PHP's "Never Too Early" Mock Offseason

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: PHP's "Never Too Early" Mock Offseason

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Myles Jack is very similar to Anthony Barr. Very rangy and has great speed which Zimmer loves on the outside but I'm not sure if we need another guy like that. It's not a huge need because we will have Barr and Hodges on the outsides. As for LB, it's more about finding that sure tackler/thumper in the middle IMO. That's Perryman through and through. Check out the highlights I posted on Perryman above. He's a beast in the middle

It's always a possibility for us to draft Jack but after taking Barr last year, I can't see it if you know what I mean
Thanks for the feedback. I viewed Barr as more of a DE/LB hybrid and have been surprised with his range and coverage ability. Jack looked almost like a LB/S hybrid in the little I saw of him. Do you think that's a fair observation? He spent a lot of time out wide on the slot and in coverage. You make a good point about our most pressing need being in the middle of our linebacking corps. I suppose it remains to be seen what we have in hodges, so if he pans out you are probably right.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Beo
Backup

Post by Beo »

fiestavike wrote: Thanks for the feedback. I viewed Barr as more of a DE/LB hybrid and have been surprised with his range and coverage ability. Jack looked almost like a LB/S hybrid in the little I saw of him. Do you think that's a fair observation? He spent a lot of time out wide on the slot and in coverage. You make a good point about our most pressing need being in the middle of our linebacking corps. I suppose it remains to be seen what we have in hodges, so if he pans out you are probably right.
Myles Jack is also a true sophomore I believe so if we were to draft him it wouldnt be until 2016 at the earliest. He is a great player though.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

fiestavike wrote: Thanks for the feedback. I viewed Barr as more of a DE/LB hybrid and have been surprised with his range and coverage ability. Jack looked almost like a LB/S hybrid in the little I saw of him. Do you think that's a fair observation? He spent a lot of time out wide on the slot and in coverage. You make a good point about our most pressing need being in the middle of our linebacking corps. I suppose it remains to be seen what we have in hodges, so if he pans out you are probably right.
Yeah that's definitely a fair observation. Jack is one to watch for sure
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

This might be the first time in years that I'm not concerned about who the Vikings sign and who they don't this offseason. Well, Tom Johnson is looking pretty promising so hopefully they can keep him but there's no real huge need signings for once. It's a little early to be looking at the draft for me but Gurley does seem like the type of back that would thrive in Minnesota.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

He was doing it just for fun, but his research is always nice to see.

With all the injuries this team has gotten already, by the end of season, his mock will be completely different im sure.

And if AD does happen to play for us next year, I don't see them going after Gurley. Who right now, I would bet, but don't know for sure, most fans want as our #1 pick.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PurpleKoolaid wrote:He was doing it just for fun, but his research is always nice to see.
Thanks PK!

PurpleKoolaid wrote:With all the injuries this team has gotten already, by the end of season, his mock will be completely different im sure.
Yes no doubt. There will be some I keep (probably Collins and Perryman) but it will definitely change.

PurpleKoolaid wrote:And if AD does happen to play for us next year, I don't see them going after Gurley. Who right now, I would bet, but don't know for sure, most fans want as our #1 pick.
Yeah I don't either. It's so hard to tell what they are going to do with AP.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Beo
Backup

Post by Beo »

Give me Randall Cobb, Mike Iupati, and Kareem Jackson in free agency with all the money we will have and then give me PHP's first 3 picks of Collins, Gurley, and Perryman and we will be locked and loaded for a Super Bowl appearance within 2-3 years. Our offense would be sick and Collins, Perryman, and Jackson would fill in what I think are the 3 weak spots on Defense.
84BreaksAnkles
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 84BreaksAnkles »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:....Hope you guys enjoyed the read!!! :govikes:
Terrific take. Although, I really would like to let the CFB season mature a bit more, before I start salivating over who I want in the draft.
I think you hit our FA situation on the head, and the AD situation would be a pleasant surprise if what you're suggesting came to fruition.

Although at THIS POINT, I would be overcome with joy and be overwhelmed by good vibes, probably shedding a few tears if Our draft looked exactly like that next year. I would be weeping (Happily of course)

We should be able to make a VICIOUS (MULTIPLE STARS/SUPERSTARS) splash in FA or the trade market once we get rid of Adrian's contract.

Thanks PHP
Please just watch(04:39-05:18):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxXCuSyj18M&t=4m39s
This is a dog.
Compare that to this guy (00:46-01:01):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar3ioQywcAc&t=0m45s
"It's ok to hit the bag"
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

I always enjoy these threads.

I think we may need some help on the Defensive Line, heck the OL too.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Beo wrote:Give me Randall Cobb, Mike Iupati, and Kareem Jackson in free agency with all the money we will have and then give me PHP's first 3 picks of Collins, Gurley, and Perryman and we will be locked and loaded for a Super Bowl appearance within 2-3 years. Our offense would be sick and Collins, Perryman, and Jackson would fill in what I think are the 3 weak spots on Defense.
I would like that too!
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

84BreaksAnkles wrote: Terrific take. Although, I really would like to let the CFB season mature a bit more, before I start salivating over who I want in the draft.
I think you hit our FA situation on the head, and the AD situation would be a pleasant surprise if what you're suggesting came to fruition.

Although at THIS POINT, I would be overcome with joy and be overwhelmed by good vibes, probably shedding a few tears if Our draft looked exactly like that next year. I would be weeping (Happily of course)

We should be able to make a VICIOUS (MULTIPLE STARS/SUPERSTARS) splash in FA or the trade market once we get rid of Adrian's contract.

Thanks PHP
I appreciate the feedback. Yeah my picks will probably change in a few months as the college season goes on :lol:
-Chazz Palminteri
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

WIth Gurley in the running (see what I did there?) for the Heisman, I am not sure I would draft him if he wins it. The success rates of Heisman winners is not exactly awe-inspiring, to say the least. There are plenty of productive RBs who can't make the jump to the NFL. Does Gurley have the ability to do it? I would not be horrified by a trade up into the late first round to take him, but I see so many other huge holes on the Vikings talent-wise, that I have to wonder if that would be a mistake.

The two things I look for in a game changing RB is his ability to make something from nothing which usually involves lateral agility coupled with a quick burst of speed when changing direction. And then the speed to outrun pursuers. Three, THREE things I look for.

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

I agree with BGM. Don't need to pay a high price for someone like Gurley. There is other viable backs out there. You local guys see him more than I have, what do you think of Badgers RB Melvin Gordon?
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

Well, I guess Gurley isn't going to be winning the heisman now. Suspended indefinitely is what is being said now.
Bruce Feldman ‏@BruceFeldmanCFB 8m8 minutes ago

Huge news: #Georgia announces Todd Gurley has been suspended for alleged violation of NCAA rules. Richt: "I'm obviously very disappointed."
http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... definitely
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

Crax wrote:Well, I guess Gurley isn't going to be winning the heisman now. Suspended indefinitely is what is being said now. http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... definitely
Woah.