed thus far and don't add any unnecessary fuel to this dumb fire.

I can't help but feel saddened (and annoyed) it has come to this, but I still hold out hope that Adrian the Football Player will emerge from all this and we'll forget this entire thing by Week 4 as he tears up the league again. That's my hope anyway.
For what it's worth, I don't think that's an unrealistic hope at all, especially because I believe this situation probably has more to do with getting guaranteed money than anything else. I don't doubt that there are other issues at play but Dogra is basically playing the only card he has and I'm betting it's to get some guaranteed money for his client and himself, one way or another. From a PR point of view, the timing is awful but from a contractual/financial view, the timing is right and I'd say there's a chance this standoff could have happened this spring even without the events surrounding Peterson last year.

Anyway, it's been stated again and again that Peterson has no leverage. That's not quite true but he doesn't have much and the leverage he has is the leverage Dogra is using. If they want more guaranteed money, the only way they're going to get it is via an actual trade, followed by a renegotiation to make Peterson's contract more manageable for his new team, or from the Vikings, who have no incentive to give it to him unless they want to reduce his cap hit now. Consequently, the only card Camp Peterson can play is the implied threat of a holdout, followed by an actual holdout once mandatory team activities begin. It's ugly but it's also the way these things often go when it comes to big NFL contracts and star players. It does sadden me to see things come to this. :(
I just can't see AD, for the great competitor he is, to sit at home and brood, get fined, draw ire of his coaches and teammates (while they support him returning I'd be curious how they'd feel about him actually pouting/holding out) and get even further behind all-time NFL rushing records. That would surprise (and disappoint) me quite a bit. I fear this thread will get a lot longer before we can close the book on this saga.
Oh, I have no doubt...

I think you're right on target about Peterson's competitive spirit. I suspect the last thing he'll want to do is miss more games. The strategy appears to be to get the Vikings to "meet in the middle" and either cut a new deal or trade him. I'm sure the Vikes don't want a standoff that lasts into the regular season but it's the NFL so both sides will likely dig in for months to see who blinks first. We'll probably see a lot more posturing (and hear a lot more fan venting and media rumormongering) between now and August.
Edit: It will be quite interesting to see if the Vikings take one of this draft class' top RBs in the first three rounds and how that affects things (if at all).
That will be interesting! As you and I have discussed, I'd go ahead and take a back like Coleman if he's available. I'm hoping the Vikes do that and if they do, I think it would only strengthen their position.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:Mackey: An apology to Adrian Peterson, on behalf of the Vikings
http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Mack ... ings032315
I find that really annoying. I get what Mackey is trying to do but it's a completely disingenuous way to frame the situation. He's just pandering to a crowd eager to stay angry.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

MikethePurple wrote:This whole situation is obviously a huge mess at this point. A lot of the finger pointing has been at Adrian (for good reason by the way his agent has handled communication so far). Obviously Adrian has shown some questionable judgement throughout his career in Minnesota and it gets me to wondering whether Adrian really has lost touch with reality or really is not the person many of the fans had pictured him to be. It is very difficult to know what is going on behind the scenes as we are only privy to a glimpse of it but one incident from the past may shed some light on the current situation so I'm going to do some speculating.

When Adrian was arrested for the bar incident (a few years back, I believe) he was intent on clearing his name and was ready for a long legal fight to do so because from what he seemed to indicate, reputation and legacy for a public figure (himself particularly) was very important to him. He fought those charges and won and he was cleared. He initially was going to fight these charges in Texas. Now obviously these are very different cases and I don't have any insider info on the evidence the prosecutors had, but taken in the context of the previous case he could have been intent on clearing his name of the charges in a long legal fight.

From the discussions he had with the league, his lawyers (and possibly those with the Vikings) he seemed to have been persuaded to take the plea at the court which kept him out of jail and as he thought would get him back on the field sometime this past season. It sounds like the league and individuals with the Vikings worked to keep him off the field for the remainder of the year once they saw what kind of PR mess this had become in the context of the Ray Rice case. Adrian may feel betrayed by the Vikings or individuals within the organization for persuading him to take the plea with the carrot that taking the plea would allow him to get back on the field this year. Then after taking the plea he sees individuals with the Vikings and the league working to keep him off the field for the year along with now having pleaded guilty to the charges (albeit lesser charges) against him. So he then feels cheated by those in the organization and cheated out of a chance to clear his name by actions he reluctantly took in order to get back on the field (which he wasn't able to do) so he feels he got the shortest end of the stick (this clearly doesn't include the jail time he could have received, but as I stated, I believe Adrian has demonstrated a lack of perspective plenty of times in his time in the league).

