Final Four Announced

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Final Four Announced

Post by PurpleMustReign »

1. Alabama
2. Oregon
3. Florida State
4. Ohio State

I personally thing one of the teams from Texas should have been in (TCU or Baylor) over OSU, but the Buckeyes have been very impressive lately.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Final Four Announced

Post by Mothman »

PurpleMustReign wrote:1. Alabama
2. Oregon
3. Florida State
4. Ohio State

I personally thing one of the teams from Texas should have been in (TCU or Baylor) over OSU, but the Buckeyes have been very impressive lately.
I think they earned their spot, particularly with their road win over Michigan State and their absolute domination of Wisconsin on Saturday, despite having to start their 3rd string QB. They've been playing like one of the very best teams in the country so I thought they deserved their shot. Heck, they're playing so well right now that I think if they played Alabama next week, they'd have a legitimate chance to beat them. However, sometimes momentum dissipates a little between the end of the season and a Bowl game.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Mothman wrote: I think they earned their spot, particularly with their road win over Michigan State and their absolute domination of Wisconsin on Saturday, despite having to start their 3rd string QB. They've been playing like one of the very best teams in the country so I thought they deserved their shot. Heck, they're playing so well right now that I think if they played Alabama next week, they'd have a legitimate chance to beat them. However, sometimes momentum dissipates a little between the end of the season and a Bowl game.
I think both Baylor and TCU would beat OSU on a neutral field. The Big 12 has to get a championship game--one of them ought to be in the playoff this year. I grew up watching Big 10 ball and now watch more Big 12 ball, and the latter is currently a stronger division IMO. TCU handled UMN w/ ease.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:I think both Baylor and TCU would beat OSU on a neutral field.

I actually feel the opposite, which makes me wonder how much our opinions are shaped by our environments, given that you live in Big 12 country and I live in the middle of Big 10 territory. :) Statistically, the 3 teams are pretty similar. I imagine a head-to-head matchup between OSU and either Baylor or TCU could either way on a neutral field.

It was inevitable that some worthy teams would be left out of the final 4 and it's going to be like this every year. I wonder how they could improve it.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Mothman wrote:

I actually feel the opposite, which makes me wonder how much our opinions are shaped by our environments, given that you live in Big 12 country and I live in the middle of Big 10 territory. :) Statistically, the 3 teams are pretty similar. I imagine a head-to-head matchup between OSU and either Baylor or TCU could either way on a neutral field.

It was inevitable that some worthy teams would be left out of the final 4 and it's going to be like this every year. I wonder how they could improve it.

Wisconsin just rolled over in that last game. OSU is always overrated, just like the big names in the Big 12 are (I'm a Longhorn, but I recognize that UT gets all kinds of advantages... ex-coach Mack Brown has even said as much). If the Big 12 had played a conference championship between TCU and BU the winner would have been chosen as the fourth team. As it played out, OSU's blowout win helped the committee dodge the awkwardness of choosing between TCU and BU.

The only common opponent for TCU and OSU was UMN. TCU beat them by 23, OSU barely won. TCU only loss was to Baylor, by 3 on the last play of the game. OSU lost to ??? Virginia Tech?
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

Texas Vike wrote:
Wisconsin just rolled over in that last game. OSU is always overrated, just like the big names in the Big 12 are (I'm a Longhorn, but I recognize that UT gets all kinds of advantages... ex-coach Mack Brown has even said as much). If the Big 12 had played a conference championship between TCU and BU the winner would have been chosen as the fourth team. As it played out, OSU's blowout win helped the committee dodge the awkwardness of choosing between TCU and BU.

The only common opponent for TCU and OSU was UMN. TCU beat them by 23, OSU barely won. TCU only loss was to Baylor, by 3 on the last play of the game. OSU lost to ??? Virginia Tech?
This is the problem I have with comparing 'resumes'. Wisconsin lost 24-28 to LSU. Close game - LSU lost to Alabama only 20-13, the best team in the land, real close and decided in OT. OSU beat Wisco 59-0. So what does that tell us about OSU? Baylor lost to WVU. TCU barely beat WVU..You can spin things any way you want to. There are way too many variables involved to start trying to say, so and so beat this team, and so and so lost here, so so and so is better than so and so.

If you really want to get into the statistical measure of it, by strength of schedule, Ohio State was 45th, TCU was 53rd, and Baylor was 59th. The schools do this to themselves - they have to start scheduling legitimate non-conference games, playing cupcakes only hurts them.

