LB prospects for the next draft

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

LB prospects for the next draft

Post by The Breeze »

I'm not someone who follows the college game close enough to know who to be watching right now. I usually watch a lot of regional coverage so I get familiar with Pac12 guys and all the big name QBs.

I get caught before the draft having to watch tape and trust expert analysis on who is what.

So, if anybody has knowledge or just guys they like please list them here so there can be some familiarity with them and chances to see them play before the season is over.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: LB prospects for the next draft

Post by dead_poet »

Keep an eye on these guys.

ILB:
A.J. Johnson (Tennessee)
Andrew Jackson (Western Kentucky)
Shayne Skov (Stanford)
Yawin Smallwood (Connecticut)
Max Bullough (Michigan State)

OLB:
Anthony Barr (UCLA)
C.J. Mosley (Alabama)
Christian Jones (Florida State)
Khalil Mack (Buffalo)
Ryan Shazier (Ohio State)
Kyle Van Noy (Brigham Young)
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Thanks DP. I saw some of Mosely against A&M. He is one of the bigger names out there and I saw him make some good plays.

I watched the Vols play Oregon also....but Tennessee's defense was just too overwhelmed for anyone to stand out.

I should be able to get good looks at the guys from BYU, UCLA and Standford this week.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Chris Borland - LB - Badgers

NFL Media draft expert Mike Mayock compared Wisconsin LB Chris Borland to former Dolphins LB Zach Thomas and a "sawed-off" Luke Kuechly.

Mayock said Borland (5-foot-11, 243 pounds) was "as fun a guy to watch on tape as I have ever seen" and raved about his instincts and quickness. Mayock admitted that Borland's measurables aren't ideal, but said he "wouldn't let this kid get out of the second round." NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah isn't as sold on Borland as Mayock, citing lack of arm length as a major concern.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Ryan Shazier - LB - Player

Ohio State LB Ryan Shazier clocked sub-4.4 forty times at the Buckeyes' Pro Day.

This is in addition to Shazier's highly explosive 42-inch vertical and 10-foot-10 broad jump at the Combine. Shazier is a tick over 6-foot-1 and 237 pounds with striking and coverage skills. He's a likely top-40 draft pick.
Source: Kevin Weidl on Twitter
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Apparently Mike Zimmer attended the Ohio State Pro Day. Probably also checking out cornerback Bradley Roby.

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/ ... bradl.html
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Rick Spielman at Alabama Pro Day, per @RosterWatch. QB AJ McCarron & LB C.J. Mosley expected to participate.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Bucky Brooks makes a case (with some analytics) for Barr over Mack. Interesting read. I may have to do some more scouting.

Anthony Barr vs. Khalil Mack
I don't believe Mack will consistently win with power as a pro, which is why I have concerns about his ability to thrive as a No. 1 rusher for a defense. I see him as a complementary playmaker on the opposite side of a dominant rusher in a 3-4 set.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... ter_nfl_cb
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Ryan Shazier, LB Ohio State. I think he's a late first-round type who should play weakside linebacker on early downs for a 4-3 defense and move to the middle in nickel and dime. He has range to cover, plays with leverage as a pass rusher (watch the Cal game), sheds blockers better than an undersized linebacker should and has the long arms to make plays. Shazier is a good open-field tackler but I would like to see him use his sideline to sideline speed on more consistently.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/pat ... come-along
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

‏@BobMcGinn 7m
#Badgers ILB Chris Borland off one NFL team board with left shoulder problem. Has had two ops already on it; team M.D. feels he's need third
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Shayne Skov - LB - Player

According to TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline, "a number of teams" believe there's a "real chance" Stanford ILB Shayne Skov will go undrafted.

Skov had a big college name, but lacks NFL-caliber athleticism and has injury red flags. "He’s a good guy but slow with major medical red flags," said one college scouting director. "The whole (pre-draft) process has hurt him." Skov didn't work out at the Combine. He ran a 5.09 forty at Stanford's Pro Day.
Source: TFY Draft Insider
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

fiestavike wrote: wow, that is a slow 40 time. I'd take a chance on him in the late rounds.
Agreed on both counts.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

No thanks. Watching the playoffs last year, let's get some real linebackers in here, not undersized defensive ends with little to no sideline to sideline speed, or coverage ability...watching 49ers and Seahawks should show what you need in linebackers nowadays, speed and athleticism!