Like I said, its speculation (probably wild) and assumptions but a theory on why Adrian may be so disgruntled with the organization. This also isn't meant as a defense to him as it is his actions that are to blame but just something I had been thinking about over the past day.
Good post, Mike and although you are speculating, I don't think thats wild speculation. It may be quite close to the mark.

The conversation Peterson had with NFL V.P. Troy Vincent certainly led him to believe that by accepting a plea agreement he would be able to get back on the field after a 2 game suspension. It obviously didn't work out that way and if the Vikings helped make that happen, he has good reason to be frustrated with them. Lost in the talk about how generous the Vikings supposedly were to pay Peterson (as if they weren't acting in self-interest) is the fact that the indefinite suspension he received cost him 6 games and millions of dollars, (not to mention playing time). Goodell spent a good two weeks dallying about taking Peterson off the exempt list too, which cost him another game. That's 5 more games than vincent led Peterson to believe he'd miss. It's painfully obvious that the NFL didn't want him back on the field in the 2014 season. The question is to what degree, if any, the Vikings cooperated with the league and encouraged that outcome.
dkoby
All Pro Elite Player

Post by dkoby »

First of all, let's remember that Dogra is a sports agent. He has no public humility or shame, so they can, and will say anything they need, to get their client as much money and favorable benefits as possible. Adrian in the end can just blame his agent for speaking out of turn. He seems to be laying blame at everyone elses' feet, even claiming the statements from his wife. He seem quite cowardly in this regard, not actually setting the record straight at some time. I'm sure he reads the newspapers and can see all the speculation.
So in that regard, I believe this IS all about getting more guaranteed money.

On a further note, I'm going to find it VERY interesting when Adrian has to make himself available to the media and how he will handle these interviews. Will he just do one for a primetime slot and try to get this thing resolved? or will he piecemeal it with a bunch of local media outlets? How will he respond to being pressed on his actual actions that caused this whole thing in the first place. He's been able to essentially hide from them since this thing broke.
Methinks everyone here should brace themselves for another media storm. No matter who Adrian plays for, there will be an enormous press interest when he hits the field. Will he stick his foot in his mouth? How far will ESPN go to make him/the Vikings/Dogra look bad? Other shoes to drop? Some other unreported things make headlines?

And, do the Vikings want to deal with all this? Brett Favre was a great player too, but I found the media attention quite annoying. Jen Sturger anyone?
The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds,the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps.
Elenore Roosevelt. 1945
slapnut19
Transition Player

Post by slapnut19 »

still over a month until the draft and for the trade market to really develop. a month is a long time for antsy owners, gms, and coaches to talk themselves into what adding peterson would mean for their teams. also the teams who are showing interest now probably haven't came forward with their best offers. i'd still be thrilled to get a 2nd or a 3rd and a player. this talk of getting multiple first rounds picks is just silly. like seifert said. adrian has much more value to the vikes than he does to another team. i say get what you can, because the longer you hold on to a player in a situation like this the uglier it can get.
MikethePurple
Veteran

Post by MikethePurple »

Mothman wrote: Good post, Mike and although you are speculating, I don't think thats wild speculation. It may be quite close to the mark.

The conversation Peterson had with NFL V.P. Troy Vincent certainly led him to believe that by accepting a plea agreement he would be able to get back on the field after a 2 game suspension. It obviously didn't work out that way and if the Vikings helped make that happen, he has good reason to be frustrated with them. Lost in the talk about how generous the Vikings supposedly were to pay Peterson (as if they weren't acting in self-interest) is the fact that the indefinite suspension he received cost him 6 games and millions of dollars, (not to mention playing time). Goodell spent a good two weeks dallying about taking Peterson off the exempt list too, which cost him another game. That's 5 more games than vincent led Peterson to believe he'd miss. It's painfully obvious that the NFL didn't want him back on the field in the 2014 season. The question is to what degree, if any, the Vikings cooperated with the league and encouraged that outcome.
Thanks Jim, its hard to know what happens behind closed doors and what people are thinking so speculation is usually just that but it seems like a plausible scenario. Plus its the offseason and its a big story right now :)

While I really haven't liked Dogra's insinuations that Peterson is somehow the victim here, it is apparent that he was caught in a set of circumstances due to the Ray Rice fiasco that made his situation much worse than it would have been and that the NFL, from the Vincent conversations, (and possibly the Vikings) were less than truthful with Peterson. Not to excuse anything Peterson did (and I actually feel the punishment that he ultimately received was appropriate), but I do feel the NFL treated him unfairly in not being transparent and really making the process up as they went along.

Hopefully the NFL will take this as a lesson and actually get a workable policy together to address these issues rather than an ill defined Commissioner's List that really has no discernible process or objective benchmarks of accountability both from the players and the NFL head office.
Last edited by MikethePurple on Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.