QB Pro Days

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

QB Pro Days

Post by dead_poet »

Watch David Fales here: http://www.sjsuspartans.com/sports/m-fo ... 14aaa.html

It's kind of hard to know when the official program starts. Maybe at the one-hour, 10-minute mark. Or one-hour, 25-minute mark. Not sure.

Edit: I think now the official scripted 53 throws starts at 1-hour, 35-minute mark.

Overall, I thought Fales looked sharper than Bortles.

Analysis
One high-ranking NFL official on hand for San Jose State's workout characterized senior quarterback David Fales' scripted 52-play throwing session as "pretty damn good." Fales reportedly only missed on one pass the entire day -- a deep post that sailed just a bit long.

The scout also passed along that he timed wideout Chandler Jones at 4.38 seconds in both of his attempts at the 40-yard dash.

The underrated duo personified a San Jose State program that didn't generate a lot of national attention in 2013 but clearly is valued by NFL scouts, as evidenced by the fact that 35 scouts representing 25 NFL teams attended the Pro Day.

Fales, who out-played Fresno State's Derek Carr in a highly anticipated showdown November 29 that ended the Bulldogs' then-undefeated season, ranks as one of the more intriguing second-tier quarterbacks in the 2014 draft class. He struggled early with illness at the Senior Bowl but improved each day in Mobile and was at his best during the all-important Wednesday practice. His reputation as a gamer only improved this Wednesday, as well, as he showed impressive accuracy throughout the throwing session.

While Fales' ball placement is worth noting, the reason he's viewed as a second-tier prospect rather than a potential first round candidate is that he lacks ideal arm strength. Fales relies on anticipation and accuracy to be effective -- traits which could lead to success in a traditional West Coast Offense-based scheme but may not cut it in other, more aggressive vertical passing attacks.

Fales' highly accurate passes left scouts impressed but it was the speed demonstrated by his former receiver, Jones, that could wind up having a greater impact on draft day.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl- ... te-workout
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: QB Pro Days

Post by dead_poet »

Fresno QB Derek Carr vomited last night and went to the hospital for treatment and IVs, per source. But plans to go thru w pro day in full.
@MikeGarafolo on Twitter
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

dead_poet wrote: @MikeGarafolo on Twitter
Nerves, maybe?

Good for him to push through. Good luck, too!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Funkytown wrote:Nerves, maybe?

Good for him to push through. Good luck, too!
Apparently, it was a virus:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... talization
NFL Media insider Ian Rapoport reports that Carr spent Wednesday night battling a stomach virus. He was throwing up, and was treated with an IV. Carr was, however, able to keep every meeting that he had planned prior to the workout, and the quarterback still intends to throw on Thursday.

"He will be ready," a source told Rapoport.

"I'm doing fine and I feel a lot better than I did at about 5 a.m. this morning," Carr told NFL Network on Thursday morning.
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

Didn't know where else to put this, but here's a link to to PA interviewing Zimmer and they talk about Bridgewater's pro day. Interesting quote from Zimmer:

PA: With Bridgewater and that reportedly uneven pro day. Any word on what happened to him that day?

Zimmer: You know Paul, honestly I wasn't even there that day, and I know that it was reported that I was, but I have not seen the workout. Obviously I've talked to Norv and those guys and from what Norv's told me it wasn't anything like what is being reported

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/audi ... 8ac5fe8d7e
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

saint33 wrote:Zimmer: You know Paul, honestly I wasn't even there that day, and I know that it was reported that I was, but I have not seen the workout. Obviously I've talked to Norv and those guys and from what Norv's told me it wasn't anything like what is being reported
Hmm. Very, very interesting.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Norv is at Carr's workout today:

http://nflspinzone.com/2014/03/20/norv- ... s-pro-day/

Edit: Apparently, Rick Spielman is there too, as are representatives of the Raiders and Jaguars.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Tweeted impressions of Carr's pro day workout from NFLN's @PaulWBurmeister
— Not a trace of wind inside Bulldog Stadium here. Warm but not hot. Ideal conditions for a QB to show off.

— 30 throws into workout, ball hasn't touched the ground. Looks sharp.

— The no-hitter won't happen. 43rd pass underthrown and hit the ground.

— Carr's workout over. Sharp and consistent throughout. 60 passes and I don't recall a real bad throw. He did very well.
Fresno Bee sports columnist Marek Warszawski (‏@MarekTheBee) tweeted:
— Derek Carr showed too much arm strength on some of his deep throws.
— Derek Carr completed 56 of 63 passes during pro day workout. Most incompletions were overthrows on deep balls.
— Derek Carr completed 46 straight passes in pro day workout before a drop.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Rob Rang's take on Carr's pro day: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl- ... -bad-throw

He also talks about WR Davante Adams and TE Marcel Jensen, who apparently had good workouts.

------------------

NFL.com has a blog dedicated to pro days:

http://blogs.nfl.com/category/pro-days/

You can get Burmeister's take in a video clip at the link above. He was asked to compare Carr's workout to Bortles' and his response was interesting.
All 32 NFL teams were represented at Fresno State’s pro day on Thursday inside Bulldog Stadium, where quarterback Derek Carr took center stage to showcase his skills in front of such notables as the entire Oakland Raiders coaching staff (including head coach Dennis Allen), Minnesota Vikings general manager Rick Spielman and offensive coordinator Norv Turner.

The Raiders met with Carr this morning before the pro day workout.

Carr managed to execute what Turner said was “an outstanding workout” despite spending part of Wednesday in the hospital.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Norv Turner, on Derek Carr's pro day:
“Obviously, he was very impressive today,” Turner said per Associated Press. “He came out and showed he has a strong arm, very accurate, he made all the throws. He had a heck of a workout.”
Magnus1959
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Magnus1959 »

Jeffbleedspurple wrote:And Bridgwater looked awful :lol:
He sure did.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Big arm guys will always look great in their pro day. It's partially the reason Mayock and the scouts were "wowed" by JaMarcus Russell. I think even Kyle Boller threw the ball 65 yards from his knee (and was subsequently drafted in the 1st). Problem is you put on the pads, have four 300lb guys bull rushing you and this happens:

dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Johnny Manziel wearing helmet, pads during pro day
NFL Media senior analyst Gil Brandt was able to wrangle Manziel prior to his workout, and asked him why he made the decision. Manziel's response: "Isn't the game played with them on?"

A source told Breer of Manziel's decision to throw in pads: "Because anyone can throw in a t-shirt and shorts."

Scouts will no doubt appreciate the move, and it's not a bad idea, necessarily, for Manziel to do something to set himself apart from the other quarterback prospects in the draft.

"Scouts will love it," an NFC scout not assigned to Manziel's pro day told College Football 24/7 via text message. "Just something no one has ever done before."
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... on-pro-day
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

‏@AlbertBreer 1m
With all the caveats needed applied here about pro days, Manziel has been really impressive today.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Manziel 61-of-64: 1 drop, 1 low miss, 1 out of bounds.
Interesting: McShay/Polian in agreement that Johnny Manziel has stronger arm than Blake Bortles or Teddy Bridgewater.
@SeifertESPN on Twitter
‏@greggabe Analysts are talking Manzi's arm vs Bortles. My take.. Manziel's is good. Bortles is average
Damn “@RichCimini: Manziel is slinging it. Bill Polian says Manziel's deep ball reminds him of Jim Kelly. #nyj”
‏@greggabeThey are saying that last throw was 60+ yards, it wasn't it was 55. Threw from 40, caught at 5
Some GIFs of his throws and more "live" observations: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2008 ... highlights