Master 2013-14 College QB thread

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

big deli Vike
Backup

Re: Master 2013-14 College QB thread

Post by big deli Vike »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:I just don't get how one pro day can just erase three years of great QB play in the case of Teddy Bridgewater. This guy's stock is dropping quick. If we pass on him at eight (unless a guy like Sammy Watkins or Khalil Mack is present) we will regret it. I am sorry, but there is nothing that convinces me that Teddy Bridgewater is NOT the best QB in this draft.
let me try- played very subpar competition. only has one definitive game (UF). lost to blake bortles (who i think isn't a top ten pick either). his bowl game against miami wasn't that impressive (if it was against old miami then sure).
there needs to be stock in his pro day. that shows scouts your mechanics and I dont know if you actually watched it, but he was awful, so many of his passes would've been picked.
none of this tells me a qb is deserving to be a top 10 pick. we wont regret drafting the best D available (mosely, dix, gilbert) and draft a just as good (or better) qb later. no love for SEC qbs? how in the world is Murray not in the "Top QB"
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

big deli Vike wrote: let me try- played very subpar competition. only has one definitive game (UF). lost to blake bortles (who i think isn't a top ten pick either). his bowl game against miami wasn't that impressive (if it was against old miami then sure).
there needs to be stock in his pro day. that shows scouts your mechanics and I dont know if you actually watched it, but he was awful, so many of his passes would've been picked.
none of this tells me a qb is deserving to be a top 10 pick. we wont regret drafting the best D available (mosely, dix, gilbert) and draft a just as good (or better) qb later. no love for SEC qbs? how in the world is Murray not in the "Top QB"
He is comming off of a bad injury but I like him a lot.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:I just don't get how one pro day can just erase three years of great QB play in the case of Teddy Bridgewater. This guy's stock is dropping quick. If we pass on him at eight (unless a guy like Sammy Watkins or Khalil Mack is present) we will regret it. I am sorry, but there is nothing that convinces me that Teddy Bridgewater is NOT the best QB in this draft.

I need to admit that I did not watch too much Louisville FB these past couple of years, but I just don't like the way he throws the ball. It seems to float to me. I watch his videos and I see a lot of passes to guys that aren't covered at all. His release looks awkward to my eye. He just doesn't convince me. Again, I haven't watched enough of him to put too much stock in my opinion of him, but these are the impressions I have on the limited exposure to his tape that I have.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@NU_Gap: Interesting way to compare QBs, nine different categories highlighted by color compared to others

By this chart, Bridgewater and Manziel are the clear winners.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

By this chart, Bridgewater and Manziel are the clear winners.
By the "after they stopped playing actual games" measurement, Bortles is the clear winner. :lol:
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... s-pro-day/
Aaron Murray will throw at Georgia’s Pro Day
Murray’s agent, Pat Dye Jr., told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that Murray has recovered sufficiently that he can drop back, roll out, plant his feet and throw. He’ll do all of that for NFL scouts.

“He looks great,” said his Atlanta-based agent, Pat Dye Jr. “I mean his body composition looks great, his knee looks great, he’s moving around really well, he’s not favoring it at all. His strength and conditioning coaches and his movement coaches down there say they’ve very rarely had anybody come through there with the kind work ethic, drive and passion that he has. He not only will he be able to give them a representative workout at Pro Day, but he’ll be able to do all his drops and roll-outs. He’s not going to run the 40 or do any of the timed drills. There’s no point in that. But he’s throwing the ball great.”
But...he's a cripple who may never walk again is what some people made it sound like. :lol:

Go Aaron Murray! Someone will get a steal no matter where they take you.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Brooks: Savage 'nowhere near ready' for NFL

NFL.com's Bucky Brooks writes that Pittsburgh QB Tom Savage is "nowhere near ready to compete for a starting job in the NFL."

As the hype around Savage grows, and his draft stock soars as a result, it's easy to lose track of the fact that he's a long, long way away from a pro field, and much has to break right in his development to become a long-term NFL starter. "He is erratic with his accuracy and ball placement," wrote Brooks. "He needs to work on controlling the velocity on his ball to make it easier for receivers to catch his passes. Additionally, Savage must develop better footwork and mechanics in the pocket to make up for his lack of athleticism and mobility." Some believe the Panthers' product is headed for the second round, but Brooks cautions against that level of investment. "Given the work Savage needs to do to become a potential starter, he will earn developmental grades (Rounds 4-7) on most boards and enter the league viewed as a probable No. 3 quarterback as a rookie," he wrote.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... eeper-buzz

---

Mayock: Murray most accurate QB in 2014 class

NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock says Georgia QB Aaron Murray is the most accurate QB in the draft class.

"This kid gets it," Mayock said. "He's as accurate as any quarterback in the draft is. ... I really like the kid. I've got to do some more homework on him, because he's kind of changing my perception right now." The analyst said that the more tape he watched of Murray, the more that he liked him. Murray, of course, is the all-time SEC record holder in passing yards (13,166) and TD passes (121). Murray's agent Pat Dye, Jr. said last month that the signal caller has garnered interest from Cincinnati, Jacksonville, Arizona, Minnesota, New Orleans, St. Louis, Cleveland, Houston, Dallas, Oakland, Tennessee and Kansas City. Over the weekend, Dye said "dozens" of NFL teams have contacted him about his client.
Source: Houston SportsTalk 790
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:Mayock: Murray most accurate QB in 2014 class

NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock says Georgia QB Aaron Murray is the most accurate QB in the draft class.

"This kid gets it," Mayock said. "He's as accurate as any quarterback in the draft is. ... I really like the kid. I've got to do some more homework on him, because he's kind of changing my perception right now." The analyst said that the more tape he watched of Murray, the more that he liked him. Murray, of course, is the all-time SEC record holder in passing yards (13,166) and TD passes (121). Murray's agent Pat Dye, Jr. said last month that the signal caller has garnered interest from Cincinnati, Jacksonville, Arizona, Minnesota, New Orleans, St. Louis, Cleveland, Houston, Dallas, Oakland, Tennessee and Kansas City. Over the weekend, Dye said "dozens" of NFL teams have contacted him about his client.
Source: Houston SportsTalk 790

Thanks for the info. I'm not surprised that Mayock likes Murray or that teams are showing a lot of interest in him. He's a very good player and he's one of the QBs in this draft I find most intriguing. I've seen him projected to go as low as the 4th or 5th round but if teams feel comfortable with the progress he's made in rehabbing his knee injury, I think he's likely to go much higher than that. He has as much potential to succeed as some of the more talked about names in this draft. If his pro day goes well, I'll bet mock drafters will be falling over themselves to move him up their boards.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

This is valid criticism and worrisome because I've seen this show up on film too.
Pointed out to me..."How many times does Manziel have what looks to be his first read available BUT still won't deliver the ball, and why?"
@LRiddickESPN on Twitter
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

dead_poet wrote:This is valid criticism and worrisome because I've seen this show up on film too.
@LRiddickESPN on Twitter
Because a three yard gain doesn't win a game. A 70 yard TD bomb might.
After watching check down charlie for three years...

If Wilson threw to his first read every time they were open, they wouldn't have a super bowl. :confused:
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Demi wrote:
Because a three yard gain doesn't win a game. A 70 yard TD bomb might.
After watching check down charlie for three years...

If Wilson threw to his first read every time they were open, they wouldn't have a super bowl. :confused:
Did you come up with all that by yourself?! :-)

It matters because the NFL is on another level. Wanting the opposite of Ponder or just plain wanting bombs thrown all the time won't get it done either. Situational football matters. Connecting on those first reads and check downs, sometimes, maybe even oftentimes, is the difference between winning and losing.

I just want players and coaches who understand situational football and freakin' execute. I don't care if it's pretty or not. A win is a win.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Connecting on those first reads and check downs, sometimes, maybe even oftentimes, is the difference between winning and losing.
As long as you're capable, and willing, to try and make a play when it's there. Which plenty of QBs aren't. Whether it's physical, or confidence..."oftentimes" is "game managing", it doesn't win games. It "doesn't lose" them. Look at Favre in the 49ers game. I'll take JFB trying that over Ponder checking down on third and long...or throwing a 40~ yard hail mary that doesn't even make it into the end zone on the final play of a game...
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

It doesn't work like that in the NFL in 2014. This isn't college or the NFL of the 1960s. Quarterbacks don't break plays off, run around like a chicken and heave the ball 40 yards downfield to a receiver who's been running in circles for five or six seconds waiving his hand and yelling "I'm open!"

Manziel's questionable pocket presence and his inability to deliver the ball to open primary receivers are so eerily similar to what we've seen out of the Vikings' former 1st round draft pick from FSU, that they have to be giant, glaring, honking red flags for everyone in the organization.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Eli wrote:It doesn't work like that in the NFL in 2014. This isn't college or the NFL of the 1960s. Quarterbacks don't break plays off, run around like a chicken and heave the ball 40 yards downfield to a receiver who's been running in circles for five or six seconds waiving his hand and yelling "I'm open!"

Manziel's questionable pocket presence and his inability to deliver the ball to open primary receivers are so eerily similar to what we've seen out of the Vikings' former 1st round draft pick from FSU, that they have to be giant, glaring, honking red flags for everyone in the organization.
You would think so...
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

ESPN - Pro Football Hall of Famer Roger Staubach: I'd draft Johnny Manziel over Jadeveon Clowney