It's too bad that J.T. Barrett got hurt. I suspect Alabama will win by 10 or more. I don't know that TCU or Baylor would perform any better, but that's just my thought.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

frosted wrote:This is the problem I have with comparing 'resumes'. Wisconsin lost 24-28 to LSU. Close game - LSU lost to Alabama only 20-13, the best team in the land, real close and decided in OT. OSU beat Wisco 59-0. So what does that tell us about OSU? Baylor lost to WVU. TCU barely beat WVU..You can spin things any way you want to. There are way too many variables involved to start trying to say, so and so beat this team, and so and so lost here, so so and so is better than so and so.
Agreed. On any given Saturday...
If you really want to get into the statistical measure of it, by strength of schedule, Ohio State was 45th, TCU was 53rd, and Baylor was 59th. The schools do this to themselves - they have to start scheduling legitimate non-conference games, playing cupcakes only hurts them.
Well said.
It's too bad that J.T. Barrett got hurt. I suspect Alabama will win by 10 or more. I don't know that TCU or Baylor would perform any better, but that's just my thought.
It's definitely too bad that Barrett got hurt.

TexasVike, OSU's blowout win over Wisconsin definitely helped the committee dodge the awkwardness of choosing between TCU and Baylor but I think it also asserted OSU as a very viable candidate and their convincing win over #8 Michigan State a few weeks earlier did likewise. I think all 3 teams have a great case and that's the problem with a 4 team "playoff". Someone is going to get boxed out every season. Baylor will play Michigan State in the Cotton Bowl on New Year's so at least that will give us an interesting matchup between two of the better teams from the Big 12 and Big 10.

Heck, I'm just grateful that they didn't simply put 3 SEC teams into the final four and a token team from another conference, just to keep up appearances. :) I get tired of hearing hype about the SEC.
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

Mothman wrote:I get tired of hearing hype about the SEC.
AMEN! Haha. I get it, I do. The SEC is clearly an elite conference in terms of talent. The top high school football players in the nation are generally coming from that region, and more often than not, they take that talent to schools like Alabama, LSU, Auburn, etc. The SEC West is stacked. That said, the difference is over-stated.

I don't see it happening, but it would give me great satisfaction if Ohio State could somehow knock Alabama off..
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

frosted wrote: AMEN! Haha. I get it, I do. The SEC is clearly an elite conference in terms of talent. The top high school football players in the nation are generally coming from that region, and more often than not, they take that talent to schools like Alabama, LSU, Auburn, etc. The SEC West is stacked. That said, the difference is over-stated.

I don't see it happening, but it would give me great satisfaction if Ohio State could somehow knock Alabama off..

Ditto. That would make me very happy.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

The SEC is so far ahead of every other conference, although the Pac-12 is slowly becoming a force of its own.
I love SEC football. Seeing Alabama play LSU or Georgia play Florida males college football very dfun for me.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

PurpleMustReign wrote:The SEC is so far ahead of every other conference, although the Pac-12 is slowly becoming a force of its own.
I love SEC football. Seeing Alabama play LSU or Georgia play Florida males college football very dfun for me.

I'd hate to see them play the Florida FEMALES. :rofl:

Just giving you a hard time.

I think the SEC is the best conference, but I agree with others that the difference isn't as big as folks think. I wish there were more non conference games between the "power 5".

I am eager to see how Oregon does against FSU. I think Bama will blow OSU out. Perhaps OSU will prove me wrong, but as of today I don't expect them to keep it within 14 points.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

frosted wrote: This is the problem I have with comparing 'resumes'. Wisconsin lost 24-28 to LSU. Close game - LSU lost to Alabama only 20-13, the best team in the land, real close and decided in OT. OSU beat Wisco 59-0. So what does that tell us about OSU? Baylor lost to WVU. TCU barely beat WVU..You can spin things any way you want to. There are way too many variables involved to start trying to say, so and so beat this team, and so and so lost here, so so and so is better than so and so.
Welcome to college FB! They HAVE to consider these types of things because it's an imperfect system. OSU was fortunate w/ the TCU-Baylor situation, otherwise they wouldn't have jumped from 6 to 4, leapfrogging both TCU and Baylor in the last week solely because of their win over Wisc.
frosted wrote: If you really want to get into the statistical measure of it, by strength of schedule, Ohio State was 45th, TCU was 53rd, and Baylor was 59th. The schools do this to themselves - they have to start scheduling legitimate non-conference games, playing cupcakes only hurts them.

Is Barrett for sure out for this game? It's still a ways off. Either way I think it's Bama by a long shot. I agree that TCU and Baylor would have had a hard time with Bama too.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Texas Vike wrote:
I'd hate to see them play the Florida FEMALES. :rofl:

Just giving you a hard time.

I think the SEC is the best conference, but I agree with others that the difference isn't as big as folks think. I wish there were more non conference games between the "power 5".

I am eager to see how Oregon does against FSU. I think Bama will blow OSU out. Perhaps OSU will prove me wrong, but as of today I don't expect them to keep it within 14 points.
Lol, i had to read it a few times to figure out what i meant to type.

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

TCU made a statement today. So much for the idea that the Big 12 doesn't play D.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Looking forward to today's games, especially to see how the Big 10 and Big 12 match up in the Baylor vs. Mich. St. game. Then, of course, the final four.

My picks: Baylor, Oregon, Bama. All the favorites, so I'm probably wrong on at least one!

I'll be watching Melvin Gordon for Wisconsin too.