Master 2013-14 College QB thread

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Master 2013-14 College QB thread

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:Wow.

:lol:

At this point, I think these guys are just putting comments out there to get hits/attention/whatever. Sure, that's a possibility and it's also possible that Garoppolo will be the first pick in the draft but it's not likely to happen.

I think some team or teams out there really wants Bridgewater and they've managed to get the disinformation machine chugging along at full power.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

dead_poet wrote:Wow.
Speechless.

I really hope that where ever Bridgewater goes he makes every other team suffer for passing on him.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:Speechless.

I really hope that where ever Bridgewater goes he makes every other team suffer for passing on him.
At this point, nobody has passed on him at all. You're letting pre-draft BS get you all riled up when Bridgewater could still end up being drafted in the top 5 picks. SI.com still has him rated as thetop player in the draft.

Remember, all of these projections and reports are speculative. :)
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Mothman wrote: At this point, nobody has passed on him at all. You're letting pre-draft BS get you all riled up when Bridgewater could still end up being drafted in the top 5 picks. SI.com still has him rated as thetop player in the draft.

Remember, all of these projections and reports are speculative. :)
Sorry. I am just a little on edge. It is a combination of finals upcoming, university obligations, and the fact that the freaking draft is STILL over a week away is getting to me! :|

The reason I am reacting to this the way I have been is because Teddy Bridgewater is facing very uncharted territory as it pertains to his draft stock. Honestly, I have never seen one guy's stock drop so significantly for no good reason whatsoever. I just feel like the guy is getting a raw deal.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:Sorry. I am just a little on edge. It is a combination of finals upcoming, university obligations, and the fact that the freaking draft is STILL over a week away is getting to me! :|
LOL! That last reason made me laugh. Good luck with your finals!

... and please, no need to apologize. I can tell you're on edge so I keep trying to find encouraging assessments of Bridgewater's ability and draft rankings to take the edge off. :)
The reason I am reacting to this the way I have been is because Teddy Bridgewater is facing very uncharted territory as it pertains to his draft stock. Honestly, I have never seen one guy's stock drop so significantly for no good reason whatsoever. I just feel like the guy is getting a raw deal.
It is odd. Usually, when you see a drop like this, it's the result of news about off-the-field issues or something. Honestly, that's why I think there truly might be a team or teams who really want Bridgewater getting some disinformation out there. After all this, he'll probably end up going early anyway. :lol:
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Moth's theory is one possibility. Another is simply that Mayock (and others) saw a red flag at Teddy's pro day, went back to the film and saw some legit concerns. I didn't watch too many of his games, but the tape I have watched didn't impress me too terribly. His receivers often looked wide open and his throwing motion is awkward--with a wrist flip that seems to slow his release.

We'll have our answer in a little over a week! Finally.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:Moth's theory is one possibility. Another is simply that Mayock (and others) saw a red flag at Teddy's pro day, went back to the film and saw some legit concerns. I didn't watch too many of his games, but the tape I have watched didn't impress me too terribly. His receivers often looked wide open and his throwing motion is awkward--with a wrist flip that seems to slow his release.

We'll have our answer in a little over a week! Finally.
I can't wait!

By the way, guys, maybe media momentum is swinging back in Teddy's direction. Here's another example:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl- ... chise-with
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Zach Mettenberger shaped by rocky road to 2014 NFL Draft

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap20000 ... ters_breer
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Derek Carr - QB - Bulldogs

ESPN Stats & Information reports that Fresno State's Derek Carr completed only 30.9 percent of his passes when under duress in 2013.

This number is terrifying for a few reasons. First off, it's the lowest duress rate of any top quarterback prospect. Second, NFL QBs completed 41.5 percent of passes when under duress last year. Only three NFL QBS had a duress percentage lower than Carr's collegiate rate. We don't need to explain the difference between NFL edge rushers and those found in the Mountain West Conference.
Source: ESPN Insider
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:Derek Carr - QB - Bulldogs

ESPN Stats & Information reports that Fresno State's Derek Carr completed only 30.9 percent of his passes when under duress in 2013.

This number is terrifying for a few reasons. First off, it's the lowest duress rate of any top quarterback prospect. Second, NFL QBs completed 41.5 percent of passes when under duress last year. Only three NFL QBS had a duress percentage lower than Carr's collegiate rate. We don't need to explain the difference between NFL edge rushers and those found in the Mountain West Conference.
Source: ESPN Insider
Thanks for the info. It certainly doesn't sound good but unfortunately, it ends up being another somewhat meaningless stat without context. How are they defining "duress"? Why were the passes incomplete? How many of those passes were thrown away because he was under pressure? How many were dropped?
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Mothman wrote: LOL! That last reason made me laugh. Good luck with your finals!

