Diet thread

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Diet thread

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Congrats Cliff. Amazing. I struggle losing 10lbs.

Inspiring for sure.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Nice pics Cliff!! You look so much better now!!

SKOL CLIFF!!
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Awesome for you, Cliff!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

808vikingsfan wrote:Congrats Cliff. Amazing. I struggle losing 10lbs.
Ditto.

Cliff, I'm blown away by what you've accomplished. Keep up the good work, my friend!

Ditto for Josh and anyone else who's working to lose weight. I'm trying to do so myself. I took off 5 lbs before the holidays then gained it all back. I need to make a more serious commitment to it this year.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Thanks, everyone. It means a lot.

Weight loss (and maintaining it!) is difficult but it's certainly worth it. I look forward to struggling to lose 10lbs, hopefully that'll mean I'm close to my goal weight. Even getting as close as 100lbs from it the struggle is much greater than it used to be.

I hope everyone is successful in their weight loss. The health benefits are definitely worth it.
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

Cliff wrote:Thanks, everyone. It means a lot.

Weight loss (and maintaining it!) is difficult but it's certainly worth it. I look forward to struggling to lose 10lbs, hopefully that'll mean I'm close to my goal weight. Even getting as close as 100lbs from it the struggle is much greater than it used to be.

I hope everyone is successful in their weight loss. The health benefits are definitely worth it.
I'll bet! Great job and good for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

frosted wrote:I'm unfortunately a type 1 diabetic..so while I've never been able to gain any weight (really fast metabolism, eat very clean, the heaviest I have ever been was 185 pounds), I have to deal w. a different kind of diet :( and having to give yourself a shot into your stomach every time you eat anything with carbohydrates tends to curb the appetite a bit haha.

I am as well. I don't eat the cleanest and was in pretty decent shape and active most of my younger years. Now that I'm older I could stand to lose a bit(like 15 lbs as I've gained some back over the last 6 months or so after losing a decent amount).

I really don't like counting calories and being a Type 1, you pay far more attention to carbs anyways. Some people may not agree with it, but have you other guys looked at things like Paleo or Keto style diets? I dropped about 20 lbs fairly easily which is what I was looking to do last year on a keto style diet. I tried using myfitenesspal and counting calories and I really didn't lose anything more than a pound or two in the few weeks I did it last year. Switched to a keto diet and I dropped the weight I was looking to really quick.

Sites I like: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/ and http://eatingacademy.com/start-here is what got me started trying something different.
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

Crax wrote: I am as well. I don't eat the cleanest and was in pretty decent shape and active most of my younger years. Now that I'm older I could stand to lose a bit(like 15 lbs as I've gained some back over the last 6 months or so after losing a decent amount).

I really don't like counting calories and being a Type 1, you pay far more attention to carbs anyways. Some people may not agree with it, but have you other guys looked at things like Paleo or Keto style diets? I dropped about 20 lbs fairly easily which is what I was looking to do last year on a keto style diet. I tried using myfitenesspal and counting calories and I really didn't lose anything more than a pound or two in the few weeks I did it last year. Switched to a keto diet and I dropped the weight I was looking to really quick.

Sites I like: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/ and http://eatingacademy.com/start-here is what got me started trying something different.
We share a bond of sorts then, Crax, haha. Cheers!

I haven't ever had to take any weight off, but I know people who have had a lot of success doing so on Paleo diets. It makes sense, you're prohibiting the body from its main energy source (carbs), so it has to kick down to burning other macros and body fat.

Changing speeds, Crax, were you diagnosed as a Type 1 from the time you were a young child? I got hit with it at age 21, - I was down to 145 pounds (from roughly 180/85) and ended up in the ICU for four days in diabetic coma when my stubborn #### finally went it. Couldn't have been more shocked when they told me. I wasn't aware of the different (type 1 vs. type 2) types of diabetes when I was diagnosed, so my initial thought was how do I have this? I'd always been in fantastic shape, very active, involved in sports...obviously Type 1 is very different from Type 2, but I don't have to tell you that, haha.

Luckily, life goes on, and I have a background in Exercise Science, so I have a good grasp of how the body works. I've been able to control my type 1 very well - my last two A1C numbers have been 5.5 and 5.9. I just feel fortunate to live in a time when we know so much about it. Still don't like giving myself shots in the stomach all the time, but it does beat dying haha.

