QB Pro Days

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: QB Pro Days

Post by dead_poet »

@CSimmsQB Impressive workout by Johnny football. He is a very natural thrower. More impressive than bortles and bridgewater throwing the football
Jon Gruden: “Steve Young is who I see when I watch Johnny Manziel’s tape. Lot of common ground: size, speed, playmaking ability and upside.”
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel unleashes a 60-yard bomb to cap off his pro day, and celebrates with his teammate, wide receiver Mike Evans.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-p ... ith-a-bang
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

ESPN's Ron Jaworski said he was very impressed by Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel's workout.

In fact, Jaworski called it "magnificent" and believes the quarterback's stock will go up after this pro day. Jaworski has been one of Manziel's toughest critics, even saying he would not select the quarterback in the top three rounds of the draft. However, that changed immediately after the workout, as Jaws revealed he would use a top three round pick on Manziel and mentioned he loved that the Aggie wore pads and a helmet while throwing.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

dead_poet wrote:ESPN's Ron Jaworski said he was very impressed by Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel's workout.

In fact, Jaworski called it "magnificent" and believes the quarterback's stock will go up after this pro day. Jaworski has been one of Manziel's toughest critics, even saying he would not select the quarterback in the top three rounds of the draft. However, that changed immediately after the workout, as Jaws revealed he would use a top three round pick on Manziel and mentioned he loved that the Aggie wore pads and a helmet while throwing.

Aw, Jaws…. too funny. Just admit it. You said those things just to get some attention and to boost ratings.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

:espnsx:
Dirtyswabby
Starter

Post by Dirtyswabby »

I have watched the Big 4 Pro Days, Teddy did not inspire me. Bortles puts too much air under his passes, and has a lot of floaters. Carr's pro day was ok I wasn't really wowed by him. But Manziel? Jesus H. christ on a pogostick, I am completely sold on this Kid, He had great velocity on his passes, Accuracy at short, mid, and long range. I was mouth agape watching his Pro Day. I will admit I was not big on Johnny and thought he would be another Tebow, his proday yesterday completely changed my mind. I would trade up for him if I was a GM, he just has it.
Representing the Vikings In Raleigh, NC
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:Mayock talks Manziel: http://www.sports790.com/onair/the-prop ... -12200032/

Thanks for the link. That's good, level-headed analysis from Mayock. I enjoyed listening to it.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Mettenberger Sharp At Pro Day
Mettenberger, who had surgery on Jan. 2 to repair his left knee, threw nearly 125 passes and made every throw while wearing a helmet and shoulder pads -- the new trend started by fellow prospect Johnny Manziel last month.

The 6-foot-5, 224-pounder moved in the pocket and threw on the run at times. And he consistently showed off a big arm that many analysts consider to be among the strongest of this year's draft prospects.

Naturally, Mettenberger showed some signs of fatigue with a few mistimed throws. But observers said he threw even more balls than quarterbacks usually do. And his arm strength remained intact through the workout.

"I thought he did outstanding. Almost miraculous," said LSU offensive coordinator Cam Cameron, the longtime former NFL coach who directed the workout. "Thirteen weeks after surgery, to come out here and throw more than a hundred balls and complete 90-plus percent of them...

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId= ... rc=desktop
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

QB Zach Mettenberger dined with four Vikings officials following his Wednesday Pro Day.

A league source told beat writer Ben Goessling that OC Norv Turner was "calling out routes" he wanted Mettenberger to throw by the end of his workout. Per Goessling, the Vikings are "believed to be high on Mettenberger," who is a classic, big-armed pocket passer in the Troy Aikman-Philip Rivers mold. Turner was Aikman's coordinator in Dallas, and Rivers' head coach in San Diego.

Ben Goessling on Twitter
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Georgia quarterback Aaron Murray threw at his pro day on Wednesday morning, five months after tearing his ACL, but as CBS Atlanta reporter Robbie Rosenhaus told Vikings play-by-play guy Paul Allen on his show this morning, the Vikings only had a scout there. General manager Rick Spielman and coach Mike Zimmer were both at the team facility during the Vikings' offseason workout on Tuesday, and the Vikings have draft hopefuls in town on Wednesday and Thursday for their top-30 prospects event. They've typically been sending Spielman, Zimmer and Turner to meet with quarterbacks after their pro days, and though the Vikings could still schedule a private workout with Murray between now and the draft, their approach to his pro day might indicate he's not as high on their list as other quarterbacks. Then again, we're in that time of year where teams are doing their best to conceal their intentions, and it's always possible the Vikings are trying to do that with Murray.
http://espn.go.com/blog/minnesota-vikin ... n-qb-items
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

In other words, there's really nothing to be gleaned from the Vikings choice to send a scout to Murray's workout instead of Zimmer, turner and Spielman all attending it themselves. ;)

Thanks for the link though!
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

I glean that Spielman is a horrible judge of QBs!!!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl- ... ng-workout
For a prospect who was a four-year SEC starting quarterback and holds numerous school and conference passing records, Georgia's Aaron Murray still has a lot to prove. And on Wednesday at the school's on-campus pro day, he checked a lot of boxes for NFL scouts, most importantly throwing well with his surgically repaired knee.

Murray completed 48 of 54 passes outside on the Bulldogs' practice fields, showing he could throw the entire route tree and that the knee injury wasn't a concern. He suffered a torn ACL in his left knee last November and rehabbed vigorously to be walking without crutches by the NFL combine and looked natural in his movements on Wednesday -- a remarkable recovery in less than five months.

Murray's 54-pass script was run by former NFL quarterback coach, Terry Shea, and was designed to show a myriad of different throws with the former Bulldog quarterback moving, planting and showing full range of motion with his knee.
More at the link.