Standout College players 2014

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Standout College players 2014

Post by Texas Vike »

Those of you that watch CFB, what players are standing out to you? I like getting observations from people around the country who may be better aware of local players.

I watch a fair bit of Big 12 FB, and a lot of TCU's players stand out to me. Trevone Boykin is a heck of a QB. He's got an accurate long ball, runs great when he needs to, is quite good at reading the field and making good decisions. I think he's a junior, so he may not be out for the draft this year.

Other guys: WRs Listenbee and Doctson (6' 4") are very talented.

LB Paul Dawson is impressive.

Anyone in the Big 10, SEC, Pac 10 or other conferences catching your eye?
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: Standout College players 2014

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Gurley did before his suspension...

I am really impressed with Dak Prescott. He could be a stud in the NFL if he keeps improving like he has.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Most of the people around here are SEC fans so i get to watch some of their games during get togethers but I dont usually pay close attention early in the year.

MLB AJ Johnson from Tennessee looked impressive in the bits I saw.
WR Amari Cooper of 'bama looks great.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Texas Vike wrote:Those of you that watch CFB, what players are standing out to you? I like getting observations from people around the country who may be better aware of local players.

I watch a fair bit of Big 12 FB, and a lot of TCU's players stand out to me. Trevone Boykin is a heck of a QB.
Boykin just keeps getting better. This week: 433 yards and 7 TDs.
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

Texas Vike wrote: Boykin just keeps getting better. This week: 433 yards and 7 TDs.
does anyone know if Trevone is related to Brandon or Jarrett Boykin? Seem to be a lot of Boykin's coming up, both Jarrett and Brandon have found some success in the NFL, but I can't find any relation between them when I looked into it.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

saint33 wrote: does anyone know if Trevone is related to Brandon or Jarrett Boykin? Seem to be a lot of Boykin's coming up, both Jarrett and Brandon have found some success in the NFL, but I can't find any relation between them when I looked into it.
Doesn't look like it:

Trevone is from Mesquite, TX. Jarrett is from Chattanooga, TN. Brandon is from Georgia.
Beo
Backup

Post by Beo »

I am an Iowa fan and cant say enough about Brandon Scherff but the one guy I have seen in a couple of games that just jumps off the screen is DE Alvin Dupree of Kentucky. He is everywhere and constantly causing havoc in other teams backfield. I have seen him mocked in 2nd and 3rd rounds but this kid has got it.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Some of the season awards are narrowing down their finalists; lots of good draft prospects to keep an eye on during the final weeks of the CFB season and the bowl games:
http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/i ... -finalists
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

WR Tyler Lockett from Kansas St. is a heck of a player. He's only 5-11, 175, but he catches everything.
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

Texas Vike wrote:WR Tyler Lockett from Kansas St. is a heck of a player. He's only 5-11, 175, but he catches everything.
Yes, Kevin Lockett's son is great. Broke some of his dads records there at KSU.
I don't think that Cooper will last until the Vikings pick, somewhere around 10 as it stands. There are a bunch of good wide outs again in this draft so the Vikings could do well at that position in the later rounds. Need to upgrade the O-line and LB positions. I will be honing in on those players as the months go by.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

CbusVikesFan wrote: Yes, Kevin Lockett's son is great. Broke some of his dads records there at KSU.
I don't think that Cooper will last until the Vikings pick, somewhere around 10 as it stands. There are a bunch of good wide outs again in this draft so the Vikings could do well at that position in the later rounds. Need to upgrade the O-line and LB positions. I will be honing in on those players as the months go by.

That's exactly what I'm thinking. We need WR, and Cooper would be great, but there's good depth again this year. I'd like one in the 2nd or 3rd. Lockett is undersized a bit, so he may slip... but he's very talented and I think he'll be solid in the NFL. Great work ethic too.