Master 2013-14 College QB thread

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Re: Master 2013-14 College QB thread

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Mothman wrote: LOL! You are SO angry.... watch your blood pressure. :)

I think we would have heard this stuff even if the draft hadn't been pushed back. What's interesting about the Bridgewater story now is that there's been a bit of a "bounce back" to analysts rating hims as a top 10 player and one of the top QBs in the draft.

At this point, I'm convinced at least one of the following of two things is going to happen, perhaps both:

1.) At least 2 QBs will go in the top 10 because the prevailing thinking has gradually shifted away from that, even to the point where some analysts don't think any QBs will go in the top 10 and perhaps only two will be drafted in the first round.

2.) There's been so much talk about how the QBs in this draft aren't worthy of a really high pick that it will probably end up being the strongest QB class in years in terms of actual NFL success.

I'm half-joking, of course, but it wouldn't surprise me if it works out that way.

Lol. Ironically, I had my blood pressure read today. 113/69. So don't worry, I am good there!

I am more just sick of the pre-draft BS right now than anything. I just want this thing to happen already. I LOVE the NFL draft, but even I cannot take this speculation anymore.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:Lol. Ironically, I had my blood pressure read today. 113/69. So don't worry, I am good there!
That is good. It's been a long time since I've had a blood pressure reading that low.
I am more just sick of the pre-draft BS right now than anything. I just want this thing to happen already. I LOVE the NFL draft, but even I cannot take this speculation anymore.
I'm burnt out on it too. Bring on the actual draft!
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote:
I still don't buy that the NFL scouting community did not once embrace Teddy Bridgewater as the best quarterback in the draft at one point in time. Obviously, the media and NFL scouting community vastly differ when it comes to college player opinions - that is why scouts scout and analysts analyze. However, usually the media doesn't just anoint players as the 'best in the draft' without viewing the opinions of NFL scouts.

The NFL is a copycat league. Just as Teddy Bridgewater was once embraced by all, he is now being shoved aside by all because ostracism is the 'popular opinion' right now.

Whatever. If we don't take Bridgewater at eight, I sure hope we trade up for him.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

How seriously do teams take the QB position? See below. If I was the Browns, I'd spend that much or more to get it right. Though, frankly, it'd be pretty hilarious if they got it wrong.

Teddy Bridgewater - QB - Player

The Browns reportedly conducted an "expensive and thorough analytics study" before the draft that "ultimately pointed to" Teddy Bridgewater showing the "best success rate" in the 2014 quarterback class.

Per CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora, the $100,000 study was spearheaded by club president Alec Scheiner. The team commissioned "decades of successful NFL quarterbacks" and took into consideration "all sorts of variables," while incorporating both "film review and advanced metrics." La Canfora reports analytics are "taken very seriously within the Browns' organization," and believes Bridgewater could be in play for Cleveland at the Nos. 26 and 35 overall picks.
Source: CBS Sports
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

dead_poet wrote:How seriously do teams take the QB position? See below. If I was the Browns, I'd spend that much or more to get it right. Though, frankly, it'd be pretty hilarious if they got it wrong.

Teddy Bridgewater - QB - Player

The Browns reportedly conducted an "expensive and thorough analytics study" before the draft that "ultimately pointed to" Teddy Bridgewater showing the "best success rate" in the 2014 quarterback class.

Per CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora, the $100,000 study was spearheaded by club president Alec Scheiner. The team commissioned "decades of successful NFL quarterbacks" and took into consideration "all sorts of variables," while incorporating both "film review and advanced metrics." La Canfora reports analytics are "taken very seriously within the Browns' organization," and believes Bridgewater could be in play for Cleveland at the Nos. 26 and 35 overall picks.
And how did this get out, a day before the draft? :twisted:
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

dead_poet wrote: Per CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora, the $100,000 study was spearheaded by club president Alec Scheiner. The team commissioned "decades of successful NFL quarterbacks" and took into consideration "all sorts of variables," while incorporating both "film review and advanced metrics." La Canfora reports analytics are "taken very seriously within the Browns' organization," and believes Bridgewater could be in play for Cleveland at the Nos. 26 and 35 overall picks.
La Canfora sounds like the Onion of sports reporting, with the only difference being that he is actually trying to be serious.

They use "film review and advanced metrics"? "Analytics" are taken very seriously in the Browns organization? :lol:

What do other teams do? Have a group of monkeys throwing darts at prospects' pictures? I guess that would be cheaper, and possibly more effective, than the Browns "deep analytics" outlined above.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:What do other teams do? Have a group of monkeys throwing darts at prospects' pictures?

:rofl: If I were an NFL GM, that's what I'd do and since it was your idea, I'd hire you to implement the "monkey plan" (also known as monkey metrics). We'd probably take the draft and the league by storm and be the subject of a film named Monkey Ball.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Mothman wrote:

:rofl: If I were an NFL GM, that's what I'd do and since it was your idea, I'd hire you to implement the "monkey plan" (also known as monkey metrics). We'd probably take the draft and the league by storm and be the subject of a film named Monkey Ball.
We could revolutionize the game! And the royalties from the film would really make us rich!

Let me know when you get that job, Jim! In the meantime, I'll keep fine tuning my elaborate methods.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote: We could revolutionize the game! And the royalties from the film would really make us rich!

Let me know when you get that job, Jim! In the meantime, I'll keep fine tuning my elaborate methods.
Yes, please hire some good scouts to help us choose the best monkeys available (or BMA).

Meanwhile, I'll get to work on becoming an NFL GM. How hard can it be?

I can't wait to be rich!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

ESPN's Ron Jaworski predicted Johnny Manziel will fall out of 1st round altogether. Predicted Carr & Bortles will be only 2 1st-round QBs.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

fiestavike wrote: he he he...this is going to be a fun draft.
Yep. The insanity just keeps amping up.

Moth! BMA cracked me up! Not all monkeys throw darts w/ the same accuracy. I'll keep my eyes open. Can't wait to be rich AND famous.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:Moth! BMA cracked me up! Not all monkeys throw darts w/ the same accuracy. I'll keep my eyes open. Can't wait to be rich AND famous.
I hear it's fun. :)

I'm glad you liked BMA. I was proud of that one!