My New Book is Out

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

DanAS
Pro Bowl Elite Player

My New Book is Out

Post by DanAS »

Friends and Fellow Vikings Fans,

I have news that hopefully you’ll find exciting (in addition to the fact that I have a new bichon puppy named Benny). My new book, "Liberating the Holy Name: A Free-Thinker Grapples with the Meaning of Divinity" is now available for purchase. The subtitle gives you a basic sense of what this book is about. In part, I’m sharing my deepest insights about the topic of God, something I’ve been wrestling with my entire life. But this is not an academic treatise by a pseudo-objective mind. As much as it’s a work of philosophy or theology, it’s also a memoir and a deeply personal statement about how I’ve been turned on and off by religion over the course of time. Despite the fact that the book is largely a personal statement, I am happy to say that it has received endorsements from numerous prominent religious leaders who don’t know me from Adam.

On my website, you can find a ton of information about this book, including how to order it. Just go to www.danielspiro.com. (There's a link to WIpf and Stock; ordering it there and using the code "Spiro" yields the cheapest price, which is $16.80 plus shipping.) If you like the book, or even if you don’t, please feel free to post a review on Amazon.com or drop me a line. I don’t write these kinds of books to get rich (thankfully, since I’d otherwise be insane), but nor do I write them just for myself; it’s always nice to hear that they make a difference in someone’s life, however small.

Take care. Have a great summer. And get ready for at least SOME kind of improvement over 5-10-1.

Dan
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: My New Book is Out

Post by vikeinmontana »

:shock:

read your bio and you are brilliant. how you became a vikes fan is beyond me...

congrats on the new book! :thumbsup:
i'm ready for a beer.
DanAS
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by DanAS »

vikeinmontana wrote::shock:

Brilliant I'm not, but long-suffering I am!
Kansas Viking
Starship Commander

Post by Kansas Viking »

Congratulations Dan. Quite an accomplishment.
Mike

DanAS
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by DanAS »

Kansas Viking wrote:Congratulations Dan. Quite an accomplishment.
Thanks, Mike
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I will give it look .. I liked the last one

Now that's funny ... Vikings fan's what a diverse and sad lot we are ... :point:

Oh Dan, being an IVY league guy I saw something, you might think is funny.
I walked over the Wal-Mart grocery store and saw a beat to hell Isuzu Trooper
with a BROWN University sticker in the rear passenger window. I figured man if
you went to BROWN and your driving a twenty year old lemon Trooper 2(i had one BTW)
There is a walking advertisement for a refund on your tuition fees.. :nono: :point:
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
DanAS
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by DanAS »

jackal wrote:
Oh Dan, being an IVY league guy I saw something, you might think is funny.
I walked over the Wal-Mart grocery store and saw a beat to hell Isuzu Trooper
with a BROWN University sticker in the rear passenger window. I figured man if
you went to BROWN and your driving a twenty year old lemon Trooper 2(i had one BTW)
There is a walking advertisement for a refund on your tuition fees.. :nono: :point:
Actually, there are probably expensive "elite colleges" whose students find themselves more inclined to avoid lucrative professions and to pursue academia, public interest work and the like. My daughter attends Carleton College in Northfield, MN which may indeed fall into that category.

I've always thought that as Ivy League colleges go, Brown may be a bit more hippy-dippy than the rest, though admittedly that's not saying much.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

If i had to pick, I would say Northwestern and Stanford; would be my two, top choices.

The trooper made it much more funny to me, because of my personal experience, with
the vehicle.
DanAS
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by DanAS »

jackal wrote:If i had to pick, I would say Northwestern and Stanford; would be my two, top choices.

The trooper made it much more funny to me, because of my personal experience, with
the vehicle.
NU and SU are similar schools -- similar sizes, great academics, competitive sports.

One huge difference, of course, is the weather. Boy do I miss that Palo Alto weather. It's quite amazing.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

One huge difference, of course, is the weather. Boy do I miss that Palo Alto weather. It's quite amazing.
yeah I was born in San Pablo real close to SF... Its very nice weather, especially in the summer...