Diet thread

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Diet thread

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Since January 5th, I have been using Myfitnesspal to attempt losing weight. It amazes me how many calories somethings have like frozen pizza... one Totino's pizza has almost 700 calories!!! I could down one of them with a deep breath.

Well, I am happy as hell to report... I have lost 10 pounds since!! :D :thumbsup:

I am down to 210 from my high of 220. I still have my gigantic belly (my dads side of the family only gains weight in the stomach, not anywhere else). But, there is 10 pounds less of it! 8)

Anyone else dieting or trying to lose weight? How are your diets going?
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Diet thread

Post by DK Sweets »

I realized after 8 months of heavy heavy drinking, I had ballooned from 180 to 220. I realized this in November, and by doing nothing but changing my diet I've dropped 15 pounds. I plan on working out soon, but I had a roommate in the room that had my workout stuff before, and now I'm about to move. I'll have a workout room for 4 months until my baby steals it for a nursery, so it's time to hit it hard I suppose! :)
Cliff
Site Admin

Re: Diet thread

Post by Cliff »

Congratulations!

I actually used to weigh 660lbs. I have lost 300lbs since about 2008. Though I've just recently really started upping my exercise regimen to 50 minutes 5 times a week (3 days a week of weight training/cardio mix, 2 days a week of straight cardio). At this point it's definitely more a way of life than a diet.

I am also a MyfitnessPal user and advocate and was astounded at the content of various things when I originally started tracking calories as well. I don't use it every day now that I'm more comfortable with my knowledge of calorie content overall but if I eat something new I'll do a check. I keep my weight updated so my intake adjusts. If I find myself plateauing a bit I'll start tracking more rigorously and that generally helps.

I still splurge on Totino's but I'll eat one as an entire dinner if I'm pressed for time. At this point my wife and I rarely eat at restaurants. We'll go maybe a month without going anywhere and then eat something on the nicer side when we do.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

DKSweets wrote:I realized after 8 months of heavy heavy drinking, I had ballooned from 180 to 220.
This reminds me of my favorite t-shirt, and I'm actually wearing it right now!

lol. Miss you! :D
--

And I can't tell if you're serious or not, Cliff, but good job and good luck, guys. Great idea for a thread, PMR! Glad I stopped in!
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

I have trouble gaining weight actually.....but I am on a specific diet also.

No sugar, natural or processed and avoiding starches and nuts and seeds. I'm really cutting out foods that are high in phytic acid which plays a big role in blocking mineral absorption.

Basically a meat and dark green diet with lots of micronutirent supplements. Lots of fish and coconut oil. Bone broths is another thing I'm getting into. They take a while to make but are super important for overall health. Cultured butter is another little goodie.

With all the processed food these days we don't get enough essential fatty acids and oils in our system that are vital to overall health and metabolic balance.

Basically we seem to eat more because there is less nutrition in our food.

Anyway, diets take discipline and commitment. Good job on all of you who are getting on track.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Funkytown wrote: This reminds me of my favorite t-shirt, and I'm actually wearing it right now!

--

And I can't tell if you're serious or not, Cliff, but good job and good luck, guys. Great idea for a thread, PMR! Glad I stopped in!
I am serious, yes. I was 450lbs by the time I graduated high school and ballooned up to 660lbs once I moved out on my own and was doing my own food shopping. Finally decided to do something about it after a medical scare and haven't really looked back.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Good for you Cliff! Im impressed!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Cliff wrote:
I am serious, yes. I was 450lbs by the time I graduated high school and ballooned up to 660lbs once I moved out on my own and was doing my own food shopping. Finally decided to do something about it after a medical scare and haven't really looked back.
Excellent. I'm obsessed with weight-loss shows. Are you familiar with "My 600-lb Life" on TLC? That's my jam right there. So is The Biggest Loser. I love all of the success stories, people becoming healthy and happy...some for the first time in their lives. Yes, it makes me cry...a lot. Don't judge me. lol. :oops:

Did you get surgery to help? None of my business, I guess, so you don't have to answer. I just know a lot of people choose that route to help them along. Surgery or no surgery, I know from many years of TV research, :), that it is incredibly challenging to lose the weight and keep it off. It's always way more than a weight issue, not to mention the challenges that follow the actual weight loss. ...but I won't talk all day about it, I just want to say that I understand and wish you the best.

Also, it's pretty admirable that you shared your story. Thank you. Great job so far and...good luck, really.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Funkytown wrote: Excellent. I'm obsessed with weight-loss shows. Are you familiar with "My 600-lb Life" on TLC? That's my jam right there. So is The Biggest Loser. I love all of the success stories, people becoming healthy and happy...some for the first time in their lives. Yes, it makes me cry...a lot. Don't judge me. lol. :oops:

Did you get surgery to help? None of my business, I guess, so you don't have to answer. I just know a lot of people choose that route to help them along. Surgery or no surgery, I know from many years of TV research, :), that it is incredibly challenging to lose the weight and keep it off. It's always way more than a weight issue, not to mention the challenges that follow the actual weight loss. ...but I won't talk all day about it, I just want to say that I understand and wish you the best.

