Adrian Peterson needs to stop talking to the media

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

UltraNasty850
Backup

Re: Adrian Peterson needs to stop talking to the media

Post by UltraNasty850 »

He has been the best RB (maybe best player) in the NFL since 2007. He has only reached the playoffs a few times and has gotten close once. He has the right to say what he wants. The minute you start to doubt him he will kick you right in the gut.

Trust me, we would be begging to have him back if he was in a different locker room saying these things.

He speaks the truth for the most part. He is the best RB and numbers don't lie. The day he believes he ISN'T the best in the NFL will be a very sad day.

Keep it up, AP!

SKOL!
Twitter - @Andy_FA_

Bleed Purple
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

Here is an interesting article on Peterson and where he stands on the all time rushing list.
Viking Update wrote: Passing seven of the game’s best running backs was impressive last year, but Peterson is preparing to pass a lot of players who have longevity and career-achievement awards for the franchises they made their legacy with. If Peterson has a 1,000-yard season, he will go from 27th to the top 20. Depending on what Jackson does in 2014, if Peterson has the kind of 1,500-yard season he expects, he could pass 10 or more legends on his climb.
and
Viking Update wrote:If Peterson gains 3,000 yards over the next two seasons, he will enter the Vikings new stadium in eighth place on the all-time rushing list with the opportunity to make it into the top four by the end of the 2016 season
More at the link
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

I do agree with his comparison to football to slavery. That's the only time you will see thousands of Caucasian people adore and praise that many African Americans. True enough they get paid a lot of money but it's the concept of it all. These players have to go through a lot for good paycheck. Getting to the NFL is a rough journey in itself and staying in is probably even rougher. Many have to go through many games fighting through pain. But hey it is what it is.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

King James wrote:I do agree with his comparison to football to slavery. That's the only time you will see thousands of Caucasian people adore and praise that many African Americans. True enough they get paid a lot of money but it's the concept of it all. These players have to go through a lot for good paycheck. Getting to the NFL is a rough journey in itself and staying in is probably even rougher. Many have to go through many games fighting through pain. But hey it is what it is.
Equating guys getting paid hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars for something they're *choosing* to do (and actually worked very hard to have an opportunity to do) doesn't seem very close to slavery to me. I thought slavery was where you forced someone to do work for free and then punished them if they didn't comply (Ok, ok ... so maybe NCAA football is kind of like slavery ... ).

What do thousands of Caucasian people adoring and praising African Americans have to do with slavery? Was that going on a lot during slavery? Or do you mean like Roman gladiator stuff? If so, I think those slaves were much more diverse if the movie Gladiator is any indication. Plus you're completely discounting the multitudes of non-African American players.

I guess if you strain really hard and squint your eyes (and maybe bash yourself in the head a few times) you can pull slavery out of that somewhere.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

King James wrote:I do agree with his comparison to football to slavery. That's the only time you will see thousands of Caucasian people adore and praise that many African Americans. True enough they get paid a lot of money but it's the concept of it all. These players have to go through a lot for good paycheck. Getting to the NFL is a rough journey in itself and staying in is probably even rougher. Many have to go through many games fighting through pain. But hey it is what it is.

Life is about choices. Slaves had no choice. I find it baffling that anyone would believe someone who chooses to subject themselves to a difficult (or any) activity and is usually handsomely paid for it is a situation somehow akin to slavery. Bottom line: an NFL player can choose to walk-away at any time (many have done so), but a slave could not. It's just a poor comparison and diminishes the horrible conditions that actual slaves experienced. The military would be a closer comparison, and that is even a poor one. The military personnel volunteer for their service. Even in the days of the draft, military personnel were paid for their service. Slaves were not paid, they were considered property. I think that was actually the comparison that Peterson was trying to make, but it was just a poor one; he can walk away from the NFL whenever he wishes and won't be killed or imprisoned. He is not the NFL's property. He's no more a slave to his job than I was to mine.
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

This is where you are wrong my friends. You have to dig deeper than that. I'm singling out African Americans because they are the predominant race when it comes to football. Slavery in a way still exist today, it's more mental than physical. Let me explain where I'm going with this.

Many African Americans grow up in middle to lower class neighborhoods. In some of these neighborhoods, they grow up around certain lifestyles. Rap Music and Television in my opinion plays a big role in the minds of many black people. Rap music promotes being very very wealthy as the only sign of being worth something in life, and if you broke or less wealthy, they look down on you. TV is the same way. Granted you have black people who are going to college, have great grades, and are having successful careers. You don't hear about those people. What you mainly see from black ppl on TV is rap music, sports, and your local news station.

