Twins Topic

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

frosted
Career Elite Player

Twins Topic

Post by frosted »

I don't know if any of you guys are fans of other Minnesota teams, or other sports for that matter, but I am a fan of the 'Boys of Summer'. I figured I would start a thread where we can discuss the Twins. Spare me the jokes, I know, they are bad.

Opening day is tomorrow. I always feel like there is something magical about opening day. Get excited fellas (and ladies)! Chris Sale is throwing for the Sox tomorrow, could be a tough game. Still, I couldn't be more excited.
Last edited by frosted on Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: Twins 2014 Season Topic

Post by PurpleMustReign »

It's really hard for me to get excited about the Twins as long as Ron Gardenhire is the manager. His playoff record is embarassing, and the way he uses his pitchers is worse. They have a great farm system again, so hopefully they will compete sooner rather than later. I am excited for baseball though, no doubt about it!!
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

You know, I'm not huge on baseball, but I'm sad they moved the draft because the last two years when I went up for the Draft Party, my friends and I would hit a Twins game that Friday night. Now we won't be able to. I have to say, that really sucks. It is a fun experience, and I was looking forward to it again. Blah!
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

I went this last Friday night, was a great game to be at! Twins won 10-1 over Kansas City, the first game of a series sweep of the Royals. 12 games in, being 6-6 is much better than I expected. I don't expect them to finish the year with more than 70 to 72 wins, but the offense has been a nice surprise. Baseball is such a grind, so it's good to see some runs scored in bunches, even if it probably won't last long.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Funkytown wrote:You know, I'm not huge on baseball, but I'm sad they moved the draft because the last two years when I went up for the Draft Party, my friends and I would hit a Twins game that Friday night. Now we won't be able to. I have to say, that really sucks. It is a fun experience, and I was looking forward to it again. Blah!

I don't understand... isn't the draft a whole weekend? I think you could still catch a Twins game? :confused:
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

PurpleMustReign wrote:
I don't understand... isn't the draft a whole weekend? I think you could still catch a Twins game? :confused:
Not going all the way to Cleveland or Detroit to watch the Twins. :D That was the point; they're playing out of town.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Funkytown wrote: Not going all the way to Cleveland or Detroit to watch the Twins. :D That was the point; they're playing out of town.
Oh, so it really has nothing to do with the draft. Well, we will let you visit any other time if you want :)
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Oh, so it really has nothing to do with the draft. Well, we will let you visit any other time if you want :)
Aside from the timing of it, no. It was just convenient to watch a game when we were up there. I'd never go all the way up there just for a Twins game; however, if I am already there for something else and there is a game going on, heck yeah, I'll go. It's not working out this year, but I suppose I'll live.

I only go up for Vikings games, the Draft Party, and hopefully the State Fair this year. :D I missed out last year because my friend cancelled last minute, but I am going this year! I've been hungry for all of those foods since I saw them on Bizarre Foods and looked them up online. :P I'm ready!
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

Well, they're sitting 1 game over .500 right now, after stealing one from the Tigers yesterday afternoon, behind a somewhat solid performance by Phil Hughes and the bullpen. I am very happy with our approach at the plate this season, we're leading the league in walks and OBP right now, making opposing pitchers work deep into counts and tire by throwing a lot of pitches. It has been fun to watch them this year.!
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

One thing that I am somewhat exited about is the Twins are showing some pop in their bat (especially the young players) for the first time in quite a while. They have a good core of young players right now, and have more in the minors that should make them more excited once they are ready.
IF... and this is a BIG if... they can get some pitching, they can make some noise in a few years.
KSViking
Veteran

Post by KSViking »

PurpleMustReign wrote:One thing that I am somewhat exited about is the Twins are showing some pop in their bat (especially the young players) for the first time in quite a while. They have a good core of young players right now, and have more in the minors that should make them more excited once they are ready.
IF... and this is a BIG if... they can get some pitching, they can make some noise in a few years.
Thats the problem with the smaller market teams, and MLB. The Timing of developing and having all of your best young up and comers leaves you a window of a couple years to really make a push for a world series. Then their contracts expire, or they try to trade them the year before the contracts expire, so they can get more draft picks and develop more guys. Teams like the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, ect use teams like Twins and Royals the same way that Twins and Royals use their Minor league. If you have a top guy, you end up paying him more then the entire rest of your team, or you gotta let him go. I was surprised they spent the money on Mauer, normally they just let them go to the big spenders.
thatoneguy
Backup

Post by thatoneguy »

PurpleMustReign wrote:One thing that I am somewhat exited about is the Twins are showing some pop in their bat (especially the young players) for the first time in quite a while. They have a good core of young players right now, and have more in the minors that should make them more excited once they are ready.
I completely agree. The Twins can definitely put up runs every game but when you give up 5 - 6 runs a game its hard to keep pace. The bullpen is looking pretty good again this year though. If the starters can start getting quality starts and not burn the bullpen out by the allstar break they could look to be potential playoff contenders this year. I know a long shot but hey i'm an optimist.
"This team makes me drink" - Any Minnesota sports fan
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

Valhalla wrote:Go Twins!
Watching tonight? Hughes is pitching very well again, he is looking like a solid signing. If we win tonight, we are 2 games over .500! Can't remember being in this position this late in the season in quite some time. The last few years have been rough.
DanAS
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by DanAS »

frosted21 wrote:I don't know if any of you guys are fans of other Minnesota teams, or other sports for that matter, but I am a fan of the 'Boys of Summer'. I figured I would start a thread where we can discuss the Twins. Spare me the jokes, I know, they are bad.

Opening day is tomorrow. I always feel like there is something magical about opening day. Get excited fellas (and ladies)! Chris Sale is throwing for the Sox tomorrow, could be a tough game. Still, I couldn't be more excited.
Sure do love my Twins. But it's hard to get a chance to see them here in DC. I did see them beat the Os, which was nice.

It looks like the pitching is MUCH improved, thank God. There's nothing worse than a baseball team with a staff that gets lit up every night -- except a football team that can't stop the run.
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

Valhalla wrote:I liked baseball as a kid and played it but I don't keep up with the Twins real close. They certainly have a legion of fans though and I do cheer them on and our neighbors and one of my best friends are really big into the Twins. So, per Frosted21's remark, I can't talk about the Twins too much.
Cheers!