Also, it's pretty admirable that you shared your story. Thank you. Great job so far and...good luck, really.
You're welcome and thank you too!

I've seen a show or two but it's not really the same for me. Even though I was 660lbs I have a pretty big frame and I've always been able to get around pretty well even at my largest. Obviously not running and doing sports but I was far from bedridden. I was likely pretty lucky, actually. No diabetes, no heart problems, no knee trouble (yet) ... I started turning it around in my mid-20s so perhaps that has to do with it.

No weight loss surgery. I don't frown on people who choose to get the surgery, but it never made sense to me. Of course I did consider it, but it seemed like forced bulimia. It doesn't necessarily make you eat properly ... it just forces you to throw up if you go overboard, basically. I figured it made more sense to just eat less, move more, and avoid surgery.

Calorie counting and exercise is what I've been doing. I lost my first 50lbs just stopping drinking soda without any other modification to my diet. I can drink *a lot* in one sitting.

I'm just now starting to look at nutrition beyond how many calories I take in, really. For a while it was just about losing the weight and I wasn't willing to completely give up all the stuff that led to me being that large in the first place. I kind of had to ween off. I'd basically eat whatever I wanted as long as it was within my calories. I know that's not the best weight loss for most people, but when you weigh that much you just have to start somewhere.

Sharing the story is pretty easy for me these days. My wife has lost 190lbs and she started a blog centered on our weight loss and before/after picture kind of stuff. I probably never would have shared my story on my own. I just felt like it was kind of a 'who cares' sort of situation. Sure, I've lost 300lbs so far but I had to actually gain it in the first place ... I don't know, it just always seemed like celebrating someone who stopped doing drugs. Sure, it's good that they stopped, but don't do crack in the first place. I don't know lol

Anyway, she started doing it and people seem to identify with the struggle ... the fact that I didn't do surgery and was pretty bad off seems and have still lost so much seems to be helpful to some ... I'm all for encouraging people if my story helps.
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

I'm unfortunately a type 1 diabetic..so while I've never been able to gain any weight (really fast metabolism, eat very clean, the heaviest I have ever been was 185 pounds), I have to deal w. a different kind of diet :( and having to give yourself a shot into your stomach every time you eat anything with carbohydrates tends to curb the appetite a bit haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Funkytown wrote: This reminds me of my favorite t-shirt, and I'm actually wearing it right now!

--

Haha nice. It's great to hear from you!
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Cliff wrote: You're welcome and thank you too!

I've seen a show or two but it's not really the same for me. Even though I was 660lbs I have a pretty big frame and I've always been able to get around pretty well even at my largest. Obviously not running and doing sports but I was far from bedridden. I was likely pretty lucky, actually. No diabetes, no heart problems, no knee trouble (yet) ... I started turning it around in my mid-20s so perhaps that has to do with it.

No weight loss surgery. I don't frown on people who choose to get the surgery, but it never made sense to me. Of course I did consider it, but it seemed like forced bulimia. It doesn't necessarily make you eat properly ... it just forces you to throw up if you go overboard, basically. I figured it made more sense to just eat less, move more, and avoid surgery.

Calorie counting and exercise is what I've been doing. I lost my first 50lbs just stopping drinking soda without any other modification to my diet. I can drink *a lot* in one sitting.

I'm just now starting to look at nutrition beyond how many calories I take in, really. For a while it was just about losing the weight and I wasn't willing to completely give up all the stuff that led to me being that large in the first place. I kind of had to ween off. I'd basically eat whatever I wanted as long as it was within my calories. I know that's not the best weight loss for most people, but when you weigh that much you just have to start somewhere.

Sharing the story is pretty easy for me these days. My wife has lost 190lbs and she started a blog centered on our weight loss and before/after picture kind of stuff. I probably never would have shared my story on my own. I just felt like it was kind of a 'who cares' sort of situation. Sure, I've lost 300lbs so far but I had to actually gain it in the first place ... I don't know, it just always seemed like celebrating someone who stopped doing drugs. Sure, it's good that they stopped, but don't do crack in the first place. I don't know lol

Anyway, she started doing it and people seem to identify with the struggle ... the fact that I didn't do surgery and was pretty bad off seems and have still lost so much seems to be helpful to some ... I'm all for encouraging people if my story helps.
Cliff! Your story is really inspiring. :thumbsup:

Have you seen this movie? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1227378/

I guess there is a sequel now also. Very cool flick and the guy who made it is a great resource for nutritional info and motivation.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

The Breeze wrote: Cliff! Your story is really inspiring. :thumbsup:

Have you seen this movie? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1227378/

I guess there is a sequel now also. Very cool flick and the guy who made it is a great resource for nutritional info and motivation.
I have seen the movie and it was pretty good. I'll have to check him out in regards to nutritional info. Obviously there was a lot in the movie but I hadn't checked him out otherwise.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Figure since I've gone this far might as well show some pics. The first one is us before ... about 2008 some time. The second is us a couple months ago after seeing Mathew Morrison (my wife is a huge Glee fan). I've still got a good 100-130lbs that I'm looking to lose and she's losing about another 60.

The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Amazing! What a transformation.....keep it up man :thumbsup: