View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Have To Admit 
Veteran

Post Have To Admit
Your team drafted well.

But my team did not do too bad considering our low positions in the draft.

Tue May 13, 2014 5:13 pm
Career Elite Player

Post Re: Have To Admit
greenandgold wrote:
Your team drafted well.

Since we're admitting things, I have to admit I'm jealous that you folks got Clinton-Dix. I think he will be a hell of a player.

Tue May 13, 2014 5:17 pm
Veteran

frosted21 wrote:
greenandgold wrote:
Your team drafted well.

Since we're admitting things, I have to admit I'm jealous that you folks got Clinton-Dix. I think he will be a hell of a player.

I'm doubled spoiled since I now live in Alabama. Clintin-Dix now, Lacy before.

Tue May 20, 2014 6:08 pm
Site Admin

WTF kind of smack is this, guys? :lol:

Thu May 29, 2014 2:07 pm
Commissioner

Cliff wrote:

Are you talking smack at the smack talk?

Thu May 29, 2014 2:15 pm
Site Admin

dead_poet wrote:
Cliff wrote:

Are you talking smack at the smack talk?

I am. I am smack talking the smack talk that was talked.

Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:47 am
All Pro Elite Player

I was watching the Football Life of Vince Lombardi today on the NFL Network and I must admit, it brought a tear to my eye. Most fans here get so hyped up about Bud "I can win every game except the Superbowl" Grant, and make it seems like he is so great, but to be great you have to like Lombardi. If there was a Great Coaches who never won a super bowl list, he'd definitely be in the top though. But great coaches overall win championships/super bowls. I remember watching the part about how the Packers lost their first championship with him and afterwards he told him that they would never lose another championship again. Now that's dedication. This guy really loved football to the point where it probably affected his health, but that also explains how great his teams were. The players not only looked to him as a coach but probably a father figure too. He was a coach who demanded perfection. It didn't matter how cold it was or how hot it was, they knew it was win or get chewed out later. If only we had a coach like Lombardi back in the day. He was everything you can ask for in a coach. There were no excuses, just win or lose!

Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:45 pm
Hall of Famer

King James wrote:
But great coaches overall win championships/super bowls.

Grant won several Championships (as an NBA player with the Lakers and as a HC with the CFL). That is to take nothing away from Lombardi's legacy. (It is called the Lombardi Trophy for a reason). But to suggest that Grant never won a Championship as a coach is inaccurate. He won 4 CFL championships as a coach. If you are meaning to convey you can't be a great coach unless you win a Super Bowl then that seems unnecessarily restrictive to me.

I would say that Grant was a great coach who failed to win an NFL Super Bowl. Lomabardi was a great coach who won the first two Super Bowls (and 5 total Championships IIRC) - That speaks for itself.

Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:42 am
All Pro Elite Player

Let's also not forget that Lombardi always finished a season above .500. That also says alot. But yeah Grant was the man in the CFL. Great in the NFL, just not in the postseason. I'm not talking about super bowls either, I'm saying in the postseason overall. He is 10-12 in the postseason. Going to the post season itself is an accomplishment, especially that many times. It just bothers me that we couldn't demonstrate that same dominance in the post season. I've seen a few tapes from back in that era. Some people say that we lost to better teams. To me I think the Vikings were the better teams in most of those seasons, it's just that teams readjusted to our weakness and we made no effort to readjust ourselves.

Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:04 pm
Franchise Player

King James wrote:
Let's also not forget that Lombardi always finished a season above .500. That also says alot. But yeah Grant was the man in the CFL. Great in the NFL, just not in the postseason. I'm not talking about super bowls either, I'm saying in the postseason overall. He is 10-12 in the postseason. Going to the post season itself is an accomplishment, especially that many times. It just bothers me that we couldn't demonstrate that same dominance in the post season. I've seen a few tapes from back in that era. Some people say that we lost to better teams. To me I think the Vikings were the better teams in most of those seasons, it's just that teams readjusted to our weakness and we made no effort to readjust ourselves.

I'm with you King James, Grant was a "Great" Head coach the same way that Schottenheimer was a "Great" head coach. Regular season success does not a great coach make.

Hopefully Zimmer will be that slice of greatness we so desperately desire.

Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:06 pm
Hall of Famer

Purpnation wrote:
King James wrote:

I'm with you King James, Grant was a "Great" Head coach the same way that Schottenheimer was a "Great" head coach. Regular season success does not a great coach make.

