A BEHIND-THE-SCENES LOOK AT THE NFL SCOUTING PROCESS

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

A BEHIND-THE-SCENES LOOK AT THE NFL SCOUTING PROCESS

Post by dead_poet »

Got some time? This was very educational/insightful.
THE BOTTOM LINE

While certain picks may seem capricious or uninspired to fans and the media, hundreds of man-hours and highly developed methodologies go in to each and every player grade and each and every selection. Each decision, at least in most cases, is backed up by layers of quality control and safe-guards in order to somehow try to mitigate risk, but ultimately it all comes down to one thing: it's exceedingly difficult to evaluate the future performance of a human being.
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/3/6/54 ... -big-board
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: A BEHIND-THE-SCENES LOOK AT THE NFL SCOUTING PROCESS

Post by Texas Vike »

I enjoyed this line from Pete Carroll:
"The most important characteristic is grit," he continued. "That's the most crucial characteristic that helps somebody be successful. If they continue to hang, continue to fight -- and that's the competitiveness we're looking for -- there's always a chance they can pull it together. If you do a little homework, read up on what grit is all about, it's about persistence and resiliency, and an inner strength and belief you can get it done. That's what's most important. If guys don't have that, you can only take them so far."
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:I enjoyed this line from Pete Carroll:
That line stood out to me as well. If there was ever an endorsement for drafting a player like Manziel, that sure sounds like it.

Thanks for the link, dead_poet. That was a fascinating read.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Very insightful.

After reading all that, it just makes it that much more apparent that it's foolish to simply blame one guy for draft failures. Oh, man. Some people are not going to like that. :)

No, really, that was a great read. Thanks for posting, DP.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Mothman wrote:
That line stood out to me as well. If there was ever an endorsement for drafting a player like Manziel, that sure sounds like it.
I was thinking the same thing as I was reading...
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Funkytown wrote:Very insightful.

After reading all that, it just makes it that much more apparent that it's foolish to simply blame one guy for draft failures. Oh, man. Some people are not going to like that. :)

Not to worry... they'll just keep on blamin'...