NFL to study data from combine drills

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

NFL to study data from combine drills

Post by dead_poet »

Code: Select all

The NFL has used a standard set of drills, including a 40-yard dash, 20-yard shuttle and three-cone drill at its scouting combine for several decades, including the most recent combine held earlier this month in Indianapolis.

"We run the 40-yard dash in Indianapolis. Why? The only reason anyone can ever give you is, that's how it's always been done," Birk said.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12393 ... ine-drills
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Demi
Commissioner

Re: NFL to study data from combine drills

Post by Demi »

What are the real or improved measures of importance and value as it relates to evaluating players and whether or not they should be drafted in the first round or the sixth round?
Which is what I was trying to ask in that other thread. :wallbang:
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: NFL to study data from combine drills

Post by Mothman »

"There's been a ton of studies being done now on your bone length as it pertains to your chances of playing a receiver position, chances of playing a defensive back position. How is your chassis basically made up of? Now when you're actually putting it to movements other than a cone drill, I think that's in the long term going to show up in a player evaluation."
I predict "bone length" will be the "small hands" of the future,. It can bring a whole new level of crazy concern to the annual spring festival we football fanatics call "NFL Draft season". Image