This Week's Enemy Fan Forums: The Green Bay Packers

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

frosted
Career Elite Player

This Week's Enemy Fan Forums: The Green Bay Packers

Post by frosted »

Let me embrace thee, sour adversity, for wise men say it is the wisest course.
- William Shakespeare

Viking Stat Box: Offense

Code: Select all

309.1 Total Yards/Game (30th in NFL)
192.1 Passing Yards/Game (29th in NFL)
117.0 Rushing Yards/Game (12th in NFL)
18.1 Points/Game (28th in NFL)
Viking Stat Box: Defense

Code: Select all

340.5 Total Yards/Game (12th in NFL)
225.2 Passing Yards/Game (8th in NFL)
115.3 Rushing Yards/Game (21st in NFL)
22.0 Points/Game (14th in NFL)
Random thoughts/observations:

* Where to begin? Sunday was a tough pill to swallow.

* The biggest letdown for me was the pass rush - we came into the game 3rd in the NFL in sacks (30) and we didn't even get 1. That was a huge factor in allowing Chicago to convert 10/17 3rd downs (and 2/3 4th downs). We were thisclose on a number of occasions, and we even forced a hurried throw and interception at one point, but mostly, we were just one step late.

* That Jay Cutler 'incompletion" on the first Chicago possession - amateur hour. "Minnesota is challenging whether the runner was down by contact"...d'okay! No harm, no foul.

* Anthony Barr did not play well at all. I recall two missed tackles early on, that could have stopped the Bears offense on third down(s). He needs to step it up this week.

* Josh Robinson was out-played. I'll leave it at that.

* For as poor as Josh was, Xavier Rhodes played a great game, I thought, both in coverage and in run support. He surprises me every week with how physical he is with opposing ball carriers. He can bring it. Congrats to him on his first career interception as well.

* I felt that Bob Blanton was responsible for Marshall's long touchdown catch. Unacceptable.

* Shariff Floyd is a stud. He's becoming a truly impactful player on the interior of our defensive line.

* I've been disappointed that we haven't seen much of Gerald Hodges the last few weeks since Greenway has been back from his injury. I thought he was doing an awesome job playing alongside Barr in base and nickel.

* Harrison Smith's interception was a product of a ton of pressure, and Cutler throwing off his backfoot - one of the few times when our pressure actually yielded a positive result for the defense. It was a brilliantly designed zone blitz. Captain and Barr blitzed, Brian Robison dropped into coverage, and Jay threw it right to Harry. I love when defense works the way it's drawn up.

* I don't even like to talk about the offense here, because it makes me think about the offense, and that makes me want to throw up. It's pretty brutal right now. It's all about the offensive (offensively offensive) line. They are simply getting their tails whipped week in and week out. When the defense is able to get pressure on Ted with only their front four, without blitzing, it's a huge problem. It makes it tough for our skill players to get open, since there are seven guys in coverage, and in turn, results in failure. This offense is not going anywhere on a consistent basis with the way the offensive line is playing. That's the bottom line.

This Week

BORDER BATTLE. The Peckers are playing at an extremely high level right now. Their offense is on a roll, their defense is on a roll, and they even had a punt return for a TD last week against Philly. They're a dangerous football team, and I wouldn't be surprised if they make their way to the Super Bowl this year. All that said, #### the Peckers. I can't stand losing to them, even though it's become a trend for our Vikes lately. I truly hope the Vikings put an emphasis on playing extremely physically this week. I want to see us inflict some pain on those guys. One thing working in our favor, the Peckers haven't been as good on the road. I tend to believe this game will be closer than a lot of people are thinking, but I still don't think we have the horses to stick with the Peckers for four quarters, especially without that Peterson guy. Green Bay is 9th in the NFL in total offense/game (8th in passing, 18th in rushing) and they average 33 points/game, which is tops in the NFL. Defensively, they are 25th in total yards allowed/game (13th in passing, 29th in rushing) and they allow 22.5 points/game (17th). I think we'd be wise to try to establish a running game with McKinnon, and help Ted out by moving the pocket on passing plays, and allowing him to get the ball out quickly.

Key Players to Contain - Packers Offense

* Aaron Rodgers (QB): He's the best in the NFL at what he does, and honestly, it's not even close. Say what you will about Peyton Manning, but Rodgers is the premier QB in the NFL, and will be for the near future. I think Andy Luck has a chance to be what Rodgers is right now (someday), but there's really no one that can touch him as of today. What can we do to try to slow him down? Well, pressuring him is a start, but it can't just be pressure, we have to sack him - hard and often. Furthermore, we have to do it with our defensive line. Blitzing him can be very risky, especially if the blitz fails to get to him quickly.

* Jordy Nelson/Randall Cobb (WR): They are both blue chip football players. They've made fools of plenty of defensive backs this season. We need Xavier to play HUGE this week. Hopefully Josh and Captain can at least hold their own, but I'm not holding my breath on that one. Cobb is lightning quick - like Percy Harvin quick. Nelson gets behind someone every week. He's such a smooth athlete. They're impressive to say the least. By the way, rookie Davante Adams is playing well too, and we'll be seeing a lot of him as well.

