Harvin traded to Jets

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

Demi
Commissioner

Re: Harvin traded to Jets

Post by Demi »

Boon wrote: You cant play both sides in one point dude lol
How is it playing both sides? It was clear for quite some time he should have been traded, and wasn't, and people beat the drum he was untradeable, wasn't injury prone, some amazing weapon, etc.

He finally forces a trade, and the GM is a genius for giving him it.
TJ24
Waterboy

Post by TJ24 »

see if they want jennings for the jets pick :confused:
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

Demi wrote: How is it playing both sides? It was clear for quite some time he should have been traded, and wasn't, and people beat the drum he was untradeable, wasn't injury prone, some amazing weapon, etc.

He finally forces a trade, and the GM is a genius for giving him it.
How can you not give credit to a GM for trading away a WR with injury issues, off the field issues and no 1000 yard receiving seasons who as you have said was forcing his way off the team for a 1st, 3rd and 7th round pick? Spielman deserves credit for getting enormous value in that situation, which is only emphasized by the fact that barely a year after the trade, the Seahawks got far less value for Harvin.

It amazes me the lengths people will go to deny Spielman any praise, no matter the situation. Good draft picks/trades/signings/etc. are always chalked up to "obvious decisions that he deserves no credit for". Of course, any and every move he makes that does not work, no matter how minor, must be placed on his shoulders, and be brought up and continuously repeated. But how dare anyone give him any credit for something positive, he is incapable of ever making a good decision unless it's so obvious that anyone in the whole world would do it. (Case in point, Matt Kalil. Rookie season - "Spielman deserves no credit, that was an obvious pick anyone would have made." 3rd season - "Spielman sucks at drafting, look at Kalil"
PsyDanny
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PsyDanny »

saint33 wrote: How can you not give credit to a GM for trading away a WR with injury issues, off the field issues and no 1000 yard receiving seasons who as you have said was forcing his way off the team for a 1st, 3rd and 7th round pick? Spielman deserves credit for getting enormous value in that situation, which is only emphasized by the fact that barely a year after the trade, the Seahawks got far less value for Harvin.
I suspect it means that all draft announcements from the podium should have always, and always in the future, should say "With the Xth pick, the Minnesota Vikings, after consulting Demi, because he is so much smarter than anyone else, pick ...."
"My anterior orifice is forever causing me extreme difficulty;
therefore, I shall endeavor to acquire some self-control."
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

How can you not give credit to a GM for trading away a WR with injury issues, off the field issues and no 1000 yard receiving seasons who as you have said was forcing his way off the team for a 1st, 3rd and 7th round pick?
Because he didn't do it due to all the other issues, he hung onto him until he refused to stay with the team....how can you give someone credit for doing something when they had no other choice?
mmvikes
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by mmvikes »

Demi wrote: Because he didn't do it due to all the other issues, he hung onto him until he refused to stay with the team....how can you give someone credit for doing something when they had no other choice?
He had a choice. He could have paid him what Percy thought he was worth, and then we would be #### now about how Rick made a bad move and paid him too much money.
mmvikes
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by mmvikes »

Raptorman wrote:Upon hearing the news of the trade, Percy developed a headache and is expected to miss the next 8 weeks. :mrgreen:
Top Notch
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Demi wrote: Because he didn't do it due to all the other issues, he hung onto him until he refused to stay with the team....how can you give someone credit for doing something when they had no other choice?
Because he had a choice and because he negotiated a good deal, particularly under the circumstances.
mmvikes
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by mmvikes »

Slick Rick pulls off another gem. Nice he was able to fleece Seattle.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

The Vikings knew they couldn’t coexist with the highly talented, but at time high maintenance, Percy Harvin. They bought high (2009 first-round pick) and somehow sold even higher (2013 first-round pick, plus more), getting real value from a guy they so badly wanted to trade that G.M. Rick Spielman declared publicly and loudly that the Vikings had “no intent” to trade him.
Does anyone even remember what was going on at that point in time? :confused:
There was no chance he wasn't traded, and instead of trading him at a time his stock was high, he waited until every team in the NFL knew he was available, and was disgruntled.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Demi wrote: Does anyone even remember what was going on at that point in time? :confused:
There was no chance he wasn't traded, and instead of trading him at a time his stock was high, he waited until every team in the NFL knew he was available, and was disgruntled.
What is tripping you up here? Yes, we remember what was happening at the time. That's why Spielman deserves kudos for getting so much in return for a disgruntled player who wanted out of Minnesota. As the quote above says, they bought high and sold higher. You don't see how that's a net positive for the organization, especially under those circumstances?
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

Don't feed ... Never mind. So this means Percival plays against us this season. He will get up for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

I guess he punched Tate last year? I never heard that before today. Lots of stuff that makes it sound like he was just too big of a headache for seattle
http://vikingsterritory.com/2014/analys ... in-to-jets
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

We shouldn't be TOOO smug here in Viking -land, Its hard to argue that WE have a WR any better then Percy, even WITH all his warts.
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

chicagopurple wrote:We shouldn't be TOOO smug here in Viking -land, Its hard to argue that WE have a WR any better then Percy, even WITH all his warts.
We turned him into Rhodes and McKinnon. Sneaky Pete and John Schneider gave him 20 million to play ten games and got a mid round pick back for him. I will be as damn smug as I want, thanks very much doc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk