Harvin traded to Jets

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: Harvin traded to Jets

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Mothman wrote: It will be interesting to see how it works out. Musgrave tried it at times with mixed results. Harvin can definitely make plays down the field.
How are his route running? I wonder why Seattle didn't do this more...
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleMustReign wrote:How are his route running? I wonder why Seattle didn't do this more...
He's never been very good at it (he tends to round routes off) and as others have pointed out, his size is a disadvantage when running routes downfield. His speed can make up for that and enable him to create separation.

I can't speak to why Seattle used him as they did but I thought one of the main reasons the Vikes threw a lot of passes to him near the line was simply to get the ball in his hands and give him a chance to make something happen. They sent him on downfield routes and even hit some of them but he was more effective as a runner with the ball in his hands than as a route runner trying to get open for the ball. Plus, they seemed to want him to touch the ball 10-15 times a game when they could make it happen and it's easier to do that by mixing in a number of short routes and runs. It's a lot harder to get an outside receiver that many touches per game, especially one with Harvin's skill set.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

I can't speak to why Seattle used him as they did but I thought one of the main reasons the Vikes threw a lot of passes to him near the line was simply to get the ball in his hands and give him a chance to make something happen.
Having a QB with questionable arm strength and horrible down field accuracy probably had an impact too. :twisted:
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Demi wrote: Having a QB with questionable arm strength and horrible down field accuracy probably had an impact too. :twisted:
:roll:
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

dead_poet wrote:Finally.

Percy Harvin - WR - Jets

ESPN Jets reporter Rich Cimini said New York wants to make Harvin a "downfield threat."

Harvin was used as essentially a pass-catching running back in Seattle, catching balls at or near the line of scrimmage and being asked to make plays himself. The Jets will likely push Harvin down the field more.
Source: ESPN New York
Favre tried to get Harvin involved down field and they had some success doing it. Harvin has always had the ability to be a natural wide-out and not just a gimmick player. Maybe New York is where he will find his niche and surprise people.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Mothman wrote: :roll:
Deep breaths :lol:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Mothman wrote: :roll:
Its probably part of it. Other than Favre, we havent had a good deep ball thrower since Culpepper or George.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

harvin kinds of reminds me of devin hester. a homerun threat you have too gameplan for but not a great wr. he looks likes he's a cancer in the locker rooms though. hope he changes.
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

Harvin was and IS a Slot Reciever and a specialty threat. Trying to force him into a typical WR will not work well. He lacks size, Strength, dedication to precise route running and the skill set to get open as a WR. Use him where his Skill set works the best
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Harvin doesn't have strength?...That's news to me.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Harvin has amazing physical skills.. its his mental strengths and abilities to deal with set backs, losses and other team
members that will end his career, if he keeps it up.. Look at T.O. and Ocho Cinco... no team wants to deal with the distractions
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

jackal wrote:Harvin has amazing physical skills.. its his mental strengths and abilities to deal with set backs, losses and other team
members that will end his career, if he keeps it up.. Look at T.O. and Ocho Cinco... no team wants to deal with the distractions
Don't forget a certain Randy Moss.
Headcase jerks poison locker rooms and rarely win super bowls. Even though TO helped the Eagles and Moss the Patriots. Neither team managed. Despite being two damn good receivers. they just don't have the mind set.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Mothman wrote: I've got no strings on me! ;)
He is a chip off of the old block :lol:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Harvin could miss the rest of the season after suffering an ankle injury Sunday against the Vikings, ESPN.com reports.
Still not injury prone. :rofl:
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Cliff wrote: One day he'll go over 1,000 yards receiving ... then he'll be a real boy ... err ... wide receiver.
Who? Harvin or Patterson?

FWIW, both Charles Johnson and Jarius Wright had at least as good as a season as Harvin. Well, Harvin had Johnson by 8 yards but Johnson had Harvin by a TD.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966