... and please, no need to apologize. I can tell you're on edge so I keep trying to find encouraging assessments of Bridgewater's ability and draft rankings to take the edge off. :)
It is odd. Usually, when you see a drop like this, it's the result of news about off-the-field issues or something. Honestly, that's why I think there truly might be a team or teams who really want Bridgewater getting some disinformation out there. After all this, he'll probably end up going early anyway. :lol:
I appreciate it Jim!

Anyway, as it pertains to Bridgewater, it is obvious I am a huge fan. PurlpePride's stat about the blitz backs up exactly what I having been saying about Teddy. The guy 'gets it.' Honestly, I think if Teddy was drafted here, got to sit behind Matt Cassel, and learn the offense he could shine for us. I know that is the overall goal for any quarterback we draft, but I mean, Teddy sitting could have an Aaron Rodgers effect for us. That is how good I believe Teddy will be as a quarterback in the NFL.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:I appreciate it Jim!

Anyway, as it pertains to Bridgewater, it is obvious I am a huge fan. PurlpePride's stat about the blitz backs up exactly what I having been saying about Teddy. The guy 'gets it.' Honestly, I think if Teddy was drafted here, got to sit behind Matt Cassel, and learn the offense he could shine for us. I know that is the overall goal for any quarterback we draft, but I mean, Teddy sitting could have an Aaron Rodgers effect for us. That is how good I believe Teddy will be as a quarterback in the NFL.
That's high praise indeed!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

A take on Carr from Ben Goessling, Matt Williamson (a former scout for the Browns) and Louis Riddick, former director of pro personnel for the Eagles and the Redskins:

Expert's take: Derek Carr
Pros: Carr showed an ability to make all the throws required of a NFL quarterback, and of any passer in this draft, Riddick said, Carr is the one whose resume fits best with what Turner will want. "He's going to want a guy who can hit those 15-, 20-, 25-yard dig routes, the deep post, the go route, the deep comeback on the outside -- which is really the hardest throw to make in the NFL," Riddick said. "To me, the one guy who can really do that, if you look at some of his older film when he was running a pro-style offense in college, is Derek Carr. Now, is Derek Carr supposed to go that high? Is he supposed to be a top-10 pick in the draft? No, he's not. But he is the guy who can really do it." His arm is probably strong enough, and his release quick enough, to handle much of what Turner wants.

Cons: Williamson's biggest concern with Carr was how the quarterback handles pressure, and at times in college, Carr had a tendency to overshoot some off-balance throws. Playing behind the Vikings' offensive line, he isn't likely to spend a great deal of time under fire, but every NFL quarterback has to throw under duress at times, and the best ones can be accurate on the run.
There's more at the link and more in the "cons" dept., mainly about Carr spending his time in the shotgun the last couple years.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... a-starter/
With the bizarre disconnect between the media’s pre-Combine love of Teddy Bridgewater to the pre-draft belief by some of the most plugged in draft experts that Bridgewater will slide out of round one entirely, we’ve decided to try to figure out what teams think of the guy.

And while the reality is that every team could have a vastly different view of a player, with some loving the player and others hating him (or 31 hating him and one loving him enough to make him a first-round pick), some scouts are concerned that Bridgewater may never become a starting quarterback in the NFL.
It never ends. :wallbang:

Go screw yourself Rodger Goodell for pushing the draft back. I guess it is what the 'fans wanted' though right?
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:It never ends. :wallbang:

Go screw yourself Rodger Goodell for pushing the draft back. I guess it is what the 'fans wanted' though right?
LOL! You are SO angry.... watch your blood pressure. :)

I think we would have heard this stuff even if the draft hadn't been pushed back. What's interesting about the Bridgewater story now is that there's been a bit of a "bounce back" to analysts rating hims as a top 10 player and one of the top QBs in the draft.

At this point, I'm convinced at least one of the following of two things is going to happen, perhaps both:

1.) At least 2 QBs will go in the top 10 because the prevailing thinking has gradually shifted away from that, even to the point where some analysts don't think any QBs will go in the top 10 and perhaps only two will be drafted in the first round.

2.) There's been so much talk about how the QBs in this draft aren't worthy of a really high pick that it will probably end up being the strongest QB class in years in terms of actual NFL success.

I'm half-joking, of course, but it wouldn't surprise me if it works out that way.