When will we see AP back in a Vikings uniform?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

When do you think we'll see AP back in purple?

Within the next 6 weeks
6%
Towards the back end of the season
15%
Next season
11%
Never
68%

Total votes: 53

The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: When will we see AP back in a Vikings uniform?

Post by The Breeze »

Mothman wrote:Here's someone who is trying to start the dialogue:

http://www.cbssports.com/general/writer ... hild-abuse

It's honest and I think it's worth reading.

Thanks, Jim!
Great article in terms of setting a tone for discourse and very candid as well. :beerchug:
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

fiestavike wrote: Thanks Jim,

I could do without Chris Kluwe's typically derogatory comment about those he disagrees with (toothless), but otherwise a good read.

One thing I will say is that shame has gotten a bad name in our society. The author is appalled that he made his son feel ashamed, and yet it is his own shame that caused him to change his perspective. In the right circumstances and to the right degree, shame is an important and good thing. There are things we do that we should be ashamed of. I think Peterson should be ashamed that he went that far, that he injured his son more significantly than he intended. He probably is ashamed of that. And its not inappropriate, in my opinion, for a child to feel ashamed when they are behaving very poorly or disappointing their parents in some circumstances. The same might be said for fear as well.

For some reason we have taken things that are good and appropriate in their right place and made it a point of dogma in society that they are "bad". They can be. But they can also be good.
This is good stuff...thanks for posting it. It makes me think of the times I was beaten in anger and how it left me feeling a bit raped and ashamed at being so helpless. It seeded some hard to resolve anger in me.

Maybe shame is a bad thing when becomes an identity rather than a catalyzing force for change...and that seems inherent to how the shame is administered and received? Shame is a stepping stone rather than a millstone around one's neck?
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Like with Kluwe, there's very little chance this goes to trial. He'll likely plead guilty to a lesser charge or for a reduced sentence. Then, he'll be on the free market this offseason as his contract is only worth that amount for a player who isn't tarnished. Subject to the highest bidder, he can land anywhere but I think the Vikings re-signing him (at a lower price) is a likely outcome. The Wilf's need someone to plaster on their new stadium and AD has been that vision for a while now. Unless Patterson or Bridgewater has some sort of amazing season, it's likely they try to stick with that vision.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

S197 wrote:Like with Kluwe, there's very little chance this goes to trial. He'll likely plead guilty to a lesser charge or for a reduced sentence. Then, he'll be on the free market this offseason as his contract is only worth that amount for a player who isn't tarnished. Subject to the highest bidder, he can land anywhere but I think the Vikings re-signing him (at a lower price) is a likely outcome. The Wilf's need someone to plaster on their new stadium and AD has been that vision for a while now. Unless Patterson or Bridgewater has some sort of amazing season, it's likely they try to stick with that vision.
I wouldn't be opposed to this. If Cook, Vick, Ray Lewis, etc. get a second chance, AD should. But nothing will happen until he admits what he did was wrong, regardless of how he was raised. I was talking with a friend last night that was pretty sure AD would be back, with a lesser contract. I don't see that happening. Some other team will likely want a home run guy for a couple years. And Im not sure AD ties to MN will keep him here. And what if next year another one of his kids (or their mothers) come out with an AD abuse story.
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

S197 wrote:Like with Kluwe, there's very little chance this goes to trial. He'll likely plead guilty to a lesser charge or for a reduced sentence. Then, he'll be on the free market this offseason as his contract is only worth that amount for a player who isn't tarnished. Subject to the highest bidder, he can land anywhere but I think the Vikings re-signing him (at a lower price) is a likely outcome. The Wilf's need someone to plaster on their new stadium and AD has been that vision for a while now. Unless Patterson or Bridgewater has some sort of amazing season, it's likely they try to stick with that vision.
I agree that there is a chance AD might be back with the Vikings, but IMO there is no way that the Wilf's will put AD's image on the new stadium.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Purple Reign wrote: I agree that there is a chance AD might be back with the Vikings, but IMO there is no way that the Wilf's will put AD's image on the new stadium.
I didn't really mean it literally, I was talking more along the lines of media (programs, posters, brochures, etc.). The Vikings really need to decide if they're going to be all in or cut ties on AD, I don't really see a middle ground. He's not the type of guy you can quietly re-sign and pull out of the spotlight. He's either the guy that represents the Vikings, as he has been for so many years now, or he has no association with the team at all. That may sound rather black and white but someone with that much presence and that much impact on the game, I don't really see it any other way. And in the NFL, I do think you can have a rather checkered past and still be synonymous with the team. Ray Lewis as an example.
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11609 ... xt-message

I might be reading into this, but it seems like the team still respects AD. If there was any chance of the team being divided with the AD situation, I'm guessing Coach Zimmer wouldn't have made the decision to read AD's texts right before game time.

Obviously personnel decisions aren't made by the players, but this article gives a little indication that they'd like to have him back.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@mattvensel -- Zimmer said he sees Jerick McKinnon as a change of pace and mentions next year when talking about him becoming an every-down back.
@mattvensel -- I wouldn't read too much into Zimmer's comment about McKinnon. Probably speaks more to not wanting to overload the rookie than AP's future.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

dead_poet wrote:
Regardless, if the running game continues to thrive as is, it will change the relationship dynamic between AD and ownership. Zimmer may have little say in it.

I am hoping AD gets everything together and has a chance to play for Turner and with TB.
purplehaze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by purplehaze »

I hope he does not wear purple again. Time to move on. Teddy is the new face plus we rushed for 213 yards against dirty birds. So we proved it can be done without AP.

Edit. Teddy rushed for 27 yards so total of 240 yards.
“He's like a piece of gristle. He's got a great squirt in the hole"-- Brad Childress.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

purplehaze wrote:I hope he does not wear purple again. Time to move on. Teddy is the new face plus we rushed for 213 yards against dirty birds. So we proved it can be done without AP.

I love Teddy too, but that's quite the exaggeration. I mean, we can't just assume that after one game the Vikings no longer need one of the greatest running backs ever.

And you didn't say this, but to add, I keep hearing about an RB's age relative to their production when they bring up a reason why the Vikings can easily afford to cut ties with AP, but I think it's bogus. I won't argue that the value of a RB has declined considerably over the years and it's better to put your money elsewhere, but as I just alluded to -- when we're talking about an all-time great, the norm rarely applies. It is highly likely that Peterson could run for 1500 yards the next two years. If not 1500 then at least 1200. No doubts in my mind. Now, what team can't use that? Passing era or not.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

It's sad to say, but I think the team keeping AP will boil down to a business decision and not a moral one.

If the team does well without Peterson and the backup RBs continue what they did against Atlanta I expect the team to cut ties. It'll be more because the cheaper options are doing fine more than because they don't like what Peterson did. Just a good excuse to cut ties with a pricey vet who is approaching 30 without getting nearly as much fan backlash.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

The sooner the better for me. Hope he comes back next week!
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

purplehaze wrote:I hope he does not wear purple again. Time to move on. Teddy is the new face plus we rushed for 213 yards against dirty birds. So we proved it can be done without AP.

Nice cherry picking of stats. The other weeks of practically no rushing stats mean nothing?
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

If the Vikings can get McKinnon going it's going to be lethal. I'm not saying he's Adrian but he's a YOUNG & CHEAP player who has elite skills
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.