</endramble>

Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

frosted wrote: Changing speeds, Crax, were you diagnosed as a Type 1 from the time you were a young child? I got hit with it at age 21, - I was down to 145 pounds (from roughly 180/85) and ended up in the ICU for four days in diabetic coma when my stubborn #### finally went it. Couldn't have been more shocked when they told me. I wasn't aware of the different (type 1 vs. type 2) types of diabetes when I was diagnosed, so my initial thought was how do I have this? I'd always been in fantastic shape, very active, involved in sports...obviously Type 1 is very different from Type 2, but I don't have to tell you that, haha.

Luckily, life goes on, and I have a background in Exercise Science, so I have a good grasp of how the body works. I've been able to control my type 1 very well - my last two A1C numbers have been 5.5 and 5.9. I just feel fortunate to live in a time when we know so much about it. Still don't like giving myself shots in the stomach all the time, but it does beat dying haha.

</endramble>

I've been type 1 since I was 2, so over 30 years now. I don't really remember not having it. I do have 2 cousins that were diagnosed later, one in his 20's. Any reason you aren't on the pump? I've been on a pump for about 10 years now and do like it much better than shots as I was doing 4/5 a day pre pump. It was so much different back in the 80's with how they treat and watch things now.
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

Just not crazy about the idea of having something on my body all the time - I use flex pens with small needles so it's not terrible - I have a cousin with type 1 and she is pretty happy with her pump though.

Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

Yeah, I get that. It can be annoying a little bit of the time, but less annoying than shots and/or forgetting your shot. I pretty much never forget my pump, plus the reminders can be nice. I take it off when I'm playing sports or working out, but most of my day is sitting at a desk, so it's no big deal there.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Cliff - wow. That is amazing. Keep it up man. You probably don't realize it yet, but you can/will inspire others to do the same one day.

I myself had a vigorous weight-loss transformation. About four years ago I was 250 at 5'11". I gained a lot of weight from athletic injuries leading to inactivity and over eating to 'cope.' A lot of my weight was bad weight, but I had muscle too since I was a football player. However, one day, I just couldn't watch myself get any larger. I proceeded to cut 60 pounds from January 2011 until May 2012. I dropped down to 190.

My weight has increased slightly- but most of it is muscle mass. I am back up to a sturdy 200. I workout six days a week. I mostly incorporate old football workouts, but geared them to higher rep/intensity. Having access to a gym for 'free' (not really because it comes with student tuition lol) helps a lot with maintaining my weight. Walking to class helps a lot. My diet is pretty solid, but hasn't been strict these past six months, so I am trying to get back to eating a bit more healthy haha.

I just felt like sharing my story - I am not trying to brag/boast. My profession in which I am going into encourages healthily lifestyle as well as other health aspects - so I try my best to help others achieve their goals. Anyone has the power to change. They just need to be willing to take that first step.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Wow some incredible stuff in this thread. Congrats to all of you for putting in all the hard work.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I was 350 (in 2010) and the doctor old me lose weight or suffer greatly and probably die in 10 years or less

I walked 20 miles a week mostly in mall with old folks in morning

i drank a lot of water .. my diet was kidney beans (i liked them) salads and green beans, chicken
about 12-16 hundred calories a day

I lost 100 pounds but have not gone further.. i crept a few times to 270 ...

I wanna get below 200 but lack the motivation honestly .. I know its holding me back in job search
people assume your lazy when your out of shape..
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Cliff wrote: Sharing the story is pretty easy for me these days. My wife has lost 190lbs and she started a blog centered on our weight loss and before/after picture kind of stuff. I probably never would have shared my story on my own. I just felt like it was kind of a 'who cares' sort of situation. Sure, I've lost 300lbs so far but I had to actually gain it in the first place ... I don't know, it just always seemed like celebrating someone who stopped doing drugs. Sure, it's good that they stopped, but don't do crack in the first place. I don't know lol

Anyway, she started doing it and people seem to identify with the struggle ... the fact that I didn't do surgery and was pretty bad off seems and have still lost so much seems to be helpful to some ... I'm all for encouraging people if my story helps.
:lol:

I get what you're saying, but you DO have a lot to be proud of. Most people at that size lose the battle, ya know? At the beginning of "My 600-lb Life" it shares that those people have less than a 5% chance of having long-term success. Because every one of those people get surgery, I'm assuming they mean even with surgery, people that large are most likely to lose the battle. The fact that you were at that point and chose to change on your own is really, really inspiring. Look at you defying those odds!

Seriously, congrats on that.

Thanks for sharing the pics. You both look healthier and...happier. And because none of these jerks said it, your wife looks great!
jackal wrote: I wanna get below 200 but lack the motivation honestly .. I know its holding me back in job search
people assume your lazy when your out of shape..
Yeah, well, those people are a-holes!