PHP's "Never Too Early" Mock Offseason

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PHP's "Never Too Early" Mock Offseason

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

As you guys know, I love doing these. Not saying this is what's going to happen. Will it be correct, no probably not. I have hit on a decent number of picks over the years (Munnerlyn and Jennings in FA, Patterson, Hodges, Harrison Smith and Floyd (at the time I had us getting Floyd in the 2nd before he shot up draft boards)) but it's next to impossible to ever get these right but I know you guys enjoy the read.

REMEMBER ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN!!!! If I did a mock last year at this time and said we would get Bridgewater and Barr you guys would tear me apart!! :lol:

Hope you guys like it!!! :v):

The Vikings finish 7-9 and receive the 12th overall pick in the 2015 NFL draft

2015 Vikings Free Agents

QB Christian Ponder - not resigned
RB Joe Banyard (ERFA) - not resigned
OC Joe Berger - not resigned
OG Vladimir Ducasse - resigned 1 year, vet minimum
OT Mike Harris - not resigned
DE Corey Wootton - resigned 2 years, $2M/year
DT Tom Johnson - resigned 2 years, $2M/year
LB Jasper Brinkley - resigned 1 year, $1M/year
LS Cullen Loeffler - resigned 2 years, $1M/year

RFA's Retained
RB Matt Asiata (RFA) - retained

Players Released
LG- Charlie Johnson

Players Traded
RB Adrian Peterson- This is going to be a touchy situation and nobody really knows whats going to happen here. As much as I hate to say it, I think he is going to be gone. However, I think we are better off restructuring his contract and trading him rather than cutting him outright. How his contract will be structured?? I honestly have no clue. He is still a very good RB and we can still get solid value for him. That value though, is also tough to determine. Spielman did a great job of getting a 1st round pick for Percy which nobody thought would happen. However, I don't think we can get one for Adrian because of his age and the decline of the RB position.

However, in this mock offseason, we do manage to restructure his contract, trade him and receive: the Dallas Cowboys 2nd round pick, 4th round pick and their 2016 5th round pick

Free Agency-

CB- Kareem Jackson- 4 years, $6M/year- Jackson has been solid since coming into the league from the Crimson Tide recording 9 interceptions since 2011. He will allow us to use Munnerlyn in the slot. Jackson gives us the versatility to even use Munnerlyn on the outside if we want and bump him to the slot. He has played the majority of his games on the outside but has played the slot as well.

LG- Clint Boling- 3 years, $2.5M/year- Boling was injured last season but has been a superior pass blocker since he has been in the league and has ranked in the top 15 according PFF the last 2 years.

TE- Jermaine Gresham- 2 years, 2M/year- Gresham provides solid depth behind Kyle Rudolph.

DT- Terrence Cody- 1 year, vet minimum- Provides depth along the interior defensive line

2014 NFL Draft

Round 1 (12th)

SS- Landon Collins- Alabama- Collins is the top safety in this years draft and was considered the best overall player on Bama's defense LAST YEAR! Zimmer loves versatile safeties that can play all over the field and this is exactly what Collins can do. A great pick that fills a huge hole.

TRADE- The classic Spielman trade up never fails. The Vikings trade their 2nd round pick (44th overall) and their 3rd round pick to the Cincinnati Bengals for their 1st round pick (25th overall)

Round 1 (25th) via Cincinnati

RB-Todd Gurley- Georgia- Gurley fills a gigantic need and gives us our running game back. Gurley is one of the best RBs to come out since AP and will be an immediate impact player for this offense.

Round 2 via Dallas

MLB- Denzel Perryman- Miami- Perryman is my "man crush" of this years draft. He is an absolute animal in the middle and is a sure first round talent but could fall due to his size (somewhat under-sized standing at 6'0). Zimmer loves that thumper in the middle and thats Perryman inside and out. He is one of the best run stuffers to come out in a long time. Watch and see for yourself!!! Highlights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfSa4V15324

Round 4 via Dallas

WR- Nelson Agholor- USC- Agholor is a solid possession WR that could develop into our #3 WR behind CP and Greg.

Round 5

CB- KeiVarae Russell- Notre Dame- Russell can make an impact as a #4-5 CB for us.

