Vikings Message Board User Mock Drafts

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Re: Vikings Message Board User Mock Drafts

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

MrPurplenGold wrote: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... alo-bills/
I think other teams could be looking at Buffalo taking a tackle if this situation occurred. There's going to be more value in a OT than there will be in a TE. I don't think the Bills would go TE at #9 when they have a need at tackle as well. If both Evans and Watkins are off the board, teams could be thinking Detroit needs a tackle as well and the Vikings would be a good spot for teams to move up to. The Giants desperately need O-Line help and I think for a 1st, 3rd and 6th the Vikings would be willing to make that call. The Vikings would then have 3-3rd round picks which would give them plenty ammunition to move back into the 1st round if someone like a Kyle Fuller fell towards the bottom of the first round

You are correct about the Bills and needing tackle help. I have had Jake Matthews/Greg Robinson being selected by them in previous mock drafts I did.

I am still not sure how Lewan is truly valued by the league. Last year, when he was considering coming out, many experts had him ranked behind Joeckel, but ahead of Fisher and Johnson. Coming into this past college football season, Lewan was essentially the number one tackle, and was neck in neck with Jake Matthews. Now Lewan is considered the third best tackle. Lewan is more of finesse tackle and would be better suited for the left side. This is not to say he could excel at right tackle, but seeing the struggles of both Joeckel and Fisher at right tackle, it would be fair to wonder if teams are hesitant to draft left tackle players that are high draft picks only to play them at right tackle.

Anyway, my point is that Lewan's stock is anywhere from being a top ten pick to being a top 20 pick. Given the quality of this draft, I am not sure if teams would be willing to trade up for Lewan. Then again, all it takes is one team to fall in love with a player to want to move up. One has to believe that if Lewan is available with the 12th pick that New York will strongly consider drafting him. Does that mean New York will trade up for him? I am not sure.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

http://walterfootball.com/Mocks/Mock/16714/1

This is version eight of my mock draft (I skipped posting the seventh version of my mock here).

I appreciate all and any feedback. Thank you.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:http://walterfootball.com/Mocks/Mock/16714/1

This is version eight of my mock draft (I skipped posting the seventh version of my mock here).

I appreciate all and any feedback. Thank you.
HATE IT

Okay, only because you have the two guys I want going to the Seahawks and 49ers. :wink: At least Verrett and Van Noy are still available. If you extended it out a little, who would you mock to the Vikings in the 2nd?
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

S197 wrote: HATE IT

Okay, only because you have the two guys I want going to the Seahawks and 49ers. :wink: At least Verrett and Van Noy are still available. If you extended it out a little, who would you mock to the Vikings in the 2nd?
Man, in the second it gets tough.

One would hope that guys like Jason Verrett, Van Noy, Trent Murphy, Marcus Smith, Jimmie Ward, and Keith McGil are around. I fully expect that at least one potential first round fringe player will fall to us in the second round.
MrPurplenGold
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by MrPurplenGold »

Updated with new picks
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

MrPurplenGold wrote:Scenario 1

1. Houston - Jadaveon Clowney
2. ST Louis - Greg Robinson
3. Jax - Sammy Watkins
4 Cleveland - Johnny manziel
5 Oakland - khalil mack
6 Atlanta - Jake Matthews
7 Tampa - Mike Evans
8 Vikings - Blake Bortles

Scenario 2

1. Atlanta trade with Houston- jadaveon clowney
3. Jax - Sammie Watkins
4 Cleveland - Johnny Manziel
5 Oakland - khalil mack
6 Houston from Atlanta - Blake Bortles
7 Tampa - Mike Evans
8 Vikings - ha ha Clinton Dix
I think these scenarios are quite realistic. However, I just don't see St. Louis drafting an offensive tackle with the second overall pick. I believe that Sammy Watkins is just too great of a talent for St. Louis to pass. I have also been reading that St. Louis may take Khalil Mack. A linebacking corps of Mack, James Laurinaitis, and Alec Olgetree would be very, very scary.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote: I think these scenarios are quite realistic. However, I just don't see St. Louis drafting an offensive tackle with the second overall pick. I believe that Sammy Watkins is just too great of a talent for St. Louis to pass. I have also been reading that St. Louis may take Khalil Mack. A linebacking corps of Mack, James Laurinaitis, and Alec Olgetree would be very, very scary.
I would be stunned and not very happy, if the Vikings spent their 1st round pick on Dix.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
MrPurplenGold
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by MrPurplenGold »

Purple bruise wrote: I would be stunned and not very happy, if the Vikings spent their 1st round pick on Dix.
The weakest area on the Vikings defense last year was their pass defense. Zimmers defense is a stop the run first type of defense. The MLB position in his defense is a downhill run defender. I don't think schematically it's necessary to fill that role with the 8th overall pick. They could always draft Gilbert or Dennard and set up the CB position for years to come. I just look at how 2 impact safeties on the Seahawks defense affected how effective teams could be in the passing game and can imagine a situation like this with the Vikings. 2 impact safeties could allow the Vikings to work out of their base defense more frequently giving them tons of flexibility.
MrPurplenGold
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by MrPurplenGold »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote: I think these scenarios are quite realistic. However, I just don't see St. Louis drafting an offensive tackle with the second overall pick. I believe that Sammy Watkins is just too great of a talent for St. Louis to pass. I have also been reading that St. Louis may take Khalil Mack. A linebacking corps of Mack, James Laurinaitis, and Alec Olgetree would be very, very scary.
Protecting Sam Bradford has been their publicized number 1 priority. Jake Long is coming off ACL surgery and Saffold failed a physical with the raiders which is why he is back with the Rams. Analysts are suggesting Saffold could move to guard and you'd have 2 bookend tackles or you could trade jake long and let Robinson man the left side.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Here is the ninth (and second to last version) of my 2014 mock draft.

http://walterfootball.com/Mocks/Mock/17957

I appreciate all feed-back. Thanks everyone.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:Here is the ninth (and second to last version) of my 2014 mock draft.

Interesting. Seems like in both rounds the Vikings may have missed out on "their guy" by one pick. Certainly a possibility.

That's the hard part about not taking a QB in the 1st. Everyone knows the Vikings need a QB so passing on one in the 1st round almost assures they will take one in the 2nd leaving them with little leverage.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

S197 wrote: Interesting. Seems like in both rounds the Vikings may have missed out on "their guy" by one pick. Certainly a possibility.

That's the hard part about not taking a QB in the 1st. Everyone knows the Vikings need a QB so passing on one in the 1st round almost assures they will take one in the 2nd leaving them with little leverage.
Personally, if I was drafting, I would have taken Bridgewater at eight over Anthony Barr. However, when one makes a mock draft, they cannot necessarily use personal bias. I truly believe Minnesota is too scared to draft a quarterback at eight. That line of thinking could comeback to bite them come draft day.

Also, if the draft played out this way (which, let's be honest, it won't) I would MUCH rather have Jimmy Garpollo over Zach Mettenberger seven days out of the week.
MrPurplenGold
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by MrPurplenGold »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:Here is the ninth (and second to last version) of my 2014 mock draft.

I just can't see the Rams taking Watkins after they drafted Tavon Austin last year plus their offensive line struggles and their poor secondary at both the CB and safety position
MrPurplenGold
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by MrPurplenGold »

Scenario 1

1. Houston - Jadaveon Clowney
3. Jax - Sammy Watkins
4 Cleveland - Johnny manziel
5 Oakland - Jake Matthews
6 Atlanta - khalil mack
7 Tampa - Mike Evans
8 Vikings - Blake Bortles

Scenario 2

1. Atlanta trade with Houston- jadaveon clowney
3. Jax - Sammy Watkins
4 Cleveland - Johnny Manziel
5 Oakland - Jake Matthews
6 Houston from Atlanta - Blake Bortles
7 Tampa - Mike Evans
8 Vikings - khalil mack

Other Vikings picks
2nd Mettenberger QB/Kyle van Noy OLB if pick is Bortles
3rd Stanley jean baptiste CB
3rd trai Turner OG
4th ethan Westbrook DE
5th max bullough MLB
6th de'anthony Thomas RB
7th garret Gilbert QB
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

MrPurplenGold wrote:
I just can't see the Rams taking Watkins after they drafted Tavon Austin last year plus their offensive line struggles and their poor secondary at both the CB and safety position
You are absolutely right, as great as Watkins could be/is, Tavon Austin fills that same position and might even be better. They need to and probably will shore up their O-line.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.