Vikings draft order: week 16

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Vikings draft order: week 16

Post by dead_poet »

Vikings NFL Draft Order: Week 16

http://blog.startribune.com/sports/acce ... er-week-16
If the Vikings lose: They’d pick no worse than 16th heading into the season finale next week against the Bears. That could drop even lower depending on how Week 16 plays out.

If the Vikings win: It gets a little tricky. With one game separating the Falcons, who hold the No. 7 right now, and the Rams, who have the 12th pick, it’s difficult to predict what would be the Vikings’ best pick scenario. What is certain though is if the Vikings win and the Falcons, Giants, Bears and Panthers all lose (which is certainly possible), the Vikings will not have a shot at a top 10 pick.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Cliff
Site Admin

Re: Vikings draft order: week 16

Post by Cliff »

dead_poet wrote:Vikings NFL Draft Order: Week 16

http://blog.startribune.com/sports/acce ... er-week-16
Meh ... those top-middle 1st round picks and middle-round picks have about the same chance at producing good players, don't they?
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Cliff wrote: Meh ... those top-middle 1st round picks and middle-round picks have about the same chance at producing good players, don't they?
I don't have the numbers but from the most recent drafts there are studs, duds and guys in between in the 5-10 and 10-20 range. There's obviously no guarantee, but I'd still rather be picking higher for potentially more available options. The guys I'm most excited about seem to be in the top-13 so far, but it's still very early in the process.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Silver lining from today's mess? The right teams won/ lost to maximize our draft spot. Crappy consolation prize, I know... but I have one eye on next season already.
Here are Sunday's games to watch and how the outcomes will impact the Vikings' draft position with just two weeks left.

Vikings (6-8) at Dolphins (7-7)
Vikings win: The Vikings would move into the 7-win category that could include picks No. 11 through No. 16 after this week is in the books.
or
Dolphins win: The Vikings would crack the top-10 and could select as low as No. 7, which is the earliest possible pick they could reach in 2015.

Giants (5-9) at Rams (6-8)
Giants win: Paired with a Vikings' loss, a Giants' win would put the Vikings in the top 10 heading into Week 17.
or
Rams win: This would cement the Giants in that 7-9 pick range, giving the Vikings less hope to move up into the top 10.

Browns (7-7) at Panthers (5-8-1)
Browns win: If you want the Vikings to win AND get a good draft pick, cheer for the Browns and Houston Texans, as both currently hold the SOS tiebreaker over the Vikings. Meaning if the Vikings win, and Browns and/or Texans lose, the Vikings will fall back to about No. 14 in the draft order. It's possible the Vikings beat the Dolphins and remain at No. 11 or No. 12, but only if the Texans and Browns both win.
or
Panthers win: If you want the better draft pick, you want the Panthers to win Panthers win. A Carolina win and Vikings' loss would move the Vikings up to pick No. 10 and possibly even better if the Bears, Giants or Falcons somehow win.

Falcons (5-9) at Saints (6-8)
Falcons win: This terrible division will have one of the three: Falcons, Saints or Panthers, that will jump up to at least the No. 21 pick by making the playoffs. If you're cheering for the Vikings' draft position, you want the Atlanta Falcons in the playoffs and that either starts or ends with the outcome of this game on Sunday. The Vikings will win any tiebreaker with the Saints by virtue of having a worse schedule this year, but they're (.482) just about even with Atlanta (.495).
or
Saints win: Just like a Rams win, this would all but cement the Falcons in that 7-9 range, solidifying the Vikings in that 10-15 range, regardless of a Vikings' win or loss.
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

if we lose and the falcons beat the panthers this weekend, we would jump up to the #7 pick in the draft