* Eddie Lacy (HB): If Shawn Lynch is 'Beast Mode', and Chris Ivory is 'Beast East', then 'Beast Midwest' resides in Green Bay. He ran all over us the last time we played Green Bay. It's tough, because we have to sit in nickel quite a bit, to compensate for Brinkley's weaknesses in coverage (and Green Bay's high-powered passing attack) - as a result, Lacy gets to run against our nickel defense, which is pretty sick, Chubs. We need to tackle well. Period. He'll get us in the passing game too, if we're not accounting for him out of the backfield.

Key Players to Neutralize - Packers Defense

* Julius Peppers (LB): This old dude is playing some good football right now. He's as freaky athletic as they come, and unfortunately we learned that first hand on his pick six in Lambeau when we played earlier this season.

* Clay Matthews (LB): Fabio is playing some MIKE lately, and it seems like it's helping the Packers run defense, which had been horrid, and their one true weakness. If anything, his lining up inside is troubling, in that it adds another wrinkle to pre-snap reads for Ted.

* Sam Shields (CB): It's probably wise to be aware of where he is at on the field, he's quite good. He'll probably be the fastest player on the field Sunday, and from what I have seen of him (admittedly, not a lot, I recall him being pretty awesome in week one against Seattle), he's been fairly impressive.

Here are the enemy fan forums for this week:

Packer Fan Forum

https://www.packerforum.com/forums/packer-fan-forum.20/

Pro Sports Daily: Green Bay Packers

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/forumd ... ay-Packers

Packer Chatters

http://forum.packerchatters.com/index.php

Football's Future

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/v ... m.php?f=17

Times Four

http://packers.timesfour.com/forums

Packer Rats

http://packerrats.com/forumdisplay.php? ... 3dfaf63ece

What they're saying:
Having delt Minn a lose already, watching a bottom feeder bears team tear the queens a new one..... I think we will be just as fine as wine. Bridgewater is mobile, but I think having the claymaker in his new role can help with that aspect and bridgewater is still making rookie mistakes and throws he should not. No way in frozen hell does Minn put up a fight.

Even on their turf:

Packers - 37
vikeQueens - 13
Even if AP comes back (Hopefully he won't) I think we will sink the Vikings ship.

Packers: 439
Vikings: 3
I don't think AP will play against us even if reinstated this week, which I doubt. This should be an easy win. I don't even see it as a trap game. The Vikings are just bad and they screwed up royally by starting Teddy Bridgewater too soon. According to MN sportswriters, he has now taken a few steps backward. That's what happens when you see if rookies will sink or swim. Often times they sink, and now the Vikings stink.

I'm not sure if 439-3 is optimistic enough.
No way the Packers lose this one. Games over before halftime as Rodgers pads his stats for the MVP voting
One thing frightens me about this game... our special teams.

The specials teams have been pretty good so far this year by Slocum standards... but the past two weeks starting to look like the special teams of years past. The only way we lose to the Vikes is if special teams totally kill us.
No game in the NFL is a guaranteed win. I think a lot of Broncos fans at this time last week figured they would score more than 7 points and win against the Rams. It happens a lot. (Let's not get into the KC game during our undefeated year)

The game is on the road and Minnesota, who appears will not be playing in the post season, need something from this year and this game is a big one for them. I'm sure Bridgewater wants his first "huge" win/upset.

With that being said, I'm confident and I think the team should be confident, but don't ever overlook any team, especially one that has something to prove and a division opponent. With that being said, I do think we go out, take care of business and celebrate thanksgiving with an 8-3 record (and maybe even in 1st place if Detroit doesn't win in Foxboro)

Packers: 34
Vikings: 17

(Game is on the road and minnesota gets a garbage TD? This score is actually hard to predict, I don't know why)
The NFL did the right thing with Peterson.
We're 2 and 3 on the road, easily could be 1 and 4. Vikes have a decent defense. If the home team shows up we win easily; if it's the road team it'll be a dogfight. I think MM has turned the team, and Rogers likes domes.

Packers 34
Yikes 17
Greg Jennings, Cordarrelle Patterson, and Julius Peppers have something in common.
They all have 2 TDs this season.

then I looked up the numbers and Cordoroy doesn't even have 2, he's got 1.
GPG!
So Jennings is now overshadowed by a mediocre QB instead of a great QB? I guess he got his wish.
I like Jennings. He was great here, a good team mate, and more importantly...the Vikings are the ones paying for his prior glory in Green Bay while he gives them next to nothing and eats up cap space. Way to go, Gerg!

Can't wait for when AJ Hawk is starting for the Vikes at LBer
I see Zimmer had some choice words for the clock operator in Chicago. Play clock problems as the Vikings took over on their final drive. He seems to feel it indirectly led to Bridewaters game killing pick.

