2014 Mock drafts/Big boards

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: 2014 Mock drafts/Big boards

Post by Purple bruise »

Texas Vike wrote: Yep. And if Ponder just gets the hang of things we really don't need to draft a QB either.

:wink:

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I think we need to address the LB position. Mauti, in particular, is not a sure bet w/ his injury history. He could very well have a trajectory similar to Childs.
You just might be eating your words about Ponder. Clean slate, better coaching, another year to develop, you just never know :wink:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Purple bruise wrote: You just might be eating your words about Ponder. Clean slate, better coaching, another year to develop, you just never know :wink:

Sure, and maybe Mauti will never get hurt again and will have a HOF career. While we're at it, Childs might sign elsewhere and the legend will continue--he'll realize his potential and fulfill the dreams of many posters here.

I'm not holding my breath for any of the above possibilities, however.

More to the point of this thread--we need to address both positions (QB and LB).
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Greg Gabriel's latest mock: http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Moc ... -4203.html
8 – Minnesota Vikings – Derek Carr – QB – Fresno State
The Vikings missed on Christian Ponder three years ago and can’t afford to miss on their QB pick this year. Like the other teams needing a QB, they could pass now and take one later. Word around the league is that Carr is their top rated signal caller and so they pull the trigger right here.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Dirtyswabby
Starter

Post by Dirtyswabby »

dead_poet wrote:Greg Gabriel's latest mock: http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Moc ... -4203.html

That is a very interesting Mock. Im not sure we would pull the trigger on Carr, if Bortles, Bridgewater, and Manziel are all still available.
Representing the Vikings In Raleigh, NC
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Dirtyswabby wrote:
That is a very interesting Mock. Im not sure we would pull the trigger on Carr, if Bortles, Bridgewater, and Manziel are all still available.

Let's see…. "word around the league" … I have seen that refer to our preference for Carr, Mettenberger, and Bortles. Anyone I'm missing?
Dirtyswabby
Starter

Post by Dirtyswabby »

Word around the league last year was the vikings really wanted Manti Teo......
Representing the Vikings In Raleigh, NC
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Texas Vike,
"Sorry, I couldn't resist. I think we need to address the LB position. Mauti, in particular, is not a sure bet w/ his injury history. He could very well have a trajectory similar to Childs.[/quote]
here.
I'm not holding my breath for any of the above possibilities, however.
More to the point of this thread--we need to address both positions (QB and LB).[/quote]

You are the one "wandering" from the point of this topic :wink: I simply said that if Mauti and Hodges develop then the need for drafting a linebacker is greatly lessened. You threw in the Ponder sarcasm. Mauti made it through last year just fine playing mostly special teams and he says that his knee feels 100% better. Time will tell.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Latest by Pete Prisco: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/pet ... on-clowney
8. Minnesota Vikings -- Kyle Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech: They can wait to take a quarterback later in the draft.
Interesting selection. I'm pretty high on Fuller, but I don't know if I'm THIS HIGH on him. Either way, on the surface this looks to be a potential "worst case" scenario for the Vikings with the "big names" predictably going ahead of us. I'm starting to think the Falcons do end up trading into the #1 position for Clowney.

---

Latest by Charles Davis: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/mock-draf ... vis/200853
C.J. MOSLEY ILB, ALABAMA -- So much discussion about a QB going here, but with new head coach Mike Zimmer, a longtime defensive coordinator, in town, a defender gets the nod.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Mosley is a head-scratcher. I've seen him predicted at #8 or higher, but some recent mock drafts don't even have him in the first round.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Fuller at 8 :shock:

I like his playstyle but I think he's still behind Dennard, Gilbert, and Verrett.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

S197 wrote:Fuller at 8 :shock:

I like his playstyle but I think he's still behind Dennard, Gilbert, and Verrett.
I saw that and thought the same thing. The Vikes would have to see something in Fuller that I don't think most others see to take him that high, especially with Bridgewater still on Prisco's board at #8. Heck, I'd almost rather see Spielman go with Carr there than Fuller.

And then Prisco follows up the Fuller pick with a glib "the Vikings can address QB later" comment? How bizarre. If he paid any attention he'd know Spielman has to find an answer at QB. Unless Prisco thinks the Vikes can snag Murray early in the 2nd, I'm not sure what he means.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

fiestavike wrote: And don't forget Roby...my personal favorite CB this year...although gilbert looks pretty good too.
Ohio State CB Bradley Roby was arrested and charged with operating a vehicle while impaired in Columbus, Ohio last weekend.

It's a misdemeanor. According to Roby's agent, his blood-alcohol content was a "negligible .008," and he was "very quickly released on his own recognizance." It's a bigger issue than it otherwise might be because Roby was accused of battery last summer, though the charges were eventually dropped. Roby is a first-round talent who could slide to day two.
-- ElevenWarriors.com
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Why the sad face? You don't want him day two? :-)
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Why Teddy Bridgewater is a 1st-round talent

http://www.thescore.com/news/487831
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:Why Teddy Bridgewater is a 1st-round talent

http://www.thescore.com/news/487831
Thanks for the link!

I certainly won't complain if the Vikings draft him.