Stupid Dog Cancer

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Stupid Dog Cancer

Post by PurpleMustReign »

My older dog was mostly officially diagnosed with Lymphoma. :cry:
I will be meeting with an Oncologist on Monday to determine treatment, etc. Unfortunately, this cancer is not curable, it is only treatable. The best treatment only buys about a year. He is almost 10 years old, so he has had a full life, but it still sucks. He is still my boy.
Anyone else gone through this kind of thing?
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Stupid Dog Cancer

Post by Mothman »

PurpleMustReign wrote:My older dog was mostly officially diagnosed with Lymphoma. :cry:
I will be meeting with an Oncologist on Monday to determine treatment, etc. Unfortunately, this cancer is not curable, it is only treatable. The best treatment only buys about a year. He is almost 10 years old, so he has had a full life, but it still sucks. He is still my boy.
Yes, and it's hard. I'm sorry to hear this news because I know a good pet is like family and I know you love your dogs. I went through something similar with a cat I had for 13 years. He developed kidney disease.

Hang in there, my friend. Hopefully, the treatment will go well and remember, those estimates are just estimates. Some people, and animals, exceed them, sometimes by a good margin.

Just keep lovin' him and do what you can do for him... he'll appreciate it. :)
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

PurpleMustReign wrote:My older dog was mostly officially diagnosed with Lymphoma. :cry:
Unfortunately, yes. But as you said he's had a full life so all you can really do now is make him as comfortable as possible and spend as much time as you can with him. One thing you may want to look into is if there are any vets in your area that make house calls. It's always a heartbreaking decision, but if the time comes, it's a lot easier (for you and the dog) if you can say goodbye in the comfort of your own home rather than at the vet.

Sorry to hear the news my friend.
Kansas Viking
Starship Commander

Post by Kansas Viking »

Been through it in the past and probably will again in the very near future. So sorry to hear about your dog Josh. I hope things go well for him and he gets plenty of care and love. My thoughts are with you.
Mike

BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

So sorry to hear this. Been through this too many times. We treasure every day with our two "babies", and dread the day we will have to say goodbye. Until then, they are loved, as I am sure your ol' boy was.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Well, after much thought and weighing the payment options, I decided to give Chemotherapy a try. It is pricey, but I would regret it if I didn't at least try it, since I was able to come up with a plan with my finances to afford it. Chemo isn't the same in animals as it is in humans, so their quality of life doesn't drop (or it isn't supposed to at least).
I am hopeful, but still nervous about the whole thing.

Wish Monte luck... He will need it!!

The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Kansas Viking
Starship Commander

Post by Kansas Viking »

This is a stupid question, but will he lose his hair?
Mike

frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

Wow - this truly breaks my heart. I hope everything works out for the best.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Kansas Viking wrote:This is a stupid question, but will he lose his hair?

No, which is another difference between human Chemo and animal Chemo. He may "thin" in some spots, but he won't go bald.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Good luck, Monte!

... and good luck, Josh. Hang in there and please, talk to us if you need support. We're here for you.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

I'm sorry you and monte are having to go through it. I dread the day I have to face it with my dogs. I hope things go as well as possible with the treatment and you guys get all the time possible together.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I'm very ,very sorry ...

My Nikki (German Sheppard) died of bone cancer and various tumors...

The first dog I ever had was a Beagle (Casey) a great dog for a young boy.

I was young and loved him. I should have put him down sooner. He couldn't even
stand at the end, to go to the bathroom. I will never let a dog, go that long again.
It's a very, very hard choice, but when my dogs time ends, I choose to end, their suffering.

I admit, I still cry thinking of my beloved dogs...
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

So, I had to read this thread after reading the Stuart Scott thread.

I almost afraid to ask....but what's the latest?

Had a great cat with lymphoma....was a helpless feeling.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

He's responding well to the chemo so far, and doing very well. It is pricey, but very worth it to me so far :-)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

PurpleMustReign wrote:He's responding well to the chemo so far, and doing very well. It is pricey, but very worth it to me so far :-)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
That's good to hear!
Nice that you can afford the treatment and he's responding to it.
Go Monte!