Many of these young men grow up thinking the only way they will be something in life is if they play sports so they can make millions of dollars. When many of these kids get in trouble they use sports as the only outlet to keep them out of jail. Look at guys like Michael Oher for the Baltimore Ravens. I know you all seen that movie The Blind Side. You can't tell me that that white family would have took him in if he didn't play football. He wasn't the brightest either but he was a heck of a football player and taught him enough to keep him in academic good standing.

Many players like him aren't that smart but are great football players. I'm in college now, do you not know a lot of these players get free grades just so they can stay on the team??? That's why a lot of these players speak so poorly during interviews. All a lot of them know is football and not much else.

And yes they can leave the game if they want. But where are they gonna go???? Back to the hood. Why because they're not playing football anymore so these teachers are not gonna bend their backs for these guys anymore. That's why I feel bad for guys who skip their senior year to go to the NFL. Football is all a lot of guys have. Without it they be either in the streets, in jail, or dead. Society has these men thinking that sports is the ticket to a good life. You don't see people promoting academic scholarships to blacks as hard as they are throwing out these sports scholarships. This is what I like to call modernize slavery. While they are not being held in chains and beat to a pulp. Their brains are being manipulated.
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

Smh
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Here is a list of Rappers that I guess some (at least one person) would/could catagorize as slaves, to me it is the same flawed logic as calling NFL players as much..

#18 Nelly – Net Worth $55 Million
#17 Busta Rhymes – Net Worth $60 Million
#16 Ludacris – Net Worth $65 Million
#15 Beastie Boys – Net Worth $75 Million Each
#14 Timbaland – Net Worth $75 Million
#13 Pharrell Williams – Net Worth $77.5 Million
#12 Tie between LL Cool J and Akon – Net Worth $80 Million
#11 Kanye West – Net Worth $90 Million
#10 Lil Wayne – Net Worth $95 Million
#9 Ice Cube – Net Worth $100 Million
#8 Snoop Dogg – Net Worth $110 Million
#7 Birdman – Net Worth $115 Million
#6 Eminem – Net Worth $120 Million
#5 50 Cent – Net Worth $250 Million
#4 Dr. Dre – Net Worth $260 Million
#3 Master P – Net Worth $350 Million
#2 Jay-Z – Net Worth $475 Million
#1 Diddy – Net Worth $500 Million
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

King James wrote: Look at guys like Michael Oher for the Baltimore Ravens. I know you all seen that movie The Blind Side. You can't tell me that that white family would have took him in if he didn't play football.
I not only am telling you that can happen, I know of a "real world" example of a Caucasian family that adopted a 'special needs' African-American boy. Brandon (last name withheld) is a great kid, and he and his father have a great relationship. Football (or any other possibility of monetary gain) doesn't even factor into it. It's these kind of 'blanket perceptions' that are at the roots of racism.

Instead of seeing people through the lens of 'what a race should (or would) do', try looking at them as individuals. The roots of racism are the classification of a group based on their race, and on their perceived actions (as a collective group). When you get a little more 'seasoning' in life you'll find there are plenty of people who can fit a stereotype, but there are also many (I would argue many more) who do not. Judge a man by the content of his character, not the color of his skin. :wink:
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

frosted21 wrote:Smh
Seriously. Talk about a bait post :?
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

Just Me wrote: I not only am telling you that can happen, I know of a "real world" example of a Caucasian family that adopted a 'special needs' African-American boy. Brandon (last name withheld) is a great kid, and he and his father have a great relationship. Football (or any other possibility of monetary gain) doesn't even factor into it. It's these kind of 'blanket perceptions' that are at the roots of racism.

Yeah one special needs black kid out of many others. Did this "real world" couple you knew about have make it in your local news channel or new station? You know because some people do things only for the recognition that comes with it. Kinda reminds me of AJ McCarron and his stories back here in Alabama. Yeah AJ McCarron, the guy that I ranted on and on about during the drafting process. U of A is probably one of the most racist schools I ever seen. Granted that blacks who don't play sports attend that school but black athletes don't have to go through the prejudices of the people there. Like for instance, many blacks are denied entries into parties on their campuses UNLESS they play sports. There is a documentary on that actually, I will have to go find it. So back to McCarron. During his career, you would often see him in little off-field documentaries with two people. A black cancer survivor by the name of Starla Chapman and AJ Starr, a black man who has cerebral palsy. Now while I'm not denying that AJ doesn't have a good heart, the amount of attention those two stories out was just all for publicity for the college. To show people they have a "heart" towards blacks.