Round 6

OT- Darryl Williams- Oklahoma- Provides depth behind Kalil and Loadholt

Round 7

QB- Taylor Kelly- Arizona St.- our 3rd string QB

....Hope you guys enjoyed the read!!! :govikes:
Last edited by Pondering Her Percy on Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Beo
Backup

Re: PHP's "Never Too Early" Mock Offseason

Post by Beo »

First of all let me say this.......I love these mocks PHP! Never too early for this. Ok with that being said I will add some observations. First one is that you don't have us releasing Chad Greenway. We all love Chad but I think Gerald Hodges is our new WLB and if Greenway is back next year with his almost 9 million dollar cap number I want an investigation....lol. At this point in his career he is worth nowhere near that and he has to go I believe. I like what you did with getting something for Adrian. With getting rid of Peterson, Greenway, Charlie Johnson, and Ponder's contracts we will have alot of cap space money to make a splash. I like some of your free agent targets but I think we can afford more with the money we will have. I like Cody but dont see the need for him if you are resigning Tom Johnson. We wont keep 5 DT's and I am fine with Joseph, Floyd, Johnson, and think Stephen is going to be really good. I like Kareem Jackson alot and think he would be a great addition as the 3rd piece in our CB depth chart with Rhodes and Cap. I would like to see a Jason Pierre-Paul (assuming he is healthy) reeking havoc along with Griffen, Robison, Wooton, and Crichton, or sticking it to the Packers again and signing Randall Cobb as our 3rd WR for Teddy. A couple other players that interest me would be Mike Iupati and Devin Mccourty. Your draft picks I like alot but dont think Agholor would last till the 4th. One last thing is you have our 7th round pick as Sims but you have a pic up of Kelly from ASU. Great job and look forward to more people adding onto this thread.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Beo wrote:First of all let me say this.......I love these mocks PHP! Never too early for this. Ok with that being said I will add some observations. First one is that you don't have us releasing Chad Greenway. We all love Chad but I think Gerald Hodges is our new WLB and if Greenway is back next year with his almost 9 million dollar cap number I want an investigation....lol. At this point in his career he is worth nowhere near that and he has to go I believe. I like what you did with getting something for Adrian. With getting rid of Peterson, Greenway, Charlie Johnson, and Ponder's contracts we will have alot of cap space money to make a splash. I like some of your free agent targets but I think we can afford more with the money we will have. I like Cody but dont see the need for him if you are resigning Tom Johnson. We wont keep 5 DT's and I am fine with Joseph, Floyd, Johnson, and think Stephen is going to be really good. I like Kareem Jackson alot and think he would be a great addition as the 3rd piece in our CB depth chart with Rhodes and Cap. I would like to see a Jason Pierre-Paul (assuming he is healthy) reeking havoc along with Griffen, Robison, Wooton, and Crichton, or sticking it to the Packers again and signing Randall Cobb as our 3rd WR for Teddy. A couple other players that interest me would be Mike Iupati and Devin Mccourty. Your draft picks I like alot but dont think Agholor would last till the 4th. One last thing is you have our 7th round pick as Sims but you have a pic up of Kelly from ASU. Great job and look forward to more people adding onto this thread.
:lol: thanks for that I just edited that 7th round pick. I was thinking about taking Sims but changed my mind and never changed the name.

Overall though, thanks for the feedback I appreciate it!!! I was on the fence with Greenway. I feel like we might try to restructure him before we just cut him outright. I was considering FA WRs as well and looked into Cobb but decided to go in a different direction.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Fun stuff...I don't usually follow the college game at this point in the year so I enjoy getting a few names to keep an eye on. What can you tell me about Miles Jack from UCLA? I saw a bit of the AZ state game and he didn't make too many splash plays but looked very versatile in coverage. Is he the type of moveable piece Zimmer would love to utilize?
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

fiestavike wrote:Fun stuff...I don't usually follow the college game at this point in the year so I enjoy getting a few names to keep an eye on. What can you tell me about Miles Jack from UCLA? I saw a bit of the AZ state game and he didn't make too many splash plays but looked very versatile in coverage. Is he the type of moveable piece Zimmer would love to utilize?
Myles Jack is very similar to Anthony Barr. Very rangy and has great speed which Zimmer loves on the outside but I'm not sure if we need another guy like that. It's not a huge need because we will have Barr and Hodges on the outsides. As for LB, it's more about finding that sure tackler/thumper in the middle IMO. That's Perryman through and through. Check out the highlights I posted on Perryman above. He's a beast in the middle

It's always a possibility for us to draft Jack but after taking Barr last year, I can't see it if you know what I mean
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

The only thing I question is will Gurley last into the end off the 1st round. I think he could be a top10 pick, he is a Marshawn Lynch type beast that takes many guys to bring down and very few can outrun.

