Paul Dawson

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Paul Dawson

Post by dead_poet »

NFL draft diary: TCU's Paul Dawson explains combine struggles
should've gone easy on myself at the combine. I had a tweak in my hamstring in my first 40-yard dash. I felt it the last 10 yards or so. I should've just sat it down from there. But I wanted to keep going. I wanted to keep competing against everybody. I thought I could stretch it and do some other stuff to it before my next 40. It was still pretty tight on me. I still ran anyway.

The combine is just like the game. You treat it just like the game. Everybody is out there competing. In the game, I'm not going to sit down just because my hamstrings are tight or whatever. I'm going to keep competing, so that's what I decided to do. It turned out not too good. But my pro day will be much better.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ml ... /25035993/
‏@TomPelissero #Vikings are among the teams that will have Paul Dawson in for a visit. Need linebackers and I can see the fit.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

dead_poet wrote:NFL draft diary: TCU's Paul Dawson explains combine struggles
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ml ... /25035993/
*Fingers crossed*

Say it with me:

The film doesn't lie

SERIOUSLY, everyone WATCH this whole tape and try to tell me that you don't want this kid playing for us:

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/paul-da ... sota-2014/

Paul Dawson knows how to PLAY.
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

If I may post other LB's in this thread for comparison and debate.
http://walterfootball.com/draft2015ILB.php
It looks to me that most of them are about the same physical level, which one of these guys has the best instincts? We need a MLB somehow fitting in with Zimmer. Will the Vikings pass again, not addressing this position, long term? For the love of purple, I hope not.

Stats for 2014:
http://espn.go.com/college-football/sta ... oloTackles
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

If there was an overriding theme to emerge from the Minnesota Vikings' visits at the NFL scouting combine last month, it was the team's interest in both inside and outside linebackers. The Vikings will continue to examine their options at linebacker when they spend some time with one of the more polarizing players in the draft.

TCU linebacker P.J. Dawson wrote in his USA Today prospect diary on Thursday that he has a visit scheduled with the Vikings, in addition to four other teams -- the Kansas City Chiefs, Carolina Panthers, Atlanta Falcons and Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Dawson, who was the Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year, is trying to overcome a disappointing performance at the combine while dealing with some character questions.
http://espn.go.com/blog/minnesota-vikin ... it-vikings
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Top linebacker a la Zierlein:

Lance Zierlein's top 10 linebackers
1. OLB Paul Dawson, TCU
Zierlein's bottom line: Outrageously productive linebacker with a nose for the ball. Dawson averages a tackle every 5.3 snaps and either caused or recovered a total of eight turnovers during the 2014 season. Evaluators understand that Dawson has been a handful while at TCU and that will turn some teams off to him completely. Dawson can play inside in a two-gap scheme but is a natural fit at 4-3 WILL.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... inebackers
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@Gil_Brandt LB Paul Dawson timed from 4.78 to 4.82 in 40 at TCU's pro day, improving on combine time (4.93); obviously, a big help for him.
@therealmarklane #Vikings LB coach Adam Zimmer is here at #TCU pro day.
Pseudo Everything
Transition Player

Post by Pseudo Everything »

Dawson lost weight for his Pro Day, got down to 230, and he still runs a 4.8 40. Is he going to play at 230 in the NFL? I don't see how he can be a 3 down LB with his lack of foot speed. On the other hand his game tape is very good. Classic example of someone who plays faster than he times ... or ... someone whose college game doesn't project to the NFL. Flip a coin. I think he's going to slide to the 3rd round.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

I don't care about his 40 time at all. He's never going to be covering somebody 40 yards down the field without help.

His 10 yard dash is comparable to Luke Kuechly and his 20 yard dash is better. He doesn't have top end speed, but he can play in the box.

He needs to work in agility, but I'm not super worried about that. His numbers (except for the 40 time) are very similar to Navarro Bowman. If the tape says he can play, grab him. Don't worry about what he can't do, focus on what he can.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Paul Dawson - LB - Horned Frogs

TFY Draft Insider Tony Pauline reports that TCU LB Paul Dawson met with the Minnesota Vikings Thursday, and has an official visit set up with the Vikings and Panthers, and will work out for the Patriots.

At his pro day, the 6-foot-2, 230-pound Dawson weighed five pounds lighter than he did at the combine. The TCU prospect posted 10-0 in the long jump, which was eleven inches better than his combine mark. Pauline notes that Dawson's "drill work was fantastic" and he "looked smooth, quick and explosive" and believes he did "enough to keep him in the top 45."
Source: Walter Football
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Paul Dawson - LB - Horned Frogs

TCU LB Paul Dawson's "instincts and production are off the charts, and are untouchable by any linebacker in this draft," notes NFL Media draft analyst Lance Zierlein.

Dawson's evaluation comes with reservations. He was frequently late for meetings in school and didn't always get along with his position coach. His combine performance was also amongst the worst showings of any player in this class. That said, we're smitten with him, as is Zierlein. "Dawson's production and instincts are first-round worthy, but he must prove he's fast enough for the NFL game or he'll be just another guy as a pro," the analyst wrote. Dawson had 136 tackles, 20 TFL, six sacks, three fumbles recovered, four interceptions and nine passes defensed in 29 targets last year. Those numbers are silly. Dawson has visited the San Francisco 49ers, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Minnesota Vikings and Kansas City Chiefs and has had private workouts for the Bucs and Atlanta Falcons.
Source: NFL.com
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... -prospects
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:Case against Paul Dawson: http://www.footballsavages.com/rage-aga ... ul-dawson/
They make a pretty strong case.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mothman wrote: They make a pretty strong case.
Indeed. I'm in the "shy away" camp myself but if the Vikings draft him I'm all for being totally and completely wrong.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote: They make a pretty strong case.
I certainly like Kendricks and Anthony a lot better.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins