2014 NFL Combine Notes

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: 2014 NFL Combine Notes

Post by dead_poet »

Darqueze Dennard - DB - Player

Michigan State CB Darqueze Dennard clocked an official forty time of 4.51 at the NFL Scouting Combine.

He was "unofficially" timed as fast as 4.42. This quiets the speed concerns surrounding Dennard, who played a ton of press coverage on Michigan State's defense and plays with a lot of intensity. He's NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock's top-rated cornerback prospect and a lock first-round pick.

---
Justin Gilbert - DB - Player

Oklahoma State CB Justin Gilbert led the 2014 cornerback in the forty-yard dash, registering a time of 4.37.

His fastest "unofficial" hand time was 4.35. Gilbert goes 5-foot-11 3/4, 202, so he has an outstanding size-speed combination at his position. He also has lengthy 33 1/8-inch arms. Gilbert led the Big 12 with six interceptions in 2013, though his pass coverage was more spotty throughout his college career due to inconsistent technique. He's still a projected first-rounder.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Ha Ha Clinton-Dix - DB - Player

Alabama S Ha Ha Clinton-Dix clocked an official forty time of 4.58 at the NFL Scouting Combine.

It's a solid time for Ha Ha, who was "unofficially" hand timed as fast as 4.50. Clinton-Dix and Calvin Pryor are duking it out to be this year's first safety drafted. Rotoworld's Josh Norris prefers Clinton-Dix, though it's quite close. Both players are in discussion to be top-20 overall selections.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Calvin Pryor - DB - Player

Louisville S Calvin Pryor clocked a 4.58 official forty time at the Combine.

His forty time is the exact same as fellow highly-rated safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, who played at Alabama. Pryor also did 18 reps on the 225-pound bench press with a 34 1/2-inch vertical at a shade over 5-foot-11 and 207 pounds. Pryor is in the conversation to be this year's first safety off the board.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Some defensive backs to keep an eye as potential second round picks would be: Jimmie Ward (safety from NIU), Deone Bucannon (safety from Washington), Keith McGill (corner from Utah), LaMarcus Joyner (slot/safety from FSU).
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:Some defensive backs to keep an eye as potential second round picks would be: Jimmie Ward (safety from NIU), Deone Bucannon (safety from Washington), Keith McGill (corner from Utah), LaMarcus Joyner (slot/safety from FSU).
I'd love to see the Vikes draft Ward! I think he's the kind of instinctive football player that could thrive in Zimmer's defense. It's a shame he couldn't compete at the combine.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Glad to see Dennard with some speed. Everyone knew Gilbert was going to be faster but Dennard is the better coverage guy and the one I would take given the two.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

fiestavike wrote: Dennard looked absolutely awful in the field drills. Terribly stiff hips. Mayock and Deion both sounded worried. Both agreed he would have to play press (not versatile) and Deion said that in the NFL, teams will find ways to force him off if he can't cover off effectively.

just fyi.
I think for Dennard it was a bigger deal to show he has decent speed, the tapes should show the guy can flat out cover. Gilbert has a higher boom/bust potential, is he going to end up like Claiborne or like a Patrick Petersen? Tough to say but I think guys like Cook and Robinson have shown that great combine numbers don't always translate to the field.

I think either Gilbert or Dennard would be an okay pick at #8, I trust Zimmer's ability to evaluate and pick the guy who better fits his system. I think he would go for the more physical Dennard who would work well opposite Rhodes but it's hard to deny the athleticism of Gilbert. Is it May yet?
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

Gilbert is more than athleticism. The kid can play. I honestly don't know what there is to dislike about the kid, he's versatile, has played both man and zone concepts in college and done both well. He has ideal size and speed and was probably the most fluid DB at the combine. He's instinctive, makes plays on the ball and had 7 ints this past season. He's a very good kick return and has a little experience returning punts. He's the total package.
KSViking
Veteran

Post by KSViking »

Mothman wrote: I'd love to see the Vikes draft Ward! I think he's the kind of instinctive football player that could thrive in Zimmer's defense. It's a shame he couldn't compete at the combine.
I really like Deone Bucannon , I feel like he is one of those guys that will def NOT be a 1st round pick, but as far as I can predict from tape and workouts, he would be a day 1 starter for the safety position opposite of Smith for the Vikes. I am hoping he slips to 3rd round, might be asking too much there. Jean Baptiste also looked pretty good in the combine drills. He isn't going to light up the world with speed, but he seemed pretty fluid in drills and he has good size.

I still like Mosley, but I am coming around to Mack a bit more than before, but I fear he will be gone to either ATL or TB right in front of us. Mosley looked pretty good in drills as well, but have noticed on many of the "experts" big boards, they have moved him down a bit. Did something show up in medical? I know they have mentioned he has had some shoulder injuries and some things that have kept him off the field in the past.

Overall, I liked what I saw all around in the combine. I think that some of our positions of need have alot of depth, and we could come away from the draft with 3-4 day one starter/upgrades over guys that are slotted into roster spots right now. Add that to maybe 1 or 2 free agent signings, and new coaching schemes, and I think we could really see vast improvement this year over last. Only spot I worry about alot is the QB. I don't think there are any Free Agents that are great, and I think anyone we pick will need a year or 2 to learn the pro game.