Only took 10 weeks for Zimmer to become fully immersed in Viking behavior.
This has the potential to be a trap game for the Packers:

Packers are coming off a big win over the Eagles
It's the week before a big game with the Patriots
The Packers have already handily beaten the Vikings this year

On the other hand, the Vikings just aren't very good. All of their wins are against teams with losing records. There is no logical reason the Vikings should be able to beat the Packers this week.
The Bears...THE BEARS...just beat the Vikings. The only thing that could potentially hamper Green Bay in this one is the weather...and even that won't be near enough to cause heartburn against the Vikings. The Packers have the chance to move up into the #2 spot in the conference with Detroit having to travel to NE. You have to expect a heavy contingent of Packer fans will make the trip over to MN...because Vikings fans will happily unload their tickets looking at the forecast.

Rarely have the Packers experienced a letdown against a division opponent under McCarthy. That is one area he established as a focus from day one, and he's been extremely effective against division foes.
Vikings have a good pass rush. If they are fired up (which they usually are at home against GB) then I think this is one of those proverbial games where you throw out their records and all that. It will be a close game.
Zim-man can't make the DB's taller and Tinyhands cant heave it like Rodgers, Packers win in a laugher
It's always the games I'm sure we'll win that end up as nailbiters, and the games I'm sure will be close (like the eagles) where we just massacre them.

I'm going 27-17 GB
Rodgers: 687
Packers: 52
Vikings: 1
Do not forget this ...

1/24/2010. Never forget.
Break a Packer fan's nose this week if you get the chance fellas!

Go Vikes!
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Re: This Week's Enemy Fan Forums: The Green Bay Packers

Post by Laserman »

The packers offense is running on High Octane right now. Our Offense can't get out of the garage. This game is gonna be a MAJOR embarrassment for Viking fans. The Packers will hang OVER 40 points on us easily
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

The Vikings will be up for this game. If not, might as well put Zimmer and Norv on the chopping block right away.

After last Sunday's disappointment, I have a feeling they'll come out pissed. They'll get to Rodgers and this game should be more competitive than the naysers have it going.

In the NFL, last week's results is not an accurate predictor of the next weeks results. It's a week-to-week league and the Vikings will be fired up for this one.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Any talk of Zimmer on the chopping block is ridiculous.

That being said, I see little reason to believe the Vikings will beat this team. I hate the Packers, but they're really good. I want to beat them in the worst way, but I'll settle for wiping the smirk off Aaron Rodgers smug face at some point during the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

It was a sarcastic joke.

However, I'm totally serious when I say that if this team shows up uninspired again and comes out with the same crap effort they did in Chicago, I see that as real concern for the coaching staff.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

I'll probably be pissed if they beat GB after that dud at Soldier Field.

Probably don't have to worry about it.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PacificNorseWest wrote:It was a sarcastic joke.

However, I'm totally serious when I say that if this team shows up uninspired again and comes out with the same crap effort they did in Chicago, I see that as real concern for the coaching staff.
In terms of public perception or do you actually think Zimmer's job would be in jeopardy? I think it would take a collapse of epic proportions over the remaining 6 games for him to be fired after one year. However, fans turn quickly...
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Mothman wrote: In terms of public perception or do you actually think Zimmer's job would be in jeopardy? I think it would take a collapse of epic proportions over the remaining 6 games for him to be fired after one year. However, fans turn quickly...
Perception. I don't think he should be fired at all and I also don't think he would be. All I'm really saying is it's not a good look and something to be concerned about or at least keep an eye on.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

I think this game will be a humiliating rout, not unlike the last game against the Pack.

Right now the Vikings are a bad team that can only on occasion beat other bad teams, while the Packers are really good.

If the Vikings can even come up with a few big plays, I'll be surprised but happy.

On another note, regardless what happens Zimmer's job will be safe. And it should be. He hasn't had enough time to fix this dysfunctional team.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Perception. I don't think he should be fired at all and I also don't think he would be. All I'm really saying is it's not a good look and something to be concerned about or at least keep an eye on.
I agree about the concern.

It's a division game with no bye week hangover to blame.

These guys should come out salty after this past sunday. I'll be surprised if not. Still expect them to get beat soundly though.
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

The Breeze wrote: It's a division game with no bye week hangover to blame.
I guess I don't see how a having a bye week can ever be used as an excuse for losing. You have an extra week to prepare along with the chance for some nagging injuries to heal. Blaming a loss on a bye week hangover is just a means of not putting the blame where it should be (the players/coaches).
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Purple Reign wrote: I guess I don't see how a having a bye week can ever be used as an excuse for losing. You have an extra week to prepare along with the chance for some nagging injuries to heal. Blaming a loss on a bye week hangover is just a means of not putting the blame where it should be (the players/coaches).
Complacency. Players can get to comfy at home relaxing and lose some focus. However, I'm in total agreemtn that a lot of blame should be placed on the coaches.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PacificNorseWest wrote:Perception. I don't think he should be fired at all and I also don't think he would be. All I'm really saying is it's not a good look and something to be concerned about or at least keep an eye on.
Understood (and I agree). Thanks for the clarification.
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Complacency. Players can get to comfy at home relaxing and lose some focus. However, I'm in total agreemtn that a lot of blame should be placed on the coaches.
Yes, I understand that players can lose focus and become complacent during the bye week, but the blame for that happening should be put on the players/coaches, not the fact that they had a bye week. Like I said, a bye week should be an advantage for a team and never be used as an excuse for losing.