Yeah.. except that, unlike Schottenheimer, Bud could actually win in the post season - just never the Super Bowl. It is really too bad that Bud never won a Super Bowl - the guy was a great coach. I am sure it was a fun time to watch those old Vikings teams back in the day.

Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:57 pm
Franchise Player

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:
Purpnation wrote:
King James wrote:

Yeah.. except that, unlike Schottenheimer, Bud could actually win in the post season - just never the Super Bowl. It is really too bad that Bud never won a Super Bowl - the guy was a great coach. I am sure it was a fun time to watch those old Vikings teams back in the day.

Unfortunately, post season wins don't mean ####. Great coaches win SBs, especially with the talent he had at his disposal.

Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:59 pm
All Pro Elite Player

Purpnation wrote:
Great coaches win SBs, especially with the talent he had at his disposal.

OMG, FINALLY SOMEONE WHO GETS IT!!!!!!!! I've been preaching this for the longest.

Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:08 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

r Bowl - the guy was a great coach. I am sure it was a fun time to watch those old Vikings teams back in the day.[/quote]

Unfortunately, post season wins don't mean ####. Great coaches win SBs, especially with the talent he had at his disposal.[/quote]

So Gruden and Billick should both be considered "Great Coaches" because they won a Super Bowl :nono: Not hardly :!:

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.

Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:46 am
All Pro Elite Player

Purple bruise wrote:
r Bowl - the guy was a great coach. I am sure it was a fun time to watch those old Vikings teams back in the day.

Unfortunately, post season wins don't mean ####. Great coaches win SBs, especially with the talent he had at his disposal.[/quote]

So Gruden and Billick should both be considered "Great Coaches" because they won a Super Bowl :nono: Not hardly :!:[/quote]

Gruden won off a team already built by Dungy. He reminds me of Mike Tomlin. Another guy who won off a roster already built by the previous coach. Billick only had 3 bad seasons. The GM was too impatient. He could have been great. But they got an even greater coach in Harbaugh.

Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:50 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

Gruden won off a team already built by Dungy. He reminds me of Mike Tomlin. Another guy who won off a roster already built by the previous coach. Billick only had 3 bad seasons. The GM was too impatient. He could have been great. But they got an even greater coach in Harbaugh.[/quote]
And so neither one of them were great the same goes for Tomlin, despite the fact that they all won Super Bowls. . Ergo the theory of you have to win a SB to be considered "Great" goes down the crapper :lol:

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.

Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:33 pm
Hall of Famer

Great franchises and great coaches win championships. Period.

Tonight I watched what I consider to be the greatest franchise in professional sports win another championship. Coached by one of the all-time great head coaches.

Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:05 pm
All Pro Elite Player

Purple bruise wrote:
Gruden won off a team already built by Dungy. He reminds me of Mike Tomlin. Another guy who won off a roster already built by the previous coach. Billick only had 3 bad seasons. The GM was too impatient. He could have been great. But they got an even greater coach in Harbaugh.

And so neither one of them were great the same goes for Tomlin, despite the fact that they all won Super Bowls. . Ergo the theory of you have to win a SB to be considered "Great" goes down the crapper :lol:[/quote]

You wish. They still have championships unlike in of our head coaches. And unlike Bud Grant they didn't get blowed out.

Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:28 pm
Franchise Player

Purple bruise wrote:

And so neither one of them were great the same goes for Tomlin, despite the fact that they all won Super Bowls. . Ergo the theory of you have to win a SB to be considered "Great" goes down the crapper :lol:[/quote]

Great coaches win SBs, this does not mean that all coaches who win SBs are great.

Tomlin and Billick were good coaches who won SBs, while Grant was a good coach who didn't win a SB.

Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:41 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

Purpnation wrote:
Purple bruise wrote:

And so neither one of them were great the same goes for Tomlin, despite the fact that they all won Super Bowls. . Ergo the theory of you have to win a SB to be considered "Great" goes down the crapper :lol:

Great coaches win SBs, this does not mean that all coaches who win SBs are great.

Tomlin and Billick were good coaches who won SBs, while Grant was a good coach who didn't win a SB.[/quote]

Cripes sakes, Grant was a GREAT coach that did not win a Super Bowl. :wallbang: :steamed: He is in the Hall of Fame isn't he, WTF does that mean, nothing :roll:

Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:49 pm
Franchise Player

Purple bruise wrote:
Purpnation wrote:
Purple bruise wrote:

Tomlin and Billick were good coaches who won SBs, while Grant was a good coach who didn't win a SB.

