April 23, 2005: What scouts were saying about Aaron Rodgers

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

April 23, 2005: What scouts were saying about Aaron Rodgers

Post by Mothman »

I stumbled across this today and I thought it was really interesting:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/203116571.html

I'm posting it here because it's basically about pre-draft scouting an analysis. I'm sure there were scouts saying much more positive things about Rodgers as a prospect too but nevertheless, this is interesting.

What NFL scouts told the Journal Sentinel's Bob McGinn before the draft about quarterback Aaron Rodgers:
Marc Ross, Buffalo: "He's a little short. The thing you worry about is those (Jeff) Tedford guys. They don't do anything for a couple years and then they have a good year or two. Who of his quarterbacks has done what they're supposed to do? None of them. Is he just working magic with great college quarterbacks or just manufacturing guys?"

AFC scout: "I like him. He's a very talented guy. A lot of quarterbacks that were system people have not done very well. That puts up a red flag. Not that he is one of them. He could be an exception. But I can't get it out of my craw."

Rich Snead, Tennessee: "I like him. I just don't know if he's maxed out. He's more accurate than (Kyle) Boller but probably not as athletic. He's a better player than Akili Smith. He's more athletic than (Trent) Dilfer was. He's a little more mobile than Joey Harrington. He had to go to a JC because no one would recruit him because they said he was too small. He's been busting his (expletive) his whole life to get to this point. I just don't know how much more he has to give."

NFC scout: "(Alex) Smith is the better athlete."

AFC scout: "I think he has some upside although there are some things that are just ordinary about him."

Jerry Angelo, Chicago: "I'd give Rodgers the edge (over Smith) just because he was easier to evaluate. And there's a little more arm. But the edge is negligible."

NFC scout: "I think he has a good chance of being a bust. Just like every other Tedford-coached quarterback. Thing I struggle with him is he gets sacked a lot. He doesn't have great ability to change the release of the football. He's mechanically very rigid. Brett Favre can change his release point and find different windows. There will be more growing pains with Alex Smith but in the end he has a much better chance to be much better."
There's more at the link.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: April 23, 2005: What scouts were saying about Aaron Rodg

Post by Texas Vike »

Mothman wrote:I stumbled across this today and I thought it was really interesting:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/203116571.html

I'm posting it here because it's basically about pre-draft scouting an analysis. I'm sure there were scouts saying much more positive things about Rodgers as a prospect too but nevertheless, this is interesting.

What NFL scouts told the Journal Sentinel's Bob McGinn before the draft about quarterback Aaron Rodgers:
There's more at the link.

Interesting to read. I loved this quote:
He's been busting his (expletive) his whole life to get to this point. I just don't know how much more he has to give."
Someone sure read Rodger's heart wrong! That's what I love about the draft--it illustrates the difficulty of "reading" another individual and predicting some of these interior / character traits like determination, will to win, will to succeed, etc.