I'm not trying to even get on the topic of racism because we all know it still exist. My point earlier was clarifying that football is similar to slavery. Why are so many of these players so broke after football. Lack of education. They get their minds so wrapped around football and people aren't teaching them the life they must live outside of it. Some are smart to finish school with a good degree because they know football isn't forever. Then you have the majority who get some #### degree because they figure "My real job is gonna be playing for the NFL so let me just pick something I can coast through in college!" These men are being tricked. 10 years of putting their bodies through hell and the only ones who are making real profit without the suffering are the owners.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

King James wrote:
Yeah one special needs black kid out of many others.
The point was: You said that "white family" would not. I gave you a "real world example" of one who would. You are incorrect, sir.

King Janmes wrote:Did this "real world" couple you knew about have make it in your local news channel or new station? You know because some people do things only for the recognition that comes with it. Kinda reminds me of AJ McCarron and his stories back here in Alabama.
No, he/they did not. If you're dead set on believing what you wish to believe, regardless of the facts that dispute your preconceived notions, I can't stop you, but neither will I continue to discuss this with you. It seems to me that any facts that presented will not reconcile with your predetermined conclusions. I'll not perpetuate the conversation any longer. Good day, sir.
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

Predetermined conclusions, more like notions that had happened from experience and observation. You are probably not African American anyway, so what I'm talking about doesn't affect you or your culture. If I were white, I would probably be the same way. Why would I care? Me and my family would probably live good like all the others so why bother concern myself with issues like this?

I'm not denying any facts, I am not saying there aren't any good people in the world. You named one family out of the majority of people I claimed that wouldn't care to look at a black person unless they were playing sports. You also didn't deny the fact that Michael Oher was simply taken in by that white family to play football. But it's okay, you don't want to talk about it anymore. That's the American way after all. Cover up things like racism and when people like me try to spread the hard truth we're look down on as foolish, crazy, and etc. I'm not saying that you think that way but that's the overall perception of the majority. Maybe you're a little naive but it is what it is. I live in Alabama, one of the most prejudice states in the country. I know racism when it's presented.

That being said, Peterson should continue to talk to the media whenever he sees fit. That is what's wrong with this country now. We're slowly being denied of our amendments. We can't say what we want without the media twisting it up and making it sound worse than it was actually presented. Peterson is just speaking. Atleast he's not like Chris Kluwe, trying to give people a bad rep just because they don't support gays.
Purpnation
Franchise Player

Post by Purpnation »

King James wrote:Predetermined conclusions, more like notions that had happened from experience and observation. You are probably not African American anyway, so what I'm talking about doesn't affect you or your culture. If I were white, I would probably be the same way. Why would I care? Me and my family would probably live good like all the others so why bother concern myself with issues like this?

I'm not denying any facts, I am not saying there aren't any good people in the world. You named one family out of the majority of people I claimed that wouldn't care to look at a black person unless they were playing sports. You also didn't deny the fact that Michael Oher was simply taken in by that white family to play football. But it's okay, you don't want to talk about it anymore. That's the American way after all. Cover up things like racism and when people like me try to spread the hard truth we're look down on as foolish, crazy, and etc. I'm not saying that you think that way but that's the overall perception of the majority. Maybe you're a little naive but it is what it is. I live in Alabama, one of the most prejudice states in the country. I know racism when it's presented.

That being said, Peterson should continue to talk to the media whenever he sees fit. That is what's wrong with this country now. We're slowly being denied of our amendments. We can't say what we want without the media twisting it up and making it sound worse than it was actually presented. Peterson is just speaking. Atleast he's not like Chris Kluwe, trying to give people a bad rep just because they don't support gays.
Your ignorance is amazing, a white family cant take in a troubled black youth unless it is for personal gain? Get the #### outta here, that is some racist #### bruh.

Your perception is skewed by living in a notoriously ignorant area such as Alabama, and from reading the asinine crap your spewing here, I can see that the reputation that precedes it, may not be very far off base.

These guys make millions of dollars, they often live the balla lifestyle that many of us only wish we could live, saying they are even relatively similar to "Modern day slaves" shows you have absolutely no respect, and or understanding of your own races difficult history of oppression. It pains me to see people such as you, who so blatantly disrespect the struggles of our forerunners.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Alright I think this topic has been derailed enough. Take it to PMs if you guys want to discuss it further.