Cripes sakes, Grant was a GREAT coach that did not win a Super Bowl. :wallbang: :steamed: He is in the Hall of Fame isn't he, WTF does that mean, nothing :roll:[/quote]

And this is where we differ, I believe that if Grant was a "Great" head coach, he wouldn't have fallen short in the SB 4 times. Marty Schottenheimer and Marv Levy are in the HOF as well, and I hold them to the same standard as Bud Grant.

Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:05 pm
Hall of Famer

King James wrote:
You wish. They still have championships unlike in of our head coaches. And unlike Bud Grant they didn't get blowed out.

Since a Championship is "required" for greatness, does that mean that the 4 CFL Championships he won "don't count"? (He's in the CFL HOF too - BTW).
And Dick Vermeil must be a great coach then?

Here is an interesting web page

Chuck Noll and Vince Lombardi only won half of their games when they faced off against Grant. If Grant is only "good" I have a tough time considering Lombardi or Noll as "great" since they couldn't even win more than half the time against Grant. :P

Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:49 pm
Hall of Famer

Purpnation wrote:
And this is where we differ, I believe that if Grant was a "Great" head coach, he wouldn't have fallen short in the SB 4 times. Marty Schottenheimer and Marv Levy are in the HOF as well, and I hold them to the same standard as Bud Grant.

See my post above - Grant won 4 Championships. Canadians don't count?

Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:03 pm
Franchise Player

Just Me wrote:
Purpnation wrote:

Not on the level SBs matter, no, not even close. Winning in the Canadian league is not even half the accomplishment winning in the NFL is.

Let me clarify though, I think Grant was a great coach, but only a good NFL coach. I personally believe that a great NFL coach would have one of four SBs, especially with the talent he had at his disposal.

Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:54 pm
Hall of Famer

Purpnation wrote:
Just Me wrote:
Purpnation wrote:

Not on the level SBs matter, no, not even close. Winning in the Canadian league is not even half the accomplishment winning in the NFL is.

Let me clarify though, I think Grant was a great coach, but only a good NFL coach. I personally believe that a great NFL coach would have one of four SBs, especially with the talent he had at his disposal.

Agree to disagree, but I see where you are coming from. Just something to keep in mind, however: I wouldn't be so dismissive of the talent level in the CFL (back in Grant's day). Grant was a player for the Philiadelphia Eagles when he was in the NFL. He ended up in the CFL (in the first place) because his pay was better there at that time. (He could have stayed with the Eagles). I don't think it's debatable that the NFL is more talented today than the CFL, but I'm not sure it was as clear cut when Grant was playing (and later coaching) there. In the NFL He split his meetings against Noll and Lombardi (head to head) and actually beat Hank Stram 3 out of 4 times they met (with Grant's only loss to Stram in Grant's career being in SB 4 of course).

In full disclosure, though, the website I linked to has Grant as near the bottom of the 'great' coaches in terms of ranking (something I have no problem with - you can't expect to be in the top 10 list if you are losing 4 Super bowls - Grant was 23rd of the top 25 coaches in terms of overall winning percentage against the other top 24, with only Curly Lambeau and Sid Gillman with a worse winning percentage.)

Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:40 am
Hall of Famer

in superbowls Grant was outcoached against the Chiefs, Dophins, and raiders. Outplayed by the steeelers. watch the Games. Plain to see. Not that Grant was not great, but he did get outcoached

Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:20 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

Laserman wrote:
in superbowls Grant was outcoached against the Chiefs, Dophins, and raiders. Outplayed by the steeelers. watch the Games. Plain to see. Not that Grant was not great, but he did get outcoached

What coaching errors did he make? I have watched all of the games many times and it is quite apparent to me that the players lost those games and that had nothing to do with Grant.

Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:17 am
Hall of Famer

Purple bruise wrote:
Laserman wrote:

What coaching errors did he make? I have watched all of the games many times and it is quite apparent to me that the players lost those games and that had nothing to do with Grant.

Wow. Nothing to do with Grant? Just...... wow. :wallbang:

Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:57 am
Franchise Player

Purple bruise wrote:
Laserman wrote:

Right, because players coming out and playing like absolute #### doesn't reflect at all on the head coach. :roll:

Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:25 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

Purpnation wrote:
Purple bruise wrote:
Laserman wrote:

Right, because players coming out and playing like absolute #### doesn't reflect at all on the head coach. :roll:

Yeah blame the coach for the players getting their butts kicked :yawn: :nono: :roll:

Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next