edit: With that said, if we dont have AD next year, I would LOVE to have Gurley. I watch a lot of Georgia football, and I have liked him since he started playing with the team.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PurpleMustReign wrote:The only thing I question is will Gurley last into the end off the 1st round. I think he could be a top10 pick, he is a Marshawn Lynch type beast that takes many guys to bring down and very few can outrun.

edit: With that said, if we dont have AD next year, I would LOVE to have Gurley. I watch a lot of Georgia football, and I have liked him since he started playing with the team.
Yeah it's a toss up. It's hard to predict now plus the combine and pro days alter draft position as well (i.e. Bridgewater) so who knows. Granted he is a top talent but RBs aren't taken as early anymore. Gurley could definitely be that exception though. Plus in this mock, we're getting him at 25 so it's not too deep in the 1st but deep enough. It could really go either way.

Like I said in my original post, if I had a mock last year around this time of us getting Teddy at 32, I probably would have been shredded :lol:
-Chazz Palminteri
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Great job PHP, really enjoyed it.....keep it going :thumbsup:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Purple bruise wrote:Great job PHP, really enjoyed it.....keep it going :thumbsup:
Thanks brother!!
-Chazz Palminteri
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

PurpleMustReign wrote:The only thing I question is will Gurley last into the end off the 1st round. I think he could be a top10 pick, he is a Marshawn Lynch type beast that takes many guys to bring down and very few can outrun.

Gurley is only a junior so I am not sure if he will be there in next year's draft. He would seem to be a great replacement for AD (if that does happen).
After the very disappointing drafting of Trent Richardson (3rd player taken in the 2012 draft) some teams might be very wary of taking Gurly early in the draft. He could very well drop quite a ways into the first or early second round.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Excellent. I wonder how we could get both Collins and Gurley, without giving up the rest of the draft. As much as I like Collins, I think this team needs Gurley more. But could we really spend a first round pick on a RB?
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Excellent. I wonder how we could get both Collins and Gurley, without giving up the rest of the draft. As much as I like Collins, I think this team needs Gurley more. But could we really spend a first round pick on a RB?
To be honest. I truly believe we could land both. Collins is a sure early first rounder which I think we would be in position to take. Gurley could definitely be a late first rounder and you know Spielman loves to trade up to get that extra 5th year option so I don't think it's out of the question at all. Let's hope and pray because those 2 alone would be an awesome draft and to add Perryman in the mix makes it that much better
-Chazz Palminteri
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Great job as always, PHP. I just love these mocks that you do. So well researched and interesting.

It's way too early for me to comment. I honestly don't know where this season is going yet, so I want to see how things pan out.

That said, if the Vikings can land Todd Gurley and Denzel Perryman in next year's draft, I will be thrilled. I've seen these guys play and I share your enthusiasm for them. Besides, Spielman has a way of making these kind of things happen, so just maybe the team will get them both.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: TRADE- The classic Spielman trade up never fails. The Vikings trade their 2nd round pick (44th overall) and their 3rd round pick to the Cincinnati Bengals for their 1st round pick (25th overall)

Round 1 (25th) via Cincinnati

RB-Todd Gurley- Georgia- Gurley fills a gigantic need and gives us our running game back. Gurley is one of the best RBs to come out since AP and will be an immediate impact player for this offense.
There hasn't been a RB taken in the 1st round of the NFL draft since 2012 (the year Kalil was drafted), and while it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Spielman make the move you describe, it would not be an encouraging sign for me that the Vikings fundamentally understand what they need to do to be successful on offense.

Gurley could very well be the BPA at that spot, but even so, why give up anything in trade to get him at that spot? If the best the Vikes can do in trade for Peterson is a 2nd rounder, then use the 2nd rounder to get his replacement. Or, better yet, wait until the 3rd to find the RB as RB's are far more likely to slide these days.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

VikingLord wrote: There hasn't been a RB taken in the 1st round of the NFL draft since 2012 (the year Kalil was drafted), and while it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Spielman make the move you describe, it would not be an encouraging sign for me that the Vikings fundamentally understand what they need to do to be successful on offense.

Gurley could very well be the BPA at that spot, but even so, why give up anything in trade to get him at that spot? If the best the Vikes can do in trade for Peterson is a 2nd rounder, then use the 2nd rounder to get his replacement. Or, better yet, wait until the 3rd to find the RB as RB's are far more likely to slide these days.
That's what bothers me. As good as he is, he's an RB. And not a perfect every single down back. By far though, the best RB in the draft. We sold the house with AD, no SB